Koloss-Blooded question

Tamriel Wolfsbaine

14 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

That makes me wonder what would happen to a KB who gets 5th heightening agelessness...  would they keep growing or just hit some sort of spiritual ideal and stay there?  

Yeah, I've wondered that too. Same with full-blooded Koloss.

Personally, I think that it's possible that self-perception would come into play; a Koloss or KB who thought that viewed themselves as being a certain size that also had the 5th Heightening would stay that way, while one who saw themselves as continuing to grow would keep doing so until they died.

Or, since the growth isn't strictly tied to aging it wouldn't matter if they were the 5th Heightening, they'd just keep growing until they died of giantism. 

Also makes me wonder what would happen if a Koloss or KB tapped Feruchemical youth. Would that work better than 5th Heighting for them? I guess it would depend on whether their growth is more like that of muscle growth and therefore it is independent of age or not.

1 hour ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Wasn't Kaladin said to be taller than others?  I know Rock is like a head taller than Kaladin even but I thought Kaladin was taller for an Alethi? 

He is taller than most Alethi, but I don;t think he is significantly taller than most (unlike Rock)

1 hour ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

That makes me wonder what would happen to a KB who gets 5th heightening agelessness...  would they keep growing or just hit some sort of spiritual ideal and stay there?  

1 hour ago, Trusk'our said:

Yeah, I've wondered that too. Same with full-blooded Koloss.

Pretty sure KB don't keep growing unless they take the spikes to become full Koloss:

Spoiler

Questioner 1

Alloy of Law. We've got koloss-born guys. What's their origin?

Brandon Sanderson

So... Currently in Mistborn-- And I delve into this a lot more in the later books, but, you know, it's not a big spoiler so I can tell you. Um... Koloss have become... They can breed, but when some-- when a child is born to them it is born as a koloss-blood. It is not born the full thing, right? Grows up normally, and at maturity, at their right of passing, they can choose to ma-- take the step, gain-- get the spikes, and turn into actual, true koloss. Or if they don't, they have to leave the tribe and go... You know.

Questioner 1

But they're more, like, human size? Like, human looking?

Brandon Sanderson

They're human size, human-- I mean, they've got some residual effects. They're a little bit tougher. But yeah. General, they can be human. And so what you're seeing in Tarson is some-- one of those who actually came and-- He's the son of a full koloss-blood and a human Allomancer, which makes an Allomancer koloss-blood.

Questioner 1

Okay. So that's what I thought. A little human interbreeding. *unintelligible* weird.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, um, and a human could, if they wanted to, go convince the koloss to accept them, join the tribe, and get spiked. So yeah...

Questioner 2

It makes their skin saggy, and they start growing...?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. It makes their skin saggy, and start growing, and start ripping, and all that sort of stuff.

The WoB doesn't say it directly, but it implies they are human sized unless they take the spikes to become full Koloss. . .

11 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Pretty sure KB don't keep growing unless they take the spikes to become full Koloss:

The WoB doesn't say it directly, but it implies they are human sized unless they take the spikes to become full Koloss. . .

I thought that Wax mentioned in AoL chapter 19 when he saw Tarson that KB would continue to grow throughout their lives.

So they continue to grow, but probably slower than full Koloss.

Edited by Trusk'our

25 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

I thought that Wax mentioned in AoL chapter 19 when he saw Tarson that KB would continue to grow throughout their lives.

So they continue to grow, but probably slower than full Koloss.

I'd forgotten that Wax mentioned that in AoL - though I wonder why the WoB seems to conflict. . . (unless Wax is wrong)

AoL Ch 19:

Spoiler

The man holding Marasi was the one named Tarson, the koloss-blooded Pewterarm.

Her face illuminated by wavering torchlight, Marasi looked terrified. Waxillium’s fingers felt slick on the revolver’s grip. The Pewterarm was careful to keep Marasi between himself and Waxillium’s side of the tunnel, gun to the back of her head. He was squat and tough, but not very tall. He was only in his twenties—like all koloss-blooded, he’d continue growing taller throughout his life.

Either way, at the moment, Waxillium couldn’t get a bead on him.