Strange thing I noticed

Firesong

So, you know how Veden names include birth order? 

Well, the order is Nan, Tet, Asha, and Van. Nan is to Nan (2), Tet is to Talat (9), Asha is to Shash (6); and Van is unclear. Maybe Vev (4)? Normally, you would expect it to be lingusitically divergent versions of Jes, Nan, Chach, and Vev. I guess Asha can be a version of Chach, but Tet is definitely from Talat, and Nan is definitely from Nan. So those ones can't be reasoned around without some deeper explanation to the decision. 

So, this isn't the proper numerical order as per Vorin tradition, which leaves me wondering, what happened to make it get mixed out like this? Maybe the Veden Vorins have different numerical associations? I haven't seen this mentioned or brought up before anywhere, and I am very curious as to what happened to make it not line up like this.

Wish I could ask Brandon or his team this, but that isn't exactly easy.  

16 minutes ago, Firesong said:

So, you know how Veden names include birth order? 

Well, the order is Nan, Tet, Asha, and Van. Nan is to Nan (2), Tet is to Talat (9), Asha is to Shash (6); and Van is unclear. Maybe Vev (4)? Normally, you would expect it to be lingusitically divergent versions of Jes, Nan, Chach, and Vev. I guess Asha can be a version of Chach, but Tet is definitely from Talat, and Nan is definitely from Nan. So those ones can't be reasoned around without some deeper explanation to the decision. 

So, this isn't the proper numerical order as per Vorin tradition, which leaves me wondering, what happened to make it get mixed out like this? Maybe the Veden Vorins have different numerical associations? I haven't seen this mentioned or brought up before anywhere, and I am very curious as to what happened to make it not line up like this.

Wish I could ask Brandon or his team this, but that isn't exactly easy.  

That's weird. Differences in names can be at least explained by Veden being a different language, but this doesn't explain why they aren't in numerical order. I find it very doubtful that they would mix Essences/numbers to jump from 2 to 9 as 1 and 2, that's too much. If numbers were simply shifted in a way that would make Nan first and Chach second, that could be explained that their "patron" is Nalan and it's the most important Heard for their nation or something, but it's all over the place. 

2 hours ago, alder24 said:

That's weird. Differences in names can be at least explained by Veden being a different language, but this doesn't explain why they aren't in numerical order. I find it very doubtful that they would mix Essences/numbers to jump from 2 to 9 as 1 and 2, that's too much. If numbers were simply shifted in a way that would make Nan first and Chach second, that could be explained that their "patron" is Nalan and it's the most important Heard for their nation or something, but it's all over the place. 

I wonder what Herald goes to each Silver Kingdom

Alethela is Jezrien, due to all the connections with Windrunners and the fact they revere him as the Stormfather (or Taln, who is the Herald of Soldiers, and Alethela is the Kingdom of War, )

Valhav is Vedel, I feel Veden and Vedel are very close. 

Natanatan, the Natan, might be Talenel? (I mean, his shortened numerical name is Tanat, it is very close) It is also a very rocky place.  But it might be Kalak, as the people in New Natanatan equate him with the Stormfather, like the Alethi do to Jezrien. It could also be Nalan, whose name is also close, and he is about law, and New Natanatan is thought of as lawless, which would be an inversion. 

Shin Kak Nish is probably Ishar, the names are rather closer, and Ishar is the only Shin-looking Herald, iirc. But it has Kak, which is the numerical name of Kalak, so maybe Kalak? "Kelek’s own truth" marks him as notable for honesty, and the Shin love their honesty and hate the Truthless. 

Makabakam is rough, they do all (except Tashikk and Tukar, ofc) revere Jezrien above the other Heralds, Prime Kadasix, and the one who gave Emuli Sessemelex Dar, etc. So if he doesn't go to Alethela. But could be Taln, as he looks Azish, "Kalak will teach you to cast bronze, if you have forgotten this." can be connected to the Bronze Palace

Sela Tales might be Palah? As Panatham? But not too convinced about that. 

But what about Iri,  Aimia, Thalath, and Reshi? 

Hmmm... any comments on all of this?

(unrelated, but I do appreciate all the implications of different calendars in SA, the Unkalaki have a different one, the Makabaki are implied to with the Eighty's War not being in the Eighties in the Vorin calendar, I really respect it. Nice touch of realism)

Also, I wonder what Eiliz, Tarma, and Sur are. We know they were Kingdoms, but what is weird, is they existed during the Silver Kingdoms era. Maybe each Silver Kingdom was more like a collection of Kingdoms under one greater king?

Edited by Firesong