How do you feel about the Books scheduled Flashbacks?

maxal

I don't know if there has been a Word of Brandon on this but are all the characters who are getting a book and the characters who potentially could have gotten their own book considered potential Knight Radiants?

We don't know. It is the general assumption that it is the case. However, Taln and Shalash being Heralds, the rule may not work in all cases. All others have been more or less confirmed as Radiants.

I'm disappointed that Navani's not on the list, not so much because of her character but because I'd honestly be more interested in learning more about fabrial engineering and the more technological aspects of Roshar's magic systems than in having an entire book devoted to each order of surgebinding. I also ... well, I'm in the minority here for sure, but I'm not super excited about a flashback book for Dalinar, either. Sure, the stuff about his wife and the Nightwatcher is all mysterious, but as far as character development goes, I think that's been covered very well in the books already. Of course, I wasn't all that excited about a book for Shallan either, but now after WoR I care more about her than Kaladin, so. I trust Brandon's ability to make me care about what I'm reading :D I also wasn't at all excited about a book for Szeth, but then that surprise crossover happened and now I'm really excited. 

I'm disappointed that Navani's not on the list, not so much because of her character but because I'd honestly be more interested in learning more about fabrial engineering and the more technological aspects of Roshar's magic systems than in having an entire book devoted to each order of surgebinding. I also ... well, I'm in the minority here for sure, but I'm not super excited about a flashback book for Dalinar, either. Sure, the stuff about his wife and the Nightwatcher is all mysterious, but as far as character development goes, I think that's been covered very well in the books already. Of course, I wasn't all that excited about a book for Shallan either, but now after WoR I care more about her than Kaladin, so. I trust Brandon's ability to make me care about what I'm reading :D I also wasn't at all excited about a book for Szeth, but then that surprise crossover happened and now I'm really excited. 

I disagree with you about Dalinar as I am really anxious to read his book, but I agree with you about Navani. I would really like to read a book from her perspective as I find her to be an interesting, yet under-developed character. I think Navani is our fifth more important viewpoint character so far, so I am bummed she is not getting a flashback either :angry:

I disagree with you about Dalinar as I am really anxious to read his book, but I agree with you about Navani. I would really like to read a book from her perspective as I find her to be an interesting, yet under-developed character. I think Navani is our fifth more important viewpoint character so far, so I am bummed she is not getting a flashback either :angry:

As it has panned out the Kholin family already have three members getting flashback books.  Dalinar and Jasnah in particular are probably going to overlap with Navani quite a bit.  Renarin too but I would guess not to the same degree.  This is probably a big reason why Navani got bumped out of getting a book.

As it has panned out the Kholin family already have three members getting flashback books.  Dalinar and Jasnah in particular are probably going to overlap with Navani quite a bit.  Renarin too but I would guess not to the same degree.  This is probably a big reason why Navani got bumped out of getting a book.

Actually, I believe Brandon commented on it. He originally planned on making a Navani book, but he changed his mind as he found Dalinar's book would cover most of it. I would still have like a book dedicated to Navani, not as much as I wish we'd have a book on Adolin, but she still is my number 2 in terms of my wish list (I am not counting Dalinar as he already is scheduled) :(

Actually, I believe Brandon commented on it. He originally planned on making a Navani book, but he changed his mind as he found Dalinar's book would cover most of it. I would still have like a book dedicated to Navani, not as much as I wish we'd have a book on Adolin, but she still is my number 2 in terms of my wish list (I am not counting Dalinar as he already is scheduled) :(

Well if Dalinar's book will cover most of Navani's background as well it is all good.   I don't see much need for a Navani book just for the sake of having one.  It is the information that is really important.  If Mr. Sanderson feels that there is anything particularly important about Navani that isn't in Dalinar's book I'm sure he can slip it into the story in other ways.  Jasnah and/or Renarin's books as well as Navani point of views.

Well if Dalinar's book will cover most of Navani's background as well it is all good.   I don't see much need for a Navani book just for the sake of having one.  It is the information that is really important.  If Mr. Sanderson feels that there is anything particularly important about Navani that isn't in Dalinar's book I'm sure he can slip it into the story in other ways.  Jasnah and/or Renarin's books as well as Navani point of views.

True, but I like reading her point-of-vue. I would have love to read her perspective on her marriage to Galivar.... Dalinar's flashback is amazing and all, but his view on his brother are somewhat biased. As for Renarin, he was a small child at the time, so I doubt his perspective on the matter would be interesting to read.

However, I do hope Brandon will insert this story within the main one, from Navani's perspective as I'd like to read it.

what if "Taln" is the Dustbringer? I mean, he has been abanded by the other Heralds for so long.

Well the fact he managed to withstand physical torture for 4500 years speaks very highly of Stonewards.......... I think we would have a hard time finding someone as "dependable" as Taln in that regard... I also fail to see how being abandoned would turn him into a Dustbringers? Dustbringers may have amongst the most terrible powers, they are brave and obedient. Brave in the sense they do not fear danger, they never hesitate to jump into the action and they will take a hit to secure an advantage, but obedient to temper down their natural impulsivity or this is how I imagine them. Stonewards, I imagine as incredibly reliable and trustworthy: you can always count on them and give them an impossible task, they will manage to prevail by being resourceful.

I think that, by surviving the horrors of damnation for 4500 years, Taln has shown he truly is dependable and resourceful.

I liked the list!

Since the beginning i was waiting for Szeth's book! Eshonai is the only one that at first i didnt like, but now im more fond of her 

I would just trade Shalash for Taravangian, i guess....He is the most interreting character in the series in my opinion

And two heralds seens redundant to me. Specially Shalash since shes a Lighweaver same as Shallam, 

Where did BS say its Shalash?....i remember him saying some time ago that it would be two heralds (Taln + another), but didnt say exacly which one. 

I liked the list!

Since the beginning i was waiting for Szeth's book! Eshonai is the only one that at first i didnt like, but now im more fond of her 

I would just trade Shalash for Taravangian, i guess....He is the most interreting character in the series in my opinion

And two heralds seens redundant to me. Specially Shalash since shes a Lighweaver same as Shallam, 

Where did BS say its Shalash?....i remember him saying some time ago that it would be two heralds (Taln + another), but didnt say exacly which one. 

He mentioned Shalash's name lately at a signing. It was no way a done deal, but it was the first time he gave 10 names. I for one, do not like this idea of having Shalash as a flashback, especially since it does not fit the one book, one order, one relevant flashback planning we have had so far. In fact, it works for 9 outta 10 books, except for the Shalash one.

I am also bothered by this as it may mean we are going to get a disproportionate amount of screen time on Lightweavers and very little on Dustbringers. I also wonder what this plan foreshadows and why would Brandon break his pattern with this single book. It is also strange it falls on the Dustbringer books as it is the only order for which we do not have a confirmed proto-radiant (or almost confirmed, we are quite in the dark for those).

He mentioned Shalash's name lately at a signing. It was no way a done deal, but it was the first time he gave 10 names. I for one, do not like this idea of having Shalash as a flashback, especially since it does not fit the one book, one order, one relevant flashback planning we have had so far. In fact, it works for 9 outta 10 books, except for the Shalash one.

I am also bothered by this as it may mean we are going to get a disproportionate amount of screen time on Lightweavers and very little on Dustbringers. I also wonder what this plan foreshadows and why would Brandon break his pattern with this single book. It is also strange it falls on the Dustbringer books as it is the only order for which we do not have a confirmed proto-radiant (or almost confirmed, we are quite in the dark for those).

In a WoB he says that heralds dont sirgebind without the honorblades. Maybe Shalash turns out a dustbribger later on, but i hate that idea.

I sincerely doubt that Shalash is gona have a book after all. The 10 orders than books seens a pretty solid plan to be broken by a single book in 10

In a WoB he says that heralds dont sirgebind without the honorblades. Maybe Shalash turns out a dustbribger later on, but i hate that idea.

I sincerely doubt that Shalash is gona have a book after all. The 10 orders than books seens a pretty solid plan to be broken by a single book in 10

Shalash becoming a Dustbringer does not sound like an interesting plot device, not from my current perspective. I guess it is a possibility, but it is only one we are foreseeing because the proposed flashback sequences does not currently give us a Dustbringer.

Well, Brandon mentioned her, so she is very likely to get one. If not her, than there is Taravangian he did mentioned once or twice. He dropped all plans to make one on Navani. He always mentioned the possibility of using a second Herald for flashback, but until now many people assumed it would be Chach, to get a Dustbringer.

So everything points towards Dustbringers getting a different treatment. I guess there is a reason for it, but it is not obvious.

With Adolin, we already have a dustbringer.

And with the inordinate amount of focus on the Kholins, I wouldn't want an Adolin book

Actually, no we don't. He is not confirmed as proto-radiant. He is a possibility, but he also is a long-shot. Many things need to happen for him to become KR and it is not obvious Brandon is gunning this way with him.

I would, but I would scrap the Renarin book or make them share one.

Edited by maxal

I imagine because Renarin can see into the future, having his book sooner may substantially change the way certain other books and story arcs need to be written.  Also, having his book last, with that whole future-seeing bit, could easily create a nice and neat closed-loop of foreshadowing for that book which would also work very well within the overall framework of the back 5 and the front 5--while also setting up for future Cosmere novels.

Or maybe he just wants a Kholin to end each arc, and Dalinar already has that spot in the front 5.

I thinkquite the opposite....I would think Renarin could be book 6. Then he could foresee some predictions and events that fantasy writters are so fond, to let us readers pondering into hehe

And ah, i forgot to comment before

In the WoB, when asked if each book (hardcover) will have a different color, he said yes, each representing each KR order:

Q:  Are the rest of the books in the Stormlight Archive going to be different colors?
A:  They are, and you can actually match the color to the order of the Knights Radiant.  That's the Windrunners[WoK], that's the symbol of the Windrunners[in the cover], that's the color[of the cover, blue]. That's the Lightweavers[WoR], and that's the symbol of the Lightweavers, which is the same, and the color[red].

So, I think that kind of a cofirmation that we are going to have a Dustbringer book as well

Edit: Adding two more thoughts:

- I think the secret Jasnah's and Renarin's flashbacks will become interresting will lay in the gap of time between the 1st and 2nd Arc. Same for Lift (she had a tough childhood but i dont know if theres much to reveal).

- Also, we dont have a clue whos the Willshaper also right? (Eshonai could be that or Dustbringer)

Edited by Marmota

- Also, we dont have a clue whos the Willshaper also right? (Eshonai could be that or Dustbringer)

We do not have a 100% confirmation, but everything points towards Eshonai being our Willshaper. She is described as The Explorer on the back of WoR, which is pretty much another word for Willshaper if you ask me :) She also has a comet-like spren Brandon has confirmed was related to one of the order. Her love of exploration and her strange behavior per Parshendi criteria strongly points towards Willshaper.

She somehow just does not fit with the Dustbringers.

Another thing thing that i think scapes the pattern.

With the exception of the 2 Heralds, all others are new KR, learning their habilities

Based in the fact that our Taln might not the the actual Taln, and in this WoB:

Q:  Do you know the order of 6-10?
A:  I know whose they are but I haven't decided the order.  Lift is one, Taln is one.  The person who calls himself Taln

Maybe Taln ends p not being the actual Taln, but turns out to be a new Stonewarden anyway. Kinda of messy xD

Maybe Taln ends p not being the actual Taln, but turns out to be a new Stonewarden anyway. Kinda of messy xD

Taln, the Herald, is not a Stonewarden.  He's a Herald.  So far as we know, there is no Nahel bond, and all Surgebinding powers are a result of the Honorblade.  So on the surface, including any true Herald at all would break the pattern that seems apparent.  

Speaking of patterns, though, the breaking of what seems apparent may be incredibly deliberate on Sanderson's part.  Think about what we know of Alethi culture and naming conventions.  Names that are palindromes are seen as holy (the same backwards and forwards), with the more perfect symmetry bringing escalating layers of holiness--and perfect symmetry seen as almost blasphemous or sacrilegious.  So, they value small imperfections in the symmetry of a name.  They also consider our letter 'h' as a wild card, capable of mimicking any other letter for the symmetrical purposes.  

10 is a number very important to Honor, and is the number of books in the Stormlight Archive, the number of Heralds, the number of Surges, the number of Radiant Orders, etc. etc.  So, having a perfect pattern involving all of this might be seen as being blasphemous or sacrilegious to some people on Roshar.  

We know that the blurbs on the back are considered a part of the canon, written by an in-world person.  These back-flap texts suggest that the same person is telling the story to us.  They may have these same feelings that I have described, and so they have let in a very deliberate break in the pattern to symbolize their mortality and lack of divinity.

In short, maybe Sanderson is trolling us from behind the cover and protection of the fourth wall.

This would be my list.

3. Szeth

4. Jasnah

5. Taravangian

6. Navani

7. Lift

8. [insert Random Character]

9. [insert Random Character]

10. Renarin

I don't particularly care for having a book focused on Dalinar, because I don't really see how his character could grow much more. 

Edited by wordspren

I don't particularly care for having a book focused on Dalinar, because I don't really see how his character could grow much more. 

I am highly interested in reading Dalinar's days as the Blackthorn. It is not so much about character growth, but about who he once was. I am just dying to know.