No dual Shard after SA5

CMac716

So, I'm on a relisten of TLM, made it to Shai's first convo with Merasi. There's a point in this conversation where Shai explicitly states that Harmony, holding two Shards, is the most invest being in the Cosmere. This from the Ghostbloods, who were present on Roshar during the books.

They would know for certain if another Shard was combined there. At the most, we will have two 1.5xShards. Cult + Honor and Odium + Honor.

2 hours ago, CMac716 said:

So, I'm on a relisten of TLM, made it to Shai's first convo with Merasi. There's a point in this conversation where Shai explicitly states that Harmony, holding two Shards, is the most invest being in the Cosmere. This from the Ghostbloods, who were present on Roshar during the books.

They would know for certain if another Shard was combined there. At the most, we will have two 1.5xShards. Cult + Honor and Odium + Honor.

Well, this means nothing. Honor is Splintered, but someone like Dalinar could take pieces of Honor and pieces of Odium (without killing its Vessel) and form a new Shard, weaker than Harmony, but comparable or stronger than a single Shard. But personally I think this is too early for a dual Shard on Roshar - that would happen in the second 5 books, now it is more likely for somebody to unite and Ascend to Honor alone. 

Spoiler

CephandriusTW

Stormfather once said that "Three of sixteen ruled but now the Broken One reigns" and that "Odium reigns", is not crazy to think that Odium is the Broken One. My question is, could be possible to fuse Odium's shard (without Rayse) with the remanents of Honor (his Cognitive Shadow) in order to create a new whole Shard? Could Dalinar do something like that? He would be uniting them (two Shards, one of them supposed to be the Broken One and the other that we actually now is a bit broken).

Brandon Sanderson

[That] is possible

General Reddit 2020 (June 18, 2020)

On 9/11/2023 at 3:24 PM, alder24 said:

Well, this means nothing. Honor is Splintered, but someone like Dalinar could take pieces of Honor and pieces of Odium (without killing its Vessel) and form a new Shard, weaker than Harmony, but comparable or stronger than a single Shard. But personally I think this is too early for a dual Shard on Roshar - that would happen in the second 5 books, now it is more likely for somebody to unite and Ascend to Honor alone. 

I wouldn't say it's nothing. Closing down an avenue of theories means more time can be spent one ones that still have plausibility. I have seen several involving Honor being absorbed into either Cult or Odium and making a new Dual Shard. I've even seen some triple Shard theories. This simply sets the maximum power level of the remaining Shards of Roshar to be less than Harmony

Personally, I think you're right about the front 5 needing to reforge Honor in some capacity. The planet needs its Tones. Shai also seems to talk about Odium in the past tense when telling Merasi about how the Shard liked destroying the others as it's strategy. Might hint towards it's Intent and name shifting from having whatever was left of Honor mixed in. 

5 minutes ago, CMac716 said:

Shai also seems to talk about Odium in the past tense when telling Merasi about how the Shard liked destroying the others as it's strategy. Might hint towards it's Intent and name shifting from having whatever was left of Honor mixed in. 

Or changing of Odium's Vessel, from Rayse who did that, to Taravangian, whose goals are "save them all" so basically unknown yet. But my personal theory is that Taravangian's actions in SA5 will accidentally destroy Kharbranth, wounding Odium and forcing him to withdraw. Whatever it is I'm sure we won't get dual Shard at the end of SA 5 - that's too early.