Analysis of the Prelude to the Stormlight Archive

Telcontar

Brandon has said that Szeth is not on the path to Radiantness like Kaladin, something different is happening with Szeth, so yeah, he's probably not bonded to a spren like Kaladin is.

also, Syl made it clear at one point that she could break the bond between herself and Kaladin, so I'd imagine that if somebody bonded to an honorspren started acting really dishonorably the spren would break the bond.

Edited by CrazyRioter

Dalinar notices that he doesn't ever see nay spren either. I think it's because Nahel spren rarely show themselves to people other than the person they are bonded with, and whatever event that created the normal spren that everyone sees hasn't happened yet. (Honor's death?)

My assumption is unlikely at least because Soulcasting is much more likely to be Transformation and thus being a type of Surgebinding (I slowly gather knowledge around other threads, yes ;) )

Then, as you say, if Shardwielding is a distinct type of magic, I would first wonder if it's another magic type like Surgebinding. Or if it's a sub-category to one of these.

Surgebinding is linked to Honor. If I understood conclusions in this forum right, then you gain abilities by bonding to an Honorspren. Which is attracted to you because you act honorable (Kaladin by protecting young recruits and bribing the surgeons to care for his men). So, if you stop acting honorable, would the bond uphold? (what is the opposite of honorable, by the way?) Let's say it does.

In that case Szeth wouldn't get his abilities by a bond with an Honorspren. Either because he never acted honorable in the first place or because he stopped acting honorable by killing everything simply because his master desires it.

But he still has his powers. Which would point to a conclusion that what he does is not Surgebinding but something different. What that might be, is another question.

(Related questions would be: how did Szeth get his powers? Did he learn the Lashings by someone? His expertise in that area seems to point that way? so, do Shin still possess knowledge of Surgebinding and whatever that is?)

I know that Szeth isn't supposed to be "on the same path" as Kaladin or whatever, but I'll just add:

It is my opinion that Szeth is actually one of the most "honourable" characters in that book, excluding Dalinar and Kaladin. Szeth is doing something he despises because he perceives it as his assigned tast. He doesn't want to kill anyone, but because of his own sense of duty and honour he has to obey the owner of that crystal. While his actions might be considered "dishonourable", his motivations paint a different story entirely.

It is my opinion that Szeth is actually one of the most "honourable" characters in that book, excluding Dalinar and Kaladin. Szeth is doing something he despises because he perceives it as his assigned tast. He doesn't want to kill anyone, but because of his own sense of duty and honour he has to obey the owner of that crystal. While his actions might be considered "dishonourable", his motivations paint a different story entirely.

In the coppermind wiki about Honor it says that his intent is to uphold agreements, to bind things. Well, Szeth definitely upholds his oath or whatever binds him. But if that would be what attracts an Honorspren, he would be on his path to become a KR which appearently is not going to happen.

And I liked the Szeth-chapters a lot.

Err.. Just so you know, the Wiki is not entirely canon. It's our current interpretation of canon, but it's not always right.

Because, after all, there seems to be two definitions of Honor that apply here.. There's upholding your word, keeping to your agreements no matter what, and then there's the acting Honorable as in doing the right thing, no matter what the cost.

Certainly, with what Syl says, and with her being an Honorspren, it makes sense that her explanation of what she is, and what Honor is would be similar. But we don't know.

I'm still not sure if Taln was betrayed to make certain that someone would stay bound to the Oathpact, or if he just got unlucky. I also wonder if Shalash's destruction of images of herself is tied into a deeper guilt of betraying/abandoning Taln/the Oathpact, it would be the worst for her if she loved Taln.

Edited.

structuring the post, correcting some typos. Changed my mind about thunderclasts and tried to depict the controversy about thunderclasts and chasmfiends. Excluded Shardwielding because I don't really have an idea what it is and it's really not in the Prelude (as if that would have kept me from inserting other stuff, I know :) )

Finally I added a funny theory about Honorblades.

• Chaos locked this topic