The Power Of Gnats

Deus Ex Biotica

The interview is full of Way of Kings spoilers. I'll see if I can quote out just the Mistborn part here in a sec....

Ok there's too much to quote, but if you search for "The following questions may contain spoilers for the Mistborn novels. You have been warned." and only read under that point, I'm pretty sure it avoids other series info.

Edited by Morsk

I've always wondered if an aluminum gnat burned their metal while touching a Hemalurgically charged spike or while they were pierced with a Hemalurgically charged spike. If Brandon's statement can be believed, the spike's Hemalurgically charge would be eliminated, and I'd love to know what happens to that investiture when the spike discharges.

Likewise, I've always wondered if an aluminum gnat could discharge a Feruchemist's metal minds by touching them while burning aluminum.

I've always wondered if an aluminum gnat burned their metal while touching a Hemalurgically charged spike or while they were pierced with a Hemalurgically charged spike. If Brandon's statement can be believed, the spike's Hemalurgically charge would be eliminated, and I'd love to know what happens to that investiture when the spike discharges.

Likewise, I've always wondered if an aluminum gnat could discharge a Feruchemist's metal minds by touching them while burning aluminum.

This probably wouldn't work though, since aluminum is an internal metal.  Or is it?

It's an interesting concept though.  Theoretically, would it work on a person who's been "spiked"?

Did vin have her earring in when the inquisitors forcefed her some aluminum?

Yes, she did. There's no mention of her putting it back in after she curbstomps the guards.

At least, I think not. Lemme get my copy of MIstborn.

Edit: Alright, I checked. There is no mention of her putting it back in once she gets her stuff back. Either the inquisitors weren't worried about it or Ruin made sure they forgot about it.

Edited by Observer

It's possible that you might have to become a Savant to be able to do something like that, and who's going to bother becoming an Aluminum savant? Also Vins earrings are invested while ordinary metals are not so that might also be affecting the results, rather than just because she didn't ingest them.

Hello there. Still new to the forums but I couldn't help but speculate. So far all we know of the metals is based off ars arcanum. This was written by a character who could obviously not know the extent of the powers. I wonder however if gnats are of restricted to metals. The grouping is the "enhancement" metals after all. Could not aluminum be the metal that cleanses the body of all impurities, not just metals or the speculated toxins. Aluminum might wipe clean viruses, body waste, and maybe even cancerous cells? Aluminum is an enhancement metal after all, I don't see how aluminum can enhance if it solely destroys metals. Maybe it enhances the body's power to rid itself of impurities. Duralumin the would not limit itself to metals but other functions of the body. Could duralumin enhance the bit of preservation in everyone? Emotional fortitude, mental abilities and natural physical abilities (though I think this one might just be related to pewter and tin). All we have seen of it outside of use with metals was a few moments when vin used it standing still. I think duralumin enhances the abilities of foreign substances personally. Such as medicine becoming stronger, drugs becoming more powerful, even maybe the effects of allowance on your emotions? Obviously duralumin allows you to choose which substance it enhances such as burning a metal in conjunction where as aluminum is against will power. This is my theories anyway

Duralumin the would not limit itself to metals but other functions of the body. Could duralumin enhance the bit of preservation in everyone? Emotional fortitude, mental abilities and natural physical abilities (though I think this one might just be related to pewter and tin). All we have seen of it outside of use with metals was a few moments when vin used it standing still. I think duralumin enhances the abilities of foreign substances personally. Such as medicine becoming stronger, drugs becoming more powerful, even maybe the effects of allowance on your emotions? Obviously duralumin allows you to choose which substance it enhances such as burning a metal in conjunction where as aluminum is against will power. This is my theories anyway

There WAS a moment though when Vin was burning only duralumin and moving around to see if it affected her physically.  as far as we can tell, it didn't

Aluminum is an enhancement metal after all, I don't see how aluminum can enhance if it solely destroys metals.

Keep in mind that the Quadrant names are in-world, they're made up by people (Vin in this case) so it's possible they just picked a bad name.

I realize that physically it might not do much because that is pesters job. I think however that the foreign substances may be enhanced somewhat. It's all just speculation though. The enhancement group was more named by Yomen but he knew things so maybe he knew more of aluminum

• Chaos locked this topic