Kendelian

The soul and limp of Kandra would be like a human, but they can change shapes and regrow it so they have a way to overcome that - but I guess the cut off part of the soul will remain dead. Cutting their spine won't kill them, because they don't use it like humans, so you won't kill Kandra with one strike.

Spoiler

greaterbookwyrm

What happens when you cut a kandra with a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

So a kandra is going to react basically the same way, in that the Shardblade's going to be hitting at the soul and severing it and things like that. They are not immune to Shardblades. But because they have mutable shapes, there will be a little bit of weirdness involved in that. You'll get to see that happen eventually.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

Spoiler

Questioner (paraphrased)

Would a Shardblade hurt a Kandra?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

A Shardblade would not kill a Kandra outright, but it would do significant damage.

American Fork High School Signing (Dec. 12, 2019)

29 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

I'm thinking that any limb cut would be 'dead' but they could just regrow a new equivalent limb. They would still lose mass, though.

What if, because they don't have a limb, they could regrow their body in the direction of a severed part and just reconnect it? But from a different direction than where it was cut off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 5:59 PM, alder24 said:

What if, because they don't have a limb, they could regrow their body in the direction of a severed part and just reconnect it? But from a different direction than where it was cut off.

the bone is what I think is the big problem here. they could consume their own flesh and use it again, but the bone is still cut in half.

14 minutes ago, PinkPlasma said:

the bone is what I think is the big problem here. they could consume their own flesh and use it again, but the bone is still cut in half.

That is why one of the top of my list characters is: 

TLM spoilers: 

Spoiler

Kandra with F bendalloy medallion and aetherbound... grow your own body and your own bones at will.  So dope. If you toss on A bendalloy via an extra spike it would only make it more epic. 

3 hours ago, PinkPlasma said:

Bone is not a part of their true body. So they can just replace it, bind with muscles, and regrow a body around the cut part. And is it cut in half? Shardblade cuts soul first, then physical, so the bone won't be cut by a Shardblade in one cut.

15 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Bone is not a part of their true body. So they can just replace it, bind with muscles, and regrow a body around the cut part. And is it cut in half? Shardblade cuts soul first, then physical, so the bone won't be cut by a Shardblade in one cut.

I always head cannoned that the kandra being cut would allow the blade to fuzz but that it would still pass through a bone like any other object.  I always thought that that would be the strength of an aluminum true body. Get yourself a boatload of aluminum and shape it into bones and then hide your central nervous system inside of that... With our spines working so well to encase our spinal cords and the option to make the aluminum porous the kandra could literally grow their nervous system through an interconnected system of aluminum that would render the shardblade useless against them. 

Imagine being some big bad shardbearer on your world and swinging it at a person only to have it suddenly slap something it cannot cut through and the enemy starts to laugh at you. 

I imagine a Kandra who intentionally builds their body for combat would be pretty scary for anyone to face.

The bones don't necessarily have to be one material the whole way through, do they? So feasibly, the bones could be made of steel which has been electroplated with aluminium for both physical strength and investiture resistance, without having to spend anywhere near as much on aluminium. This would make them pretty defensible against a Shardblade, although I imagine a ShardHammer would be the most effective weapon against any Kandra, because once the bone breaks it becomes a huge problem for them to deal with.

8 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

TLM spoilers: 

Reveal hidden contents

Kandra with F bendalloy medallion and aetherbound... grow your own body and your own bones at will.  So dope. If you toss on A bendalloy via an extra spike it would only make it more epic. 

That is indeed a pretty awesome idea!

18 hours ago, alder24 said:

to be honest, im not sure if cutting the arm off a kandra would cut its soul. its so amorphous, what parts of its body are parts of its soulweb? i always thought their regrowth abilities were in the side of just physical biology, wich would mean it wouldn't repair their soulweb. but if they can repair their body like that, did it even cut the soulweb? my guess is that when you cut a kandra the blade won't even fuzz. itll just cut through. their soulweb is probably contained in their blessings and wherever they are keeping their brain (or their equivelent).

5 hours ago, PinkPlasma said:

to be honest, im not sure if cutting the arm off a kandra would cut its soul. its so amorphous, what parts of its body are parts of its soulweb? i always thought their regrowth abilities were in the side of just physical biology, wich would mean it wouldn't repair their soulweb. but if they can repair their body like that, did it even cut the soulweb? my guess is that when you cut a kandra the blade won't even fuzz. itll just cut through. their soulweb is probably contained in their blessings and wherever they are keeping their brain (or their equivelent).

The WoB clearly states that a Shardblade would cut Kandra's soul, like in other people. So it's likely that Kandra's soul changes its "shape" to match current physical body, or it doesn't matter, because soul exist in Spiritual Realm, and Spiritual Realm is spaceless, so there is simply no shape that soul has, it's just attached to Kandra's body, and shape has no meaning in Spiritual Realm.

Spoiler

greaterbookwyrm

What happens when you cut a kandra with a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

So a kandra is going to react basically the same way, in that the Shardblade's going to be hitting at the soul and severing it and things like that. They are not immune to Shardblades. But because they have mutable shapes, there will be a little bit of weirdness involved in that. You'll get to see that happen eventually.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)