prayingforsuperpowers

Question

I haven’t been able to read Aether of Night yet, but I’m curious if we know of other Aethers besides Crimson, Rosite, Sunlight, Zephyr, Midnight, and Verdant? 

spoilers for the Lost Metal and Tress:

Spoiler

Also, do we know why Twin Soul survived for so long and Captain Crow was terminal? Like what was the difference there?

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

Aether Of Night contains at least 3 Aethers that were not in Tress. It also has "Amberite" instead of "Roseite" but in practice they are the same thing, and as has already been stated, it isn't canon, so it isn't clear how reliable it is as a source.

Aether of Night spoilers:

Almost (AoN Spoilers and Spoiler Spoilers)

Hide contents

Aether of Night contains 4 known Aethers, though they work more like Twin Soul's use than in Tress. The bonding process is a bit different from TwinSoul's and entirely different from anything seen in Tress. Aethers in AoN have no water consumption as part of the bond.

Verdant - pretty much identical to what we see elsewhere

Amberite - Very similar to Roseite - there are some properties we have not yet seen in TwinSoul's use of Rosite, and some uses of Rosite that were not present in AoN.

Bestarin - Animal Aether, which allows any wound to be healed instantly by grafting animal skin/limbs over a wound (e. g. an early Bestarin shown has an Owl Eye replacing one eye and an Eagle claw replacing one hand) They are the primary soldiers and warriors.

Ferrous - Is the Aether of Metal and has some normal effects in communicating with Fabrials* and other metalworking. Ferrous Aedin show an emotional detachment due to their bond. A Ferrrous Aedin may voluntarily become a Corpate (a type of Aether Fabrial) which can have one of a number of forms, but once bound to a form, the change is permanent and only a Ferrous bonded still in human form can communicate with a Corpate. 

Then there are the Vo-Dari - the priests that can use a Sending (a Gift of the ancestors to the priesthood, which is open to all races and ethnicities) to teleport things and people nearly anywhere. 

Spoiler

Over the course of the book, they learn that :

Illuminous - the true bond of the Vo Dari, kept secret - allows the user to teleport other people (not yourself)

Night - the titular Aether of Night -  similar to Midnight Aether in Tress, but also capable of teleportation (only self, not others) and can also be used to augment other Aethers, if somebody has two bonds. 

Ch 17:

Darro shrugged again. “Amberite and Verdant are opposites, and they both grow things. Ferrous and Bestarin are opposites, and they both transform their hosts into something else. Maybe Night and Illuminous both Send.”

**Using "Fabrial" here in accordance with the WoB that says eventually Fabrial will be the Cosmere catch-all term for any MagiTech - not just things powered by Stormlight.

39 minutes ago, prayingforsuperpowers said:

I haven’t been able to read Aether of Night yet, but I’m curious if we know of other Aethers besides Crimson, Rosite, Sunlight, Zephyr, Midnight, and Verdant? 

spoilers for the Lost Metal and Tress:

Hide contents

Also, do we know why Twin Soul survived for so long and Captain Crow was terminal? Like what was the difference there?

I haven't read AoN too, but I think this isn't canon.

Regarding TwinSoul and Crow, on Lumar Primal Aethers are a parasitic strain of Aethers, not present anywhere else in Cosmere. They forcefully bond with people making them into Spore eaters, and constantly drain them out of water. Spore eaters have no control over Aethers, and Aethers only protect them from injuries and death.

TwinSoul on the other hand is Aetherbound with a Primal Aethers which isn't from Lumar and isn't parasitic. Aetherbound can not only communicate with their Primal Aether, but also control and grow Aethers which requires water. But Aetherbound isn't constantly drained out of water like Spore eaters are, this isn't killing them nor do they feel pain.

Aether Of Night contains at least 3 Aethers that were not in Tress. It also has "Amberite" instead of "Roseite" but in practice they are the same thing, and as has already been stated, it isn't canon, so it isn't clear how reliable it is as a source.

Aether of night spoilers:

Spoiler

Aether of Night contains 6 Aethers, though they work more like Twin Soul's use than in Tress. in fact I don't thin they ever appear as spores at all:

Midnight - the titular Aether of Night -  pretty much identical to Tress

Amberite - same thing as Roseite

Bestarin - i don't remember the details precisely, but I think this one transformed the user into something that was partly animal. don't have time to search my copy for the exact language.

Ferrous - encases the user in metal. in AoN this appears to be permanent, though again i'm a bit sketchy on the details.

Illuminous - allows the user to teleport people (and maybe objects - don't recall if it is ever used that way)

42 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Almost (AoN Spoilers and Spoiler Spoilers)

Hide contents

Aether of Night contains 4 known Aethers, though they work more like Twin Soul's use than in Tress. The bonding process is a bit different from TwinSoul's and entirely different from anything seen in Tress. Aethers in AoN have no water consumption as part of the bond.

Amberite - Very similar to Roseite - there are some properties we have not yet seen in TwinSoul's use of Rosite, and some uses of Rosite that were not present in AoN.

Bestarin - Animal Aether, which allows any wound to be healed instantly by grafting animal skin/limbs over a wound (e. g. an early Bestarin shown has an Owl Eye replacing one eye and an Eagle claw replacing one hand) They are the primary soldiers and warriors.

Ferrous - Is the Aether of Metal and has some normal effects in communicating with Fabrials* and other metalworking. Ferrous Aedin show an emotional detachment due to their bond. A Ferrrous Aedin may voluntarily become a Corpate (a type of Aether Fabrial) which can have one of a number of forms, but once bound to a form, the change is permanent and only a Ferrous bonded still in human form can communicate with a Corpate. 

Then there are the Vo-Dari - the priests that can use a Sending (a Gift of the ancestors to the priesthood, which is open to all races and ethnicities) to teleport things and people nearly anywhere. 

Hide contents

Over the course of the book, they learn that :

Illuminous - the true bond of the Vo Dari, kept secret - allows the user to teleport other people (not yourself)

Night - the titular Aether of Night -  similar to Midnight Aether in Tress, but also capable of teleportation (only self, not others) and can also be used to augment other Aethers, if somebody has two bonds. 

Ch 17:

**Using "Fabrial" here in accordance with the WoB that says eventually Fabrial will be the Cosmere catch-all term for any MagiTech - not just things powered by Stormlight.

yea, that's a lot more detail than my mostly half-remembered read from a few years ago.

AoN Spoilers

Spoiler

I am of the opinion that Ferrous is still a thing, but that Beastarian isn't. The Essence of Beastarian would have been replaced by Crimson, as both are about bioloigical material. With crimson being like coral. This is stated by a WoB. 

I say this as the Aethers roughly correspond to Essences (supported by WoB)

Zephyr is obviously Zephyr/Jes

Verdant is Pulp/Palah

Crimson is Flesh/Ishi

Sunlight is Fire/Chach

Roseite I believe is Crystal/Vev

Ferrous would be Metal/Kak.

Meaning, what we have left is one for Stone/Bone, Opaque Gas or Smoke, Blood and non-oil Liquid, and Oil. 

However, I do believe that Ferrous would likely be very different in canon than in AoN.

3 hours ago, Firesong said:

AoN Spoilers

Hide contents

I am of the opinion that Ferrous is still a thing, but that Beastarian isn't. The Essence of Beastarian would have been replaced by Crimson, as both are about bioloigical material. With crimson being like coral. This is stated by a WoB. 

I say this as the Aethers roughly correspond to Essences (supported by WoB)

Zephyr is obviously Zephyr/Jes

Verdant is Pulp/Palah

Crimson is Flesh/Ishi

Sunlight is Fire/Chach

Roseite I believe is Crystal/Vev

Ferrous would be Metal/Kak.

Meaning, what we have left is one for Stone/Bone, Opaque Gas or Smoke, Blood and non-oil Liquid, and Oil. 

However, I do believe that Ferrous would likely be very different in canon than in AoN.

Of course, there is the problem that you put ten proposed aethers, but we know there are twelve varieties.

33 minutes ago, Firesong said:

I believe that Midnight and another one fit outside of the ten. That it is 10 Essences and 2 special ones. 

Maybe Sunlight? Although that does fit pretty well with Chach. But the other special one would probably be an opposite of midnight.

Just now, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

Maybe Sunlight? Although that does fit pretty well with Chach. But the other special one would probably be an opposite of midnight.

Nah, Sunlight is definitely just Chach. Both deal with fire and heat. 

I feel we just haven't seen the counterpart of Midnight yet. Nor do we have any reason to think they would necessarily be opposites. Also, note, these are just names given to them by humans, having opposite names doesn't mean they are actually opposites. And, seeing the traits of both, I would argue that they aren't opposites, their effects are quite unrelated. Production of heat and light, versus the creation of entities out of Midnight Essence which one can control and "possess." Seem very different from one another.