Which Shard invested the sun?

Belgarad

Thanks for looking Teamayne

6 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

This one?

Hide contents

Yosef Joe

If Brandon got a Shard, what Shard would it be and what would he do with it?

Brandon Sanderson

I don't know, I've been asked something along these lines before. I do fit Autonomy pretty well, but I also feel like I fit Invention pretty well, so probably one of those two. There's definitely some that are not very Brandon. Whimsy: not a very Brandon Shard, let's just point that one out, but I could see myself with bunches of them.

What would I do? Pocket universes and... I guess you can't really create those in the... well you can and in the Spiritual Realm, but... Y'know, building funky planets and weird magic systems, that's what I do anyway. You would probably just float through the cosmere and find just planet after planet of screwball magic systems that people are trying to figure out how to use and being like wow, the person who did this, why did they make us use magic based on bagel flavors, can't we have the one where we just fly?

But no. I did see that one as well when I was searching yesterday.

The conversation I am remembering was with an initial question and answer was unrelated to Whimsey but that, whoever was moderating (in my head it was Matt Hatch) asked something like “what about a Whimsey invested world” which got the further comment from Brandon.

18 minutes ago, Hoids4thApprentice said:

Thanks for looking Teamayne

But no. I did see that one as well when I was searching yesterday.

The conversation I am remembering was with an initial question and answer was unrelated to Whimsey but that, whoever was moderating (in my head it was Matt Hatch) asked something like “what about a Whimsey invested world” which got the further comment from Brandon.

Further WoBs:

Spoiler

ImKrypton

If there was Any shard to be offered to Hoid, it would have been this one [Whimsy].

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid is far too calculating and deliberate for Whimsy. It might seem his style on the surface, but a deep dive into who he is would show that it's very much not who he is.

DeJeR

Will we ever see the world or magic system for Whimsy?

Brandon Sanderson

Some day, hopefully.

No_Doughnut8618

Do you have a plan for Whimsy's planet already, like with a developed magic system and maybe a story to go along with it? Or is it kind of a wild card?

Brandon Sanderson

I have plans, but that doesn't prevent wild cards. Let's just say I have plans, that doesn't prevent me from changing it as things develop. The only two planets that I'm unlikely to change are Yolen and the Aether planet at this point. Those most likely need to remain canonized for reasons that they are being worked into the narratives. Everything else can be flexible.

And you assume that there's one planet for Whimsy, and that it is a planet, don't make assumptions.

No_Doughnut8618

If you've got a plan can we get any little detail about any of it?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah; making assumptions.

There aren;t many WoB's that use Whimsy by-name - so it may be an oblique reference?

What does the behavior of the investiture tell you?

Endowment’s all about the giving of Breath.

Honor is about oaths and bonds.

Virtuosity likes rock stacking and Dramas on TV.

Ruin is about impaling people

There’s usually some clue in how power is transferred and obtained.

I need to go through this again.  I’m not certain but this power seems like it’s something that is easily taken. The planet draws investiture into itself.  The Cinder King drains people, Zellion drains the Cinder King, etc.  people can’t touch each other without some sort of transfer.  Makes me think: Ambition, Endowment, maybe someone we haven’t met yet.

Edited by Elder

1 hour ago, Elder said:

What does the behavior of the investiture tell you?

Endowment’s all about the giving of Breath.

Honor is about oaths and bonds.

Virtuosity likes rock stacking and Dramas on TV.

Ruin is about impaling people

There’s usually some clue in how power is transferred and obtained.

I need to go through this again.  I’m not certain but this power seems like it’s something that is easily taken. The plan draws investiture into itself.  The Cinder King drains people, Zellion drains the Cinder King, etc.  people can’t touch each other without some sort of transfer.  Makes me think: Ambition, Endowment, maybe someone we haven’t met yet.

Would it be crazy if its mercy?

2 hours ago, ConfusionSpren said:

I think it is most likely to be endowment, and of all the shards we know, I feel like Mercy is one of the least likely shards for it to be. There is still a shard that we do not know, so it might be that.

I actually think Mercy's a decent guess. The power is obtained through what was supposed to be mercy killings after all. Mercy's definitely more more likely than Valor imo. Ambition would be my guess though due to them being Threnodites.

1 hour ago, The Known Novel said:

I actually think Mercy's a decent guess. The power is obtained through what was supposed to be mercy killings after all. Mercy's definitely more more likely than Valor imo. Ambition would be my guess though due to them being Threnodites.

I see your point, mercy does fit. I agree that Valor would be a stretch. Wasn’t Ambition splintered before they left threnody though? They mention the evil and if I recall correctly Ambition was splintered before the evil occurred.