Question About Human Migration to Scadrial

PiedPiper

Question for you all from a friend:

Certain excerpts (quoted below) indicate that Preservation sacrificed a part of his consciousness to give humans on Scadrial sentience. Given that sentient humans existed on Yolen and currently exist on other Comere planets, what do we think this means for the story of human arrival on Scadrial--did something go terribly wrong? Or is it possible I am misinterpreting? I don't think it can be a throwaway line, because the sacrifice is what allowed Ruin to overcome Preservation near the end of era 1. I am happy to provide more excerpts if they could be helpful.

This question comes from a friend who has read only era 1; if possible, try to refrain from era 2 spoilers--thanks so much!

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 8.43.35 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 8.43.08 AM.png

5 minutes ago, PiedPiper said:

Question for you all from a friend:

Certain excerpts (quoted below) indicate that Preservation sacrificed a part of his consciousness to give humans on Scadrial sentience. Given that sentient humans existed on Yolen and currently exist on other Comere planets, what do we think this means for the story of human arrival on Scadrial--did something go terribly wrong? Or is it possible I am misinterpreting? I don't think it can be a throwaway line, because the sacrifice is what allowed Ruin to overcome Preservation near the end of era 1. I am happy to provide more excerpts if they could be helpful.

This question comes from a friend who has read only era 1; if possible, try to refrain from era 2 spoilers--thanks so much!

There was no planet Scadrial before Ruin and Preservation arrived to the system. They both created it, and created a man in the image of the original man from Yolen. That's why Preservation gave a bit more from himself to every human, because they didn't come from outside, they were all fully created on Scadrial from Ruin and Preservation's powers. Other humans in Cosmere did indeed come from Yolen, as they migrated across the whole Cosmere before the Shattering took place.

10 minutes ago, alder24 said:

There was no planet Scadrial before Ruin and Preservation arrived to the system. They both created it, and created a man in the image of the original man from Yolen. That's why Preservation gave a bit more from himself to every human, because they didn't come from outside, they were all fully created on Scadrial from Ruin and Preservation's powers. Other humans in Cosmere did indeed come from Yolen, as they migrated across the whole Cosmere before the Shattering took place.

Thank you so much! I had no idea.