Can you drink time?

The Stormfather

So... Hear me out. In TLM, Wayne makes the bubble at the end and it forms crystals when he used a Ton of Bendalloy. When you normally burn it the barrier is gaseous. If you used a lot, but not that much, could you theoretically make the barrier liquid?

then... could you... drink it?

I know that this is dumb. I know. I realize it makes no sense but then again, does it?

1 hour ago, The stormfather said:

So... Hear me out. In TLM, Wayne makes the bubble at the end and it forms crystals when he used a Ton of Bendalloy. When you normally burn it the barrier is gaseous. If you used a lot, but not that much, could you theoretically make the barrier liquid?

then... could you... drink it?

I know that this is dumb. I know. I realize it makes no sense but then again, does it?

Here's the section of TLM Ch 71:

Spoiler

Further, further, as a whole damn stomach full of bendalloy was burned in an instant.

God himself froze. Standing motionless. The bubble crystallized into a visible sphere. Lights that had been blinking halted, half-on. Something funny even happened to his eyesight, everything going all strange until he took another vial of Harmony’s metals and burned steel to see that way instead.

Go.

It is unlikely that time is what crystallized here. We already know that large amounts of investiture cause condensation (SA note 1), and even larger outputs crystallize that condensation into frost (SA note 2). What you are likely seeing here is that the amount of investiture poured into the speed bubble was so great that it formed crystalline ice, not just frost or rime, on the surface of the speed bubble. 

SA Spoilers:

Spoiler

Note 1: Condensation of Shardblades that have recently transitioned to the Physical Realm. The transition is cold - normal thermodynamics takes care of the rest in the same way that a cold drink will develope condensation. 

Note 2: Seen a number of times, but more notably when kaladin says the third Ideal - the outpouring of investiture causes the Windrunner glyph to condense humidity directly into frost/rime (wiktionary-rime: transformation directly into ice crystals without first turning into liquid water)

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

but do you agree of the fact that it could be liquid at a point?

I could maybe see a possibility of causing condensation due to the density of investiture, but I don't think it would be bubble-shaped - and it would still just be water (plus any airborne impurites absorbed by the condensation). More likely, however, is that with a lack of physical object(s) there would be no condensation - and the frost/crystals are the result of deposition (desublimation) by investiture-derived temperature shift.

3 minutes ago, The stormfather said:

That makes sense. This theory was a bit of a stretch anyway.

It would be Probably quite invested water.

Why? (SA Spoilers)

Spoiler

Condensation formed on a shardblade recently summoned is plain water, not particularly invested. All that is happening is basic thermodynamics - relative humidity reacting to a temperature change the same way is does with a cold beverage.

At least we have had no indications otherwise - assuming we do not get a WoB that explains the crystals on the speed bubble in some other way. After all, my conclusions are just deduction based on available evidence. Future data may change the conclusions.

My thought process was quite simple. I thought: "If you make a speed bubble with a lot of bendalloy, the bubble's barrier would be stronger right? Wayne made such a big barrier that it formed solid crystals. So if you used a lot of bendalloy, you'd make a bubble where the warping air, which I see as a invisible gas, condensates and forms liquid.

Do we have Any WoBs at all on bendalloy or cadmium?

Thirty-five WoBs reference Bendalloy. I have not filtered them, the link is to the whole search.

Sixty-nine WoBs are in the #Time-Bubble category. I have not filtered those either, the link it to the whole category. I would expect significant overlap between those two sets. For example, filtering #Time_Bubble by the Bendalloy keyword yields 15 results.

In case you have not yet played with the Coppermind and Arcanum much, here is a primer:

Spoiler

Using Coppermind and Arcanum:

• Go to the Coppermind, you can search a term in the upper right. On the top-right of the page (below the search bar) you will see a circle icon that denotes how "complete" the information is (e.g. solid green means it has all known information, split white/blck means unanswered questions, etc.)
    • Like any wiki, links to other pages appear the first time they are referenced
    • While reading you will find notes ([1]) that take you to the references at the bottom of the page. From there, if the reference is a WoB the link will redirect you to the Arcanum post.
  • On the Arcanum, you can read all of the WoBs from a specific event by clicking: Discover > Events, then select an event.
  • When looking at a WoB in the arcanum, you can:
    • Click on the event name to read all WoBs from that event
    • Click on a tag at teh bottom to make a search of all entries with that tag
  • Also, on the Arcanum, you can search for keywords using the search bar in the upper left
    • While searching a tag, the advanced search will be at the top of the page, so you can keyword search within a specific tag (example)
  • In any keyword or tag search you can order by newest, oldest, or accuracy with accuracy being the default.

Hope that helps

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

You could get a crapton of "Time Bubble" tuned Investiture, but I dont think it could go Liquid and still retain those features, instead it would go straight to Solid.  In Liquid form it's at its most versatile and "pure", but it settles into one specific effect when it goes solid.  If we're talking about hyper-condensing a specifically tuned Investiture, I think we'd be talking about creating an artificial Godmetal.  

4 hours ago, The stormfather said:

My thought process was quite simple. I thought: "If you make a speed bubble with a lot of bendalloy, the bubble's barrier would be stronger right? Wayne made such a big barrier that it formed solid crystals. So if you used a lot of bendalloy, you'd make a bubble where the warping air, which I see as a invisible gas, condensates and forms liquid.

I feel you are misunderstanding the barrier. It isn't a gas, it is simply a distortion, wind and light get somewhat distorted as it passes through, and you also see everything move at a different rate when it passes through, thus it creates a visible boundary between the inside and outside. Rather than it being anything physical in the way you are thinking. Just a line of demarcation between the distorted and non-distorted areas, not a physical presence. 

The special factor in the crystal formations wasn't just "oh it turned solid", it was the fact it was actually taking on matter and physicality. It also likely has some relation with how the distortion is extreme enough that light starts to act strangely. 

But yeah. This. 

• 1 month later...