Mistborn Adventure Game is out! (Possible Spoilers)

Eric

Or you could just "chain" bubbles together. That is, overlap them on the edges at the same strength to achieve total area coverage.

That had occurred to me after I posted, but we still have a pretty harsh width/depth limit: we can't afford for one splinter of this ship to be in real time. You could chain the bubbles throughout the ship to cover everything, but then we need even more bubbles positioned in odd places to provide perfect coverage.

In any case, the areas of overlap would also cause weirdness, as well as the small, but significant differences in compression factors between the various bubbles.

P.S. As to hijacking an innocent thread: I realized what was happening as I continued to edit my first "design" post, but this topic isn't exactly the most focused in the first place. I was wary of stealing from other peoples revelations about how time bubbles function, so wanted to keep my post in context. Looking back, I probably still should have bitten the bullet and created a new thread to discuss this. Oh well.

Edited by Kurkistan

Related to chaining bubbles, AoL made it clear that if a Slider and a Pulser create their bubbles simultaneously, the two cancel each other out. An expensive way to achieve nothing at all, as they said.

So what happens when two Pulsers or two Sliders do it? Is it an expensive way to achieve the effect of one Misting OR do the effects "stack?"

Related to chaining bubbles, AoL made it clear that if a Slider and a Pulser create their bubbles simultaneously, the two cancel each other out. An expensive way to achieve nothing at all, as they said.

So what happens when two Pulsers or two Sliders do it? Is it an expensive way to achieve the effect of one Misting OR do the effects "stack?"

According to the RPG, the time differential is the sum of all overlapping bubbles, with bendalloy and cadmium acting as positive and negative (or vice versa).

It's covered on page 362 of the PDF, and I'm not sure if we're allowed to post large segments of text, what with copyright and all. I'll just paraphrase an example they give.

Ex. Cadmium bubble expands 1 minute inside to 10 minutes outside. It intersects with a bendalloy bubble compressing 20 minutes outside to 1 minute inside. Area of overlap has (20-10) = 10 minutes pass outside for each minute inside.

Edited by Kurkistan

yeah, as stated above (the statements about overlapping in the RPG are what made me think of using it like i mentioned above), they simply act as positive/negative numbers and are simply added together. So a bubble of +5 time and a bubble of -5 time will cancel out to zero, but two bubbles of +5 Time overlap just fine.

I have bought the book, and am certainly not disappointed (I can't wait for the physical copy to arrive). Now I can resume mad theorizing!

My first idea is for the Aluminum Trick. This might not be the only way of doing things, but it seems almost certain to be a way to do it.

If you are a Keeper (or just use Hemalurgy to gain the right two Feruchemical abilities), you should be able to store Investure, then move it into your Aluminumminds as any Identity you can imagine. This could let you steal from the Metalminds of anyone you understand well enough to make a convincing fake Identity, and make for a terrifyingly convincing actor or con artist, especially if they used the same trick to get someone else's Connection to other people.

-- The Ben Freeman

• 2 weeks later...

CraftyGames People, I think you made a slight mistake w/ the properties of Feruchemical copper. It says that when you store a memory in a coppermind, it can only return while tapping and can never be altered in any way. The first of these points implies that the memory goes away again when you release copper. What I thought was that tapped memories were treated exactly like regular memories, (i.e. they decayed normally and remained when you released copper) but that Keepers usually stored their memories again as soon as they were done with them to slow decay.

Sazed mentions in the early WoA that copper memories grow fuzzy if you tap them too often, as the brief instances of decay add up.

Also, I thought that if you learned something new relevant to a particular memory, you could simply add that to what you stored.

Please work out whether I'm misunderstanding you, you misstated, or I'm just wrong on how copper works.

My apologies if this is rudely phrased, and thank you for a wonderful game!

It seems to me that those are different ways of wording the same things, though admittedly the game doesn't bother to model the "if you keep on tapping the same memories again and again for years, it gets blurrier" part, for the same reason it doesn't model Hemalurgic spikes winding up with a charge that grants no measurable power.

It seems to me that those are different ways of wording the same things, though admittedly the game doesn't bother to model the "if you keep on tapping the same memories again and again for years, it gets blurrier" part, for the same reason it doesn't model Hemalurgic spikes winding up with a charge that grants no measurable power.

Yeah-there's always a need to simplify/adjust things to be applicable in a role playing game. A lot of the Allomantic/Feruchemical traits have effects that may not convey perfectly to role playing or provide ridiculous advantages.

For example, the books show pretty much every Pewter burner having borderline superhuman strength and resistance to injury, whereas in the RPG it provides a noticeable bump but not one that makes you capable of unbelievable feats of strength/toughenss depending on your abilities with pewter and/or normal physique.

And that's fine-you don't want everyone to be a Thug because it's so much better than the other metals.

Similarly, in the books, Atium makes you more or less invincible. So much so that significant effort has gone into trying to figure out theoretical ways to kill an Atium burner. In the RPG it gives you a very significant advantage but not a "kill everyone without being hurt" advantage.

For the more abstract characteristics like copper, there's going to be some loss of translation as you attempt to convert it to RPG terms.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, they prevent that on page 102:

Your character’s choice of race is limited by the Powers he has:

A character with no Powers may be a noble, skaa, or Terris.

A character with Allomantic Powers must be either a noble or a skaa.

A character with Feruchemical Powers must be Terris.

A character with the Mimicry Power must be a kandra.

This is actually a chart specifically for chargen. Otherwise it would prevent Terris from gaining Allomancy via spikes, and Allomancers from gaining Feruchemy via spikes, both of which we already know work.

I would like to point out, overlapped cadmium bendalloy bubbles in game create seriously cool special effects.

I've DM'd for the rpg twice now, and I really like it. Plus this one is more fun to play as the DM than a player. My mistborn may lose most of the time, but they do fun stuff.

On a completely different note, the game mistakenly states that burning Duralumin depletes your reserves of Duralumin itself, as well as everything else. This is explicitly countermanded in the Assembly battle of WoA.

I noticed that as well. In fact, it said that for all the "enhancement" metals even though I can't really see either chromium or nicrosil being useful if they burn away instantly. I can see them burning really fast, but not going poof like Aluminum.

I noticed that as well. In fact, it said that for all the "enhancement" metals even though I can't really see either chromium or nicrosil being useful if they burn away instantly. I can see them burning really fast, but not going poof like Aluminum.

I suspect that this is a game-power-balance issue.

Like Feruchemy storing being a discrete process with hour long quanta, instead of a continuous process able to be turned on and off whenever? That makes sense.

Yeah, partially. If someone's storing all of his strength and speed it would be annoying if they suffered absolutely no downside because they could turn it off immediately in a fight.

Pewter is weaker and faster-burning than in the books (many characters are burning pewter continuously). Whereas in the books everyone who uses it gets borderline superhuman physical abilities (so much so that pewter burners are immediately recognizable as such), the benefits in the RPG are somewhat muted. Atium doesn't make you invincible. All understandable adjustments.

I chuckled a bit when I read the limitations on storing in metalminds during the break. That's exactly how I would have abused the system during my RPG days. "OK, we're in town. I'm going to be a moronic, sickly, and slow vegetable for the next two weeks. See ya"

Pewter is weaker and faster-burning than in the books (many characters are burning pewter continuously).

That was actually something that had to get a tweak between first digital release and the current build. (Yes, I'm also helping catch the bugs, woo. You'll notice the same account name here and on the crafty forums.)

Does anyone know when the hardcover RPG version is coming out? I haven't bought one myself but I want to know more about the Feruchemical Table of metals. I'm curious about the its structure and I desperately want to see the Triangular Feruchemy symbols! Does anyone know if Brandon will sell copies on his site, or if he has to wait because of some contract thing with the Crafty Games people?

Does anyone know when the hardcover RPG version is coming out? I haven't bought one myself but I want to know more about the Feruchemical Table of metals. I'm curious about the its structure and I desperately want to see the Triangular Feruchemy symbols! Does anyone know if Brandon will sell copies on his site, or if he has to wait because of some contract thing with the Crafty Games people?

The hardcover won't be out until all the forumites and Crafty folk fix the first round of typos and corrections. I have the PDF with an order in for the hardcover, but it's looking like a few weeks to a couple months?

• 2 weeks later...

Nikomis speaks true. We're getting pretty close now to sending the master files to the printer - at which point anyone who's purchased the Digital Edition will receive an updated version of the electronic files, of course. We'll try to cross-post critical announcements over here but there are a lot of places to people to update when we take a big step with any project and the very best places for the latest information are our official outlets...

Crafty Games: Need to Know (RSS feed)

Crafty Games Facebook Page

Crafty Games Twitter Page

Thanks!

Just how much is the difference in metabolic burn of metals? Pewter is said to be the quiest to burn (aside from atium) and copper/tin the slowest but I wouldn't mind a ball park (if that's within posting rules).

Like if you swallow enough pewter to burn straight for 5 minutes and the same amount of steel, how long can you burn that?

• Chaos locked this topic