Hemalurgy stealing Feruchemical abilities *Spoilers*

TheChronicFeruchemist

I'm not totally sold (a better word might exist), but I have no objection to synthesize. It sounds good, at least.

EDIT: I guess my problem with compression is that it isn't intuitive to a reader about what is actually happening. The right word should evoke a sense that you're grabbing more power, and compress doesn't work well enough.

EDIT 2: (You guys post fast) Aggregate at least evokes that right sense, but definitely sounds worse. Accumulate has a certain ring to it. It evokes that you're grabbing more power, and is actually fairly descriptive in that you are accumulating more Feruchemical energy than normally possible.

EDIT 3: That said, I'm not totally sold on "accumulate," but it feels more right, at least.

Edited by Ookla the Inalterable

I agree, the hunt must go on!

Accumulate sounds a bit passive, though. Compression, compounding, and synthesis are all very active processes that it's somewhat natural to assume some loss/entropy from. Accumulation has always struck me as slower, and is defined as "to gather or collect, often in gradual degrees."

Moved my edit from my previous post because of Ninja activity:

Seeing the other suggestions:

I think that augmenting/magnifying/intensifying might come a bit too close to the meaning of compounding: "Bloodmakers heal faster when the (augment/magnify/intensify) there Health." Perhaps "draw upon intensified health," but that's more of a mouthful necessary to achieve clarity.

"Compress" does get the point across: "Spinners waste more Fortune the more they compress it" makes sense. I tend to preference academic-y things, but that might just do.

Edited by Kurkistan

I just thought of something else: often compress is used with respect to bendalloy and cadmium. That could get confusing there.

EDIT: I do agree, Kurkistan, that accumulate sounds pretty dang inactive.

Edited by Ookla the Inalterable

Condensing?

Well, that should have been blindingly obvious to us all. :blink:

Nice catch.

It runs into some of the same problems of association as "compressing," but it rolls off the tongue a bit better.

Condensing does have the implication of losing something, such as "condensed milk."

That same implication implies concentration as well, but that concentration is more from removal of impurities than just greater amounts. That which is implied to be discarded from condensation is also strongly implied to be unnecessary, as is not the case with the energy lost in proportionally large Feruchemy.

Overall, it has some flaw, but is a common word (that starts with "C," conveniently) and easily carries the message of greater Feruchemical power, although it doesn't imply energy-lost quite as well.

Edited by Kurkistan

I like concentrating, but it could get confused with the other concentrate - thinking hard.

Condensing is okay, although I don't like it as much as concentrate or compress. It feels too passive to me.

I don't like synthesize. Synthesize implies that you're creating something new, which you're not.

EDIT: I was looking at synonyms for compress, and I found a good one: "Densify". It's definition doesn't match what we're looking for here, but I think it's too cool/funny to overlook.

Edited by Ookla the Insatiable

I think concentrate could be very easily confused, concentrating feruchemicaly could easily sound like you are concentrating on feruchemy. Which is silly but I could see how it could be confusing. Though in the context we are using concentrate it is very close to condense, at least in my thoughts. Of course my brain is a little funny so =P

The most mundane way of saying it I could think of was "Stretching" since that's what is happening the feruchemical power itself, not the feruchemist's stores. stretching his feruchemy? It's not quite what I'd like it to be. It needs to be a good component for "flaring" metals in allomancy, a sense of pushing your magic a bit further than it's supposed to go.

I like concentrating, but it could get confused with the other concentrate - thinking hard.

Condensing is okay, although I don't like it as much as concentrate or compress. It feels too passive to me.I don't like synthesize. Synthesize implies that you're creating something new, which you're not.

EDIT: I was looking at synonyms for compress, and I found a good one: "Densify". It's definition doesn't match what we're looking for here, but I think it's too cool/funny to overlook.

Condensing doesn't strike me as passive, "he condensed the soda can into a disk," "Wax condensed 3 days Weight into one second, weighing for that instant as much as an entire day's Weight combined."

I'm sorry you feel that way about synthesize. *sniffle* I agree that it has connotations of creating something new, but they aren't overwhelming connotations, and even if they are then it could actually work in our favor by suggesting the unique effects and costs of "synthesizing" Feruchemical attributes.

I think concentrate could be very easily confused, concentrating feruchemicaly could easily sound like you are concentrating on feruchemy. Which is silly but I could see how it could be confusing. Though in the context we are using concentrate it is very close to condense, at least in my thoughts. Of course my brain is a little funny so =P

I agree that concentrate has to go due to the confusion it could easily engender.

The most mundane way of saying it I could think of was "Stretching" since that's what is happening the feruchemical power itself, not the feruchemist's stores. stretching his feruchemy? It's not quite what I'd like it to be. It needs to be a good component for "flaring" metals in allomancy, a sense of pushing your magic a bit further than it's supposed to go.

Some mundanity might be welcome, and I do like the connection to Flaring, but the first thing I think of when "stretching" a power is that power being attenuated, like "stretching your fuel supplies out" or "Wayne healed himself slowly to stretch out his reserves." Not exactly what we're going for, sadly.

Edited by Kurkistan

New Question for Brandon (read as "New task for Peter"):

What the crem do we call the feruchemical equivalent of flaring since we can't call it compounding?

This is going to keep me up at night. T.T

I do like this tack of working on a direct parallel to "flaring," though. Seething?

I feel like it would be the opposite of stretching. If you stretch your resources, you make them last for a long time.

Antonyms of stretch (courtesy of Dictionary.com): compress, concentrate.

We're back where we started.

Condensing doesn't strike me as passive, "he condensed the soda can into a disk," "Wax condensed 3 days Weight into one second, weighing for that instant as much as an entire day's Weight combined."

Hmm... I think of condensing as in, "The water distiller condensed the water vapor." You're right though, in your context it isn't passive.
I'm sorry you feel that way about synthesize. *sniffle* I agree that it has connotations of creating something new, but they aren't overwhelming connotations, and even if they are then it could actually work in our favor by suggesting the unique effects and costs of "synthesizing" Feruchemical attributes.

to form (a material or abstract entity) by combining parts or elements
These aren't connotations. This is what the word actually means.

I do like this tack of working on a direct parallel to "flaring," though. Seething?

"Flaring" derives from the mainstay Allomantic verb, "burning". A flare has the connotation of a brief, powerful fire.

Since the Feruchemical verb is "tapping", that means we're looking a word which has the connotation of a brief, powerful tap.

"Sazed punched speed..."

"Sazed punched speed..."

I hurt myself laughing at that one. Thanks.

Synonyms for tap (the correct definition): bleed, bore, broach, draft, drain, draw, draw forth, draw off, draw out, drill, empty, lance, milk, mine, open, penetrate, perforate, pump, riddle, siphon, spear, spike, stab, unplug, unstopper, use, utilize

I actually think bleed might work, it has connotations that work with the diminishing returns that are suffered while doing it.

Edited by Ookla the Abstracted

"Flaring" derives from the mainstay Allomantic verb, "burning". A flare has the connotation of a brief, powerful fire.

Since the Feruchemical verb is "tapping", that means we're looking a word which has the connotation of a brief, powerful tap.

"Sazed punched speed..."

This is absolutely on the right track. What we need is _________ : Tap :: Flare : Burn, to use SAT terminology.

But that's not the meaning of "tap" Feruchemy uses - that should be "tap" as you might tap a tree, or a keg.

Words I recommend: Drain, Flow, Flood, Bleed, Draft, Mine, Siphon, Deplete.

Of these, several seem unclear, overly negative, or just odd to me, but others might feel differently.

The one I think is by far most appropriate is Flood, as in "the anvil was about to drop. Wax Flooded his weight as he Pushed up at it, sending the massive chunk of metal careening off course to collide with Wile E. Coyote." It's simple, it clearly means "a lot" of something, it fits with "fill" and "tap" being terms that evoke liquids, and it has a nice symmetry with Allomancers "Flaring."

-- Deus Ex Biotica

EDIT: This thread is hopping - an Ookla beat me to most of those, and more. I stand by "Flood" as my favorite, though. Bleed is good, but when one type of Ferring is called a "Bloodmaker," could get confusing.

Edited by Deus Ex Biotica

Hmm... I think of condensing as in, "The water distiller condensed the water vapor." You're right though, in your context it isn't passive.

These aren't connotations. This is what the word actually means.

I guess it does depend on context for condense.

You might just have me on the whole connotation vs denotation divide for synthesis. In my defense, you can have a synthesis of multiple identical elements, which in this case is lesser than the sum of its parts. That's the understanding that I was going for.

"Sazed punched speed..."

Legitimate LOL at that one.

This is absolutely on the right track. What we need is _________ : Tap :: Flare : Burn, to use SAT terminology.

But that's not the meaning of "tap" Feruchemy uses - that should be "tap" as you might tap a tree, or a keg.

Words I recommend: Drain, Flow, Flood, Bleed, Draft, Mine, Siphon, Deplete.

Of these, several seem unclear, overly negative, or just odd to me, but others might feel differently.

The one I think is by far most appropriate is Flood, as in "the anvil was about to drop. Wax Flooded his weight as he Pushed up at it, sending the massive chunk of metal careening off course to collide with Wile E. Coyote." It's simple, it clearly means "a lot" of something, it fits with "fill" and "tap" being terms that evoke liquids, and it has a nice symmetry with Allomancers "Flaring."

-- Deus Ex Biotica

EDIT: This thread is hopping - an Ookla beat me to most of those, and more. I stand by "Flood" as my favorite, though. Bleed is good, but when one type of Ferring is called a "Bloodmaker," could get confusing.

Flood. I like it. Also implies that it's somewhat uncontrolled, perhaps wasteful/destructive.

EDIT: Hot off the thesaurus from "siphon:" Funnel.

Edited by Kurkistan

[/Face+Palm] Of course I would have forgotten about bloodmakers. I find myself agreeing with you about flooding. It matches up with a lot of terms there already.

I'm throwing my support behind flood. My only issue is that it implies to me that you use all or most of your reserves (of that attribute). Usually you will, but it is possible, for example, to "flood" half your stored weight. Seeing as this is (at least for now) a term that would mostly be used by us fan-people discussing the series, it's probably not an issue, but it is a slight point in favor of "funnel", or something similar (although I like funnel).

I'm throwing my support behind flood. My only issue is that it implies to me that you use all or most of your reserves (of that attribute). Usually you will, but it is possible, for example, to "flood" half your stored weight. Seeing as this is (at least for now) a term that would mostly be used by us fan-people discussing the series, it's probably not an issue, but it is a slight point in favor of "funnel", or something similar (although I like funnel).

To be fair, you can flood, say, a room, without draining all of the sea.

Though I guess it might be in poor taste for me to argue my case towards someone who is supporting the idea already...

To be fair, you can flood, say, a room, without draining all of the sea.

Though I guess it might be in poor taste for me to argue my case towards someone who is supporting the idea already...

I have to say that, on reflection, "flood" might be too strong. When you read "Wax flooded Weight," you don't get a very good sense of control or an upper limit. If I may say so, "funnel" does imply that control: putting a known, but large volume into a small space. Funnel also lacks the entropy-implication of flood, though.

Edited by Ookla the Conformist

I have to say that, on reflection, "flood" might be too strong. When you read "Wax flooded Weight," you don't get a very good sense of control or an upper limit. If I may say so, "funnel" does imply that control: putting a known, but large volume into a small space. Funnel also lacks the entropy-implication of flood, though.

To me it feels more active than tapping does, and therefore it connotes to me that it would require more energy to funnel than to tap. The energy lost isn't due to entropy, after all, but due to the effort required to funnel the energy.

Personally I think flood rolls off the tongue better, but funnel is a bit more accurate. Poll?

Ditto.

Edited by Ookla the Insatiable

Personally I think flood rolls off the tongue better, but funnel is a bit more accurate. Poll?

I think we should wait a couple of days and see if anyone has any other really good ideas that should be considered before we have a poll.

Although, really, my hope here is that we spend a week or so talk about this, finally find something that we can all agree on... and, the very next day, someone asks Brandon Sanderson, who provides a new word entirely. :D

I think we should wait a couple of days and see if anyone has any other really good ideas that should be considered before we have a poll.

Although, really, my hope here is that we spend a week or so talk about this, finally find something that we can all agree on... and, the very next day, someone asks Brandon Sanderson, who provides a new word entirely. :D

Also, we should probably set put the poll in a thread that isn't about the multiplication of Ferchemical ability using Hemalurgy. We've kind of gotten off topic here...