Silver and Aluminum

Breeze

Ok, this is kind of a crazy theory of mine, without much evidence currently, but here we go. We all know that both aluminum and silver have strange effects. Aluminum is able to negate any form of investiture, and silver is able to do something similar. I believe that silvers actual abilities tie more to the crossing between the three realms. (On threnody where the cognitive shades are held back by silver, in tress where the spores are unable to draw power from the spiritual realm when near silver, etc.) So while aluminum blocks investature, silver functions as a barrier between realms. Aluminum has one other ability though, It can be burned by mistborns/mistings. And now we get the the point. Every shard has a god metal, so I wonder if adonalsium THEMSELVES had a god metal. We know that the metals can still be around after a vessels death, we see this in TLM when both ruin and preservations metals are once again created. So, I believe that silver is adonalsium's god metal. This is a lot of guesses and extrapolation, but think about it. If adonalsium truly is, like, GOD, then it makes sense that they would have created the three realms, and as the sole deity, they would have been spread over the entire cosmere, maybe spreading and diluting their god metal. Its abilities are not tied to all the other metals, including aluminum, as it cannot be burned and has no attachment to any other from of investature, only the fabric of the realms themselves. Now back to Aluminum. It is suggested throughout many books that Hoid was with the 16 when Adonalsium was killed, to the point where this is just a fact. If Hoid helped to kill Adonalsium, then gave up his share of the power, like I believe, then there is another god metal. I think hoid dispersed the actual "17th shard" over the cosmere, and the 17th god metal was similairly dispersed, which is ALUMINUM.

sorry if i was rambling, I am excited to see your guys' ideas

8 hours ago, Breeze said:

Ok, this is kind of a crazy theory of mine, without much evidence currently, but here we go. We all know that both aluminum and silver have strange effects. Aluminum is able to negate any form of investiture, and silver is able to do something similar. I believe that silvers actual abilities tie more to the crossing between the three realms. (On threnody where the cognitive shades are held back by silver, in tress where the spores are unable to draw power from the spiritual realm when near silver, etc.) So while aluminum blocks investature, silver functions as a barrier between realms. Aluminum has one other ability though, It can be burned by mistborns/mistings. And now we get the the point. Every shard has a god metal, so I wonder if adonalsium THEMSELVES had a god metal. We know that the metals can still be around after a vessels death, we see this in TLM when both ruin and preservations metals are once again created. So, I believe that silver is adonalsium's god metal. This is a lot of guesses and extrapolation, but think about it. If adonalsium truly is, like, GOD, then it makes sense that they would have created the three realms, and as the sole deity, they would have been spread over the entire cosmere, maybe spreading and diluting their god metal. Its abilities are not tied to all the other metals, including aluminum, as it cannot be burned and has no attachment to any other from of investature, only the fabric of the realms themselves. Now back to Aluminum. It is suggested throughout many books that Hoid was with the 16 when Adonalsium was killed, to the point where this is just a fact. If Hoid helped to kill Adonalsium, then gave up his share of the power, like I believe, then there is another god metal. I think hoid dispersed the actual "17th shard" over the cosmere, and the 17th god metal was similairly dispersed, which is ALUMINUM.

sorry if i was rambling, I am excited to see your guys' ideas

Interesting idea. My personal thought on Adonalsium's Godmetal is that it is Dradongsteel, as Dragons existed before the Shattering.

Personally, I think that silver and aluminum may just have weird Realmatic properties, but we don't know anything for certain yet ;)

Oh, and if you think that was rambling, you should see some of my posts :D

Edited by Trusk'our

14 hours ago, Breeze said:

If Hoid helped to kill Adonalsium, then gave up his share of the power, like I believe, then there is another god metal. I think hoid dispersed the actual "17th shard" over the cosmere, and the 17th god metal was similairly dispersed, which is ALUMINUM.

That's not the case. Hoid never was a Shard. He never Ascended like that. He was offered one Shard during the Shattering, but declined. And Adonalsium was shattered into 16 Shards, not 17. I'm quite sure there was a WoB asking if there was 17th, secret Shard and Brandon said no, but I can't find it.

Spoiler

Paladin Brewer

We know that Hoid was offered a Shard and turned it down. Was he offered a specific Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

He was. There is one of the Shards that he would've-- yeah.

Paladin Brewer

Would he have been the 17th person or did someone take his place?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Someone took his place.

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)

Spoiler

Wetlander

Please explain what you will about Shards and Splintering and Slivers.

Brandon Sanderson

An event happened long ago which destroyed something called Adonalsium into 16 pieces. And 16 people took up that power.

Questioner

People?

Brandon Sanderson

I call all intelligent species people. If someone takes up the power and lets go of it, it has the effect much like a balloon that's been stretched and then the air is let out. I call that a Sliver; based off of the Lord Ruler calling himself the "Sliver of Infinity". The Lord Ruler is someone who held the power and then released it. And so, current Slivers are the Lord Ruler, Kelsier, and there may be others around who at one point held the power and let go of it. A Splinter is a term used by certain people in the cosmere for power of Adonalsium which has no person caring for it, no... no person holding it, which has attained self-awareness.

Wetlander

So is that like the mists and the Well? Are they...

Brandon Sanderson

They are not, because they have not attained self-awareness. But, the Seons are self-aware. So, any piece, for instance there were some spren on Roshar before Honor and Cultivation got there. Those were already Splinters of Adonalsium where he had left power which attained sentience on its own. So, it can be intentional is what I am saying, does that make sense? You have seen other Splinters.

Wetlander

Are the highstorms related to the Splintering of Honor?

Brandon Sanderson

The highstorms are more related to the mist from Mistborn which terminology we have not discussed yet. You have seen Splinters quite a bit on various planets.

Steelheart Seattle signing (Oct. 14, 2013)

Spoiler

Overlord Jebus

Is all Investiture in the cosmere associated with a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, well, okay. So this is a complicated one. *pauses* So, Investiture predates the Shattering of Adonalsium, all Investiture was from Adonalsium, all Investiture got assigned to one of the 16 Shards when Adonalsium was Shattered. Some of the Investiture was not on Yolen but location is irrelevant. So Investiture is related to Shards even on planets where none of the Shards are inhabiting. 

Overlord Jebus

Are they aware of that Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

That's part of the whole seeing into the infinite, being beyond even the power of a Shard. So, technically you could make the argument that Harmony could feel the sense of Preservation on every world in the cosmere, right? Because the building blocks of all life and creation are these things.

Overlord Jebus

So the Shard of Preservation embodies all preservation in the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes but he just can't do that, right? Like, he's not infinite. The Vessels are not, even if their minds are enormously expanded by holding a Shard, they are not infinite. The Connection is all there in the Spiritual Realm

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)