Anti-Investiture Spikes

Trusk'our

We've seen from Navani in RoW that a person can change the Tone of a piece of Investiture to become an anti-Investiture. But what if this were done with a Hemalurgic spike?

Since the spike tries to stapple its contents onto the Spiritweb of its bearer, I think you could turn the spike into a cheaper, more flexible soul-destroying weapon that a Raysium blade. It's way, way, way easier to get ahold of the necessary components to craft an anti-Investiture Hemalurgic spike, and the actual shape doesn't matter- you could make anything from a sword to a spear to a bullet with not Gemstone to worry about during the weapon's construction.

Though it was not directly tested, both Odium's anti-Tone and Tone were not mentioned to have any effect upon the Raysium in the dagger. We also only see anti-Investiture creation with pure gaseous Investiture, and it took a not insignificant volume to affect said Investiture, which would lead me to think that affecting liquid and solid Investiture would take far more sound. Affecting Investiture in an Invested piece of metal seems even harder, if it is even possible at all, and since the Investiture that you find in a Hemalurgic spike is ripped directly from the soul, which may in fact be entirely unkeyed from any Shard, it starts to seem more and more impractical. 

So, if it is possible to use Tones to affect other forms of Investiture, and if it is possible to affect the Investiture in Invested objects in the same way, and if it is reasonably practical to do so, and if it is possible to do this to the Investiture found in a Hemalurgic spike, and if the process itself wouldn't involve the Hemalurgic spike ever being uninvested (despite it probably not being possible to have a piece of metal be Invested and anti-Invested at the same time, implying there would have to be some moment where it is neither), and if the process wouldn't otherwise make the spike no longer function Hemalurgically (in other words, not just be an anti-invested piece of metal), and if all of this is practical to do, then it could be possible. 

Personally I think that this is unlikely to be doable, and less likely to be a practical way of sending anti-Investiture into someone's Spiritweb. 

58 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

Since the spike tries to stapple its contents onto the Spiritweb of its bearer, I think you could turn the spike into a cheaper, more flexible soul-destroying weapon that a Raysium blade

I agree it would be cheaper

59 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

But what if this were done with a Hemalurgic spike?

How can you? Navani did it using a vacuum so when the Light could hear Odium's to it instead heard its opposite. If you could inverse the Investiture before putting it into the spike that could be possible, but an already Invested spike would be hard to change with my knowledge.

Don't forget you may have to apply it into a bind point to transfer the Investiture, not completely sure if you do however.

1 hour ago, Trusk'our said:

We've seen from Navani in RoW that a person can change the Tone of a piece of Investiture to become an anti-Investiture. But what if this were done with a Hemalurgic spike?

Since the spike tries to stapple its contents onto the Spiritweb of its bearer, I think you could turn the spike into a cheaper, more flexible soul-destroying weapon that a Raysium blade. It's way, way, way easier to get ahold of the necessary components to craft an anti-Investiture Hemalurgic spike, and the actual shape doesn't matter- you could make anything from a sword to a spear to a bullet with not Gemstone to worry about during the weapon's construction.

I think that would be way harder than you think it is. A Scadrian soul is composed of both Ruin and Preservation's investiture, not merged together, but separate. A spike would steal both of them. How would you turn them to corresponding anti-tones? What about native Rosharan, which are likely composed of all 16 Shardic investiture? How would you turn them into anti-tone? Wouldn't a piece of the soul resist it, as it is very different from pure investiture in gaseous form? Wouldn't spike itself prevent it? I think it would be way harder to do if even possible.

7 hours ago, Xiahida said:

How can you? Navani did it using a vacuum so when the Light could hear Odium's to it instead heard its opposite. If you could inverse the Investiture before putting it into the spike that could be possible, but an already Invested spike would be hard to change with my knowledge.

I don't know, though if necessary, you could use the tuning fork method of drawing out the contents of the spike, then change it to anti-Invetiture, and then put it back. Maybe.

Or perhaps that isn't necessary, and you can find a way to just take the whole spike and separate it in a vacuum and then subsequently swap it to anti-Invetiture.

7 hours ago, Xiahida said:

Don't forget you may have to apply it into a bind point to transfer the Investiture, not completely sure if you do however.

That's certainly a possibility, though I doubt you'd need to place it in any specific bind point since you don't need it to grant a functioning power, you just need it to touch the soul of the person it pierces so as to make the two substances annihilate each other.

6 hours ago, alder24 said:

I think that would be way harder than you think it is.

Pretty much everything is, as most like to point out :D

A Scadrian soul is composed of both Ruin and Preservation's investiture, not merged together, but separate. A spike would steal both of them. How would you turn them to corresponding anti-tones? What about native Rosharan, which are likely composed of all 16 Shardic investiture?

Well, I think that it may be that you only need to learn Ruin's Tone, as it seems that the Investiture inside most (with the exception of Godmetals and possibly duralumin) spikes only Connects you to that Shard, so the Tones involved very likely only involve Ruin.

How would you turn them into anti-tone?

I imagine using a method similar to how Navani changed Voidlight into anti-Voidlight, though that is only a guess. The process very likely could turn out to be far more complicated, as we've only seen such a thing happen once on a very small scale.

Wouldn't a piece of the soul resist it, as it is very different from pure investiture in gaseous form? Wouldn't spike itself prevent it? I think it would be way harder to do if even possible.

That is a very possible outcome- the Investiture in a spike has an Identity, so probably would resist change more than a Blanked form of Investiture. If you could get Identity-less spikes that might solve the issue, though again, this is only a guess.