Would you like to make a cuppa today?

Kasimir

This sort of came up in the dead doc (and the darkeyes doc) in the current ongoing Sanderson Elimination Quick Fix game a bit, as King and I discovered that we shared similar objectives that seemed far more important than killing off the other factions. Such as tea. In any case, I was curious: Any other tea-drinkers, enthusiastic or otherwise on this forum? What kinds of tea do you like to drink? How do you take your tea?

And most of all and most pertinent: how many mugsworth of tea is sufficient? ;)

I used to be a coffee drinker, but I needed to cut down on caffeine so I started drinking tea.

I drink all sorts. For daily breakfast, either Four Red Fruits or Earl Gray. If I had a party the night before, I make a pot of Jasmine or Peppermint.

Tea joints in the Philippines are very common, and we have a choice of Japanese, Korean, or Taiwanese milk and bubble tea refreshments. You'll see them every 100 meters here. I also have lots of Indian friends and their tea is really good, so they bring me some whenever they come and visit.

I like my tea hot, with honey or brown sugar. No milk.

And how much is enough? I say just keep 'em coming when I'm working.

Quitecontrary, on 15 Jun 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

I used to be a coffee drinker, but I needed to cut down on caffeine so I started drinking tea.

I drink all sorts. For daily breakfast, either Four Red Fruits or Earl Gray. If I had a party the night before, I make a pot of Jasmine or Peppermint.

Tea joints in the Philippines are very common, and we have a choice of Japanese, Korean, or Taiwanese milk and bubble tea refreshments. You'll see them every 100 meters here. I also have lots of Indian friends and their tea is really good, so they bring me some whenever they come and visit.

I like my tea hot, with honey or brown sugar. No milk.

And how much is enough? I say just keep 'em coming when I'm working.

By Four Red Fruits or Earl Grey, are you by any chance referring to Twinings?

Quitecontrary, on 20 Jun 2014 - 06:38 AM, said:

Twinings for the Four Red Fruits. For Earl Gray, either Twinings or Coffee Bean &Tea Leaf.

Most excellent! I've always wanted to try the former, and I've tried the latter and enjoyed it ;) Nowadays though, I get a packet of lavender from the Chinese medical hall and homebrew Earl Grey with it.

I drink coffee more often. If I have tea, it's Twinnings Earl Grey w/ a tiny splash of milk and a bit of sugar and lemon. Or I drink Lady Grey plain. At night, I like peppermint or chamomile plain. There are some excellent varieties out there, I just don't think to buy them. Maybe when it gets cooler I'll buy some Harney and Sons organic passion plum.

Tea is one of my major passions!  B) I tend to lean towards green or white tea typically. Lately I've been drinking a brand called Touch Organic; their Jasmine Green tea and Oolong have been my lifeblood the past few months! As for black tea, I love Irish Breakfast tea with lots of cream and sugar. I wish we had more tea houses in America that weren't geared towards cranky, rich old ladies. 

Has anyone tried matcha before? It looks so crazy good! 

Has anyone tried matcha before? It looks so crazy good!

We get matcha in most tea places here. Tea houses here are patronised more by the 20-30's crowd and not old ladies. :-)

You should ask to have your matcha made as a smoothie with plenty of milk and cream. It's great.

I don't drink tea in the same way that you lot do. I love iced green tea with honey ( I can drink a gallon in one sitting) Or my family's recipe for Homemade Sweet tea which is Four cups of sugar per gallon of black tea I was born in North Carolina and my dad is from West Virginia, we are southerners so we like it super sweet. I know, Americans and our crazy blasphemous-ness, I also brew a mean green tea with all-natural honey (hot) for wife when she's hurting.  

We get matcha in most tea places here. Tea houses here are patronised more by the 20-30's crowd and not old ladies. :-)

You should ask to have your matcha made as a smoothie with plenty of milk and cream. It's great.

Oh, that sounds absolutely wonderful! Where are you from?

There's a green tea latte I get at Starbucks sometimes that sounds like matcha with a ton of milk and cream! When I finally get around to getting some matcha I'll definitely try it  ^_^

Funny you mention this, as my current frustration is trying to brew a decent matcha! I just can't get the froth to work properly, so I've resorted to cheating by frothing milk and throwing that in instead. The smoothie idea--I'll have to give that a shot! ;)

I'm sure I'll eventually learn to do it properly, but until then!

Edited by Kasimir

As you already know Khas, I tend to just drink English Breakfast tea, with a small amount of milk and no sugar. I do sometimes have red bush tea, since it's a good fallback when there's no milk in the house. I'm not sure about mint tea, but I think I like it. Haven't had enough to say either way, really. Usually I'll bring a bottle of iced tea when I go to the Games Society at university (I'm partial to Liptons lemon-flavoured), but not all the time as it's somewhat expensive when not on offer.

In a normal day, I'll drink several cups of tea (or at least the equivalent of that even if they're not in that many mugs due to the sheer size of mug I prefer) - When they said that you should drink eight cups of water throughout the day, I decided that I should have some ground up leaves in that water and have it warm. :P

And, of course, three mugsworth is the only decent size to a cup of tea ;)

Wyrmhero, on 22 Jun 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

As you already know Khas, I tend to just drink English Breakfast tea, with a small amount of milk and no sugar. I do sometimes have red bush tea, since it's a good fallback when there's no milk in the house. I'm not sure about mint tea, but I think I like it. Haven't had enough to say either way, really. Usually I'll bring a bottle of iced tea when I go to the Games Society at university (I'm partial to Liptons lemon-flavoured), but not all the time as it's somewhat expensive when not on offer.

In a normal day, I'll drink several cups of tea (or at least the equivalent of that even if they're not in that many mugs due to the sheer size of mug I prefer) - When they said that you should drink eight cups of water throughout the day, I decided that I should have some ground up leaves in that water and have it warm. :P

And, of course, three mugsworth is the only decent size to a cup of tea ;)

I'm almost tempted to suggest that that cup should become the standard we refer to as a mugsworth. So a mugsworth then becomes pegged to around three cups of tea ;)

Oh, that sounds absolutely wonderful! Where are you from?

There's a green tea latte I get at Starbucks sometimes that sounds like matcha with a ton of milk and cream! When I finally get around to getting some matcha I'll definitely try it  ^_^

I'm from Manila, Philippines, Hailey. I noticed that you don't have a pin yet on the 17th Sharder Map, so feel free to post your location in this thread.

I don't drink tea in the same way that you lot do. I love iced green tea with honey ( I can drink a gallon in one sitting) Or my family's recipe for Homemade Sweet tea which is Four cups of sugar per gallon of black tea I was born in North Carolina and my dad is from West Virginia, we are southerners so we like it super sweet. I know, Americans and our crazy blasphemous-ness, I also brew a mean green tea with all-natural honey (hot) for wife when she's hurting.  

Awww, BT, you're so sweet on your wife! 

Funny you mention this, as my current frustration is trying to brew a decent matcha! I just can't get the froth to work properly, so I've resorted to cheating by frothing milk and throwing that in instead. The smoothie idea--I'll have to give that a shot! ;)

I have never tried brewing it. Because there are too many tea places here, it's an easy thing to just order it at the nearest branch. It's just two to three dollars here to get a nice big cup.

I have never tried brewing it. Because there are too many tea places here, it's an easy thing to just order it at the nearest branch. It's just two to three dollars here to get a nice big cup.

Unfortunately, matcha is a bit more expensive here, despite the recent proliferation of cafes. And Starbucks is not good to anyone on a student budget. In my case, it's more a good friend on a student exchange to Japan (who also loves tea) brought me back some, and asked me to try brewing it up. Sadly, I have yet to be successful :P

Tea!  TEA!  Yay!  :D

While I do also drink coffee, I LOVE me a good cup of tea.  I will drink just about anything except I'm not a fan of oolong or white.  I also don't go in for super fruity types unless you're talking iced tea.  I'm totally in and from the states and grew up in Maryland, so even though I lived in the northern part, we had enough transplants from the southern part and states farther south that I love a good glass of sweet tea.  My grandmother makes a nice pitcher and so does her neighbor, who has quite an accent. :)

As to hot tea, my favorites tend to be the following (loose leaf preferred): green tea (my favorites are the kukicha and hojicha teas from adagio.com), Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast, this rooibos/mate blend I got once from Teavana and try to keep in my stock, and anything flavored vanilla.  But as I said, I'll try almost anything.  I do like a good mint tea of one fashion or another, but usually I reserve that for when I'm not feeling 100% normal, like with a cold or allergies or if my stomach is off.

Additives?  Honey for green tea, mint or herbal tea, sugar (of the sucanat variety) in anything else plus milk in any of the black teas mentioned above if it's available.

Mug size?  A fairly large mug, but not large enough to double as a soup bowl. ;)

Also, if anyone wants a great scone recipe, just ask. :D

I used to only drink tea, but now I drink coffee more often (caffeine addiction, what). I will keep the Twinnings variety pack in stock at home for when I feel like tea. My favorite tea is probably Earl Grey (loose leaf from Rishi is great) or pretty much any black tea with just a little milk. Not a huge fan of the herbals. I don’t mind green tea when the mood strikes. I do really enjoy the Moroccan gunpowder mint green tea with a little sugar. I think I got that last from Teavanna.

Oof, I feel you on that one. I have a little bamboo thing, have watched a bunch of youtube videos but just can’t get it right hot. I love matcha flavored things, and I’ve made a killer green tea pound cake with the leftover matcha I wasn’t brewing right (doesn't take a lot, really). I also do an iced matcha latte, frothing the milk and matcha with a wand, no elbow grease, but its too delicious to deny. :D

Oof, I feel you on that one. I have a little bamboo thing, have watched a bunch of youtube videos but just can’t get it right hot. I love matcha flavored things, and I’ve made a killer green tea pound cake with the leftover matcha I wasn’t brewing right (doesn't take a lot, really). I also do an iced matcha latte, frothing the milk and matcha with a wand, no elbow grease, but its too delicious to deny. :D

So it's not just me who has trouble with these things! :P What is this (magic) wand of which you speak? :D

So it's not just me who has trouble with these things! :P What is this (magic) wand of which you speak? :D

Oh yes, haha, the frothy milk and ice are great ways to cover up getting it wrong. Of course I also think, that maybe I am doing it right and just don't like it. But I'll never admit to that...

The magic wand is just a handheld battery powered frothing wand I bought for about $6. A similar one is here. It works pretty well on hot milk, I sometimes scramble my eggs with it, too.

Oh yes, haha, the frothy milk and ice are great ways to cover up getting it wrong. Of course I also think, that maybe I am doing it right and just don't like it. But I'll never admit to that...

The magic wand is just a handheld battery powered frothing wand I bought for about $6. A similar one is here. It works pretty well on hot milk, I sometimes scramble my eggs with it, too.

Thanks, I may eventually have to look into that possibility >>.

• Chaos locked this topic