Hiod/Wit/Dust

Iron-Eyes

Welcome to the Forums. Here's some tips and tricks that may help in case you don;t already know them:

Spoiler

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit and Options tools. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title.
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

4 hours ago, Aion said:

How did Hoid get onto Tress's planet?

Unknown. We don't have any information that there is a perpendicularity on Lumar (though, it seems likely that Xisis may have used one if he's been there a while, unless Dragons can Elsecall and don' need one to transition between Cognitive and Physical). Most likely he arrived in a method to similar to the Sorceress' departure.

My personal opinon is that Riina chose Lumar because it does not have a perpendicularity - thus natually limiting the "interference" of other Worldhoppers and cementing her control of her "realm" on Lumar.

6 hours ago, Aion said:

How did Hiod get onto Tress's planet?

Could be many things, I feel it is supposed to be a mystery to a degree. 

He could have used a power similar to Elsecalling to forcefully create a mini-Perpendicularity. or could have travelled on a spaceship.  Those are essentially the only things we know about at this moment that could allow going to the Physical Realm of a planet that lacks a Perpendicularity. 

Maybe he found out how to return on his own with the Surge of Transformation, which allows one to go into the Cognitive Realm, but not return on his own. Hoid is smart and has a lot of different Invested Arts, so he probably could find some way they work together to let him return. 

But ultimately, we just have theories. 

• 1 month later...

With how many places Hoid goes to, I wonder if he knows how to Elsecall. However, the Horneaters specifically have a special name for him (can't recall it right now) so he definitely uses Cultivation's Perpendicularity, too. Maybe that's just easier for him on Roshar?

4 hours ago, miscc said:

With how many places Hoid goes to, I wonder if he knows how to Elsecall. However, the Horneaters specifically have a special name for him (can't recall it right now) so he definitely uses Cultivation's Perpendicularity, too. Maybe that's just easier for him on Roshar?

He also uses the Perpendicularity on Scadrial, and likely the one on Nalthis as T'Telir is relatively close to it. 

I do believe he would be able to get his hands on an Elsecalling Fabrial in late cosmere. But one thing I feel contradicts such an idea. 

Yumi Spoilers:

Spoiler

At the end of Yumi, he and Design had to find a spaceship in order to leave the planet. At least at that point in time, they either did not have the ability to go into the CR, or something was special about the Subastral of Komashi that made it undesirable to traverse. I feel this is more likely as Lightweavers can travel into the CR, but he didn't do that. 

Edited by Firesong

• 4 months later...
On 7/10/2023 at 6:05 AM, Treamayne said:

Welcome to the Forums. Here's some tips and tricks that may help in case you don;t already know them:

Reveal hidden contents

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit and Options tools. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title.
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

Unknown. We don't have any information that there is a perpendicularity on Lumar (though, it seems likely that Xisis may have used one if he's been there a while, unless Dragons can Elsecall and don' need one to transition between Cognitive and Physical). Most likely he arrived in a method to similar to the Sorceress' departure.

My personal opinon is that Riina chose Lumar because it does not have a perpendicularity - thus natually limiting the "interference" of other Worldhoppers and cementing her control of her "realm" on Lumar.

Isn't there a perpendicularity on the sorcerer's island? Wasn't that the hole point of her setting up shoe there to control off world trade?

44 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Isn't there a perpendicularity on the sorcerer's island? Wasn't that the hole point of her setting up shoe there to control off world trade?

Not sure where you found that. The Sorceress' tower was the ship she arrived (and departed) in. She wasn't doing any trading at all, she went to Lumar specifically because she thought nothing and nobody there could threaten her, and she robbed the nations of the world to live (hence the prolonged wars against her). Tress:

Spoiler

Ch 64:

I met the Sorceress’s eyes, and knew what she was thinking. She, like most of her kind, was very good at something we call risk/reward projections. She’d come to this planet because nothing here could threaten her. Then she’d found a dragon living here. Then I’d arrived.

She might have been able to beat me. Curse me again. But she might not have been able to. Even if the odds were only one in five that she’d lose, you didn’t live long by frequently taking one-in-five chances that you’ll die. And Riina had lived a very, very long time.

A short time later, we all stood on the deck of the Crow’s Song, looking up at a twinkling speck of light as it vanished in the sky. The tower was gone, taking the Sorceress with it.

Ch 5:

Even on an out-of-the-way island like hers, they knew of the Sorceress. She periodically sent ships in to raid the borders of the Verdant Sea, and it was incredibly difficult to fight her. Her stronghold lay hidden somewhere in the remote Midnight Sea, most dangerous of them all. 

<snip>

They all gave similar answers. Yes, Charlie had been sent to the Midnight Sea. The duke and the king had decided it together, so it must have been a good idea. After all, someone had to try to stop the Sorceress from raiding. 

<snip>

In the eyes of the nobles, this was an elegant result. The duke got an heir he could finally be proud of. The king got an advantageous marriage alliance in Dirk’s bride from another kingdom. And everyone got to blame another death on the Sorceress, building public opinion toward another war.

Also, all mentions of worldhoppers say "they came from the stars" Tress:

Spoiler

Ch 15:

It’s wonderful, Fort said. I got it from a wizard a few years ago.

“A wizard?” Tress said.

From beyond the stars, Fort said. A very strange fellow. He used it to translate words to our language. 

Ch 22:

“There’s someone on this ship,” Tress said, choosing her words carefully, “who knows the way to the Sorceress? Who has been there before, and escaped alive?”

“Technically, yes,” Ulaam said. “But I haven’t the faintest idea how Hoid did it—I found him like this after I arrived on the planet in response to his letter.”

“On the...planet?” she asked. “Like, you’re from the stars?” She’d heard stories of visitors from the stars, but had thought them fancies. Even if there did seem to be more and more of them these days, talked of among sailors.

“Hmm?” Ulaam said. “Oh, yes. Not from a star really, but a planet that orbits one. Regardless, I doubt you’ll be able to get anything useful out of Hoid with that curse in place.”

So, while we cannot say there is no perpendicularity, we can say that there is no mention of one in the story or in any WoBs about the story. 

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG/Clarity