The Davar Soulcaster

CMac716

We know for a fact that the Davar Soulcaster was real. We also know that Soulcasters are Spren, like Shardblades. Furthermore, Deadspren blades cause Radiants to hear screaming when touched. 

Why then, does Jasnah not hear screaming after Shallan swaps them out? Is being broken enough? Are they un-bonded Radiant Spren, thus not deadeyes, but somehow still stuck in that form? Are we missing too many pieces to figure this out?

12 minutes ago, CMac716 said:

Why then, does Jasnah not hear screaming after Shallan swaps them out? Is being broken enough? Are they un-bonded Radiant Spren, thus not deadeyes, but somehow still stuck in that form? Are we missing too many pieces to figure this out?

Yes, Soulcaster's spren likely weren't bound to Radiant when Recreance happened. Those spren chose to manifest physically as fabrials because people asked them to. RoW ch 46:

Raboniel hummed a rhythm. “I am a quick learner.” She gestured to the notes on Navani’s desk. “In the past, my kind found it difficult to persuade spren to manifest themselves in the Physical Realm as devices. It seems Voidspren are not as naturally … self-sacrificing as those of Honor or Cultivation.”

21 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Plate also doesnt cause the screaming. 

Shardplates are made out of dead spren (they were bonded to their Radiant), but those are content so they don't scream. RoW I-1:

She rolled off the counter and zipped over to examine Cord’s Shardplate stacked neatly in the corner. The young Horneater woman was never without it. She was the first of her people in … well, a very, very long time to have a Shard. It was pretty.
Maybe Syl should have hated it, as she did Shardblades, but she didn’t. It was kind of a corpse—well, lots of corpses—but not as offensive. The difference, she supposed, was attitude. She could sense contentment, not pain, from the Plate

Interesting. I suppose that makes sense. I figured with them being Radiant Spren there had to be something. 

SP 3

Spoiler

That makes them sound more like the devices Yumi convinces spirits to become than a Shardblade.

Thanks for answering so many of my questions

25 minutes ago, CMac716 said:

Interesting. I suppose that makes sense. I figured with them being Radiant Spren there had to be something. 

SP 3

Hide contents

That makes them sound more like the devices Yumi convinces spirits to become than a Shardblade.

Thanks for answering so many of my questions

Correct - that correlation is closer to Soulcasters; as well as the Regrowth fabrials seen when Nale heals Szeth and in the visions when the unnamed Radiant heals Dalinar after he fought the mignight essence in WoK (Ch 19 - Starfalls) and another unnamed radiant uses a regrowth fabrial to heal wounded in the OB vision (Ch 38 - Broken People) when Dalinar takes Navani and Jasnah with him. 

There are likely to be 9 or 10 such fabrials - one for each surge (9 if the "transportation" version is the Oathgates)