Soulcasting god metals

Xiahida

18 minutes ago, Xiahida said:

Can you soulcast things into god metals or would there be problems and just not work, I'm very interested on mixing types of Investiture.

Godmetals are made of a specific Investiture, and thus have a unique Intent, so I don't think that you could Soulcast something into a Godmetal, and you probably couldn't Soulcast a Godmetal into something else since it's pure Investiture (at the very least, Soulcasting a Godmetal into something else would be very inefficient, since it is highly Invested).

Welcome to the Shard. You can't soulcast something into a god metal

Spoiler

ninch

Could a person Soulcast more atium and lerasium if they had a bead?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Investiture messes things like that up.

General Signed Books 2014 (April 29, 2014)

Spoiler

Haylo_Alex

You've said before that Soulcasting can't create Atium or Lerasium which makes sense since they're made of Investiture from other Shards. But could a Soulcaster, perhaps in the proximity of Dalinar's perpendicularity, provide enough Stormlight to Soulcast something into Honor's Godmetal (Tanavastium)? What about Cultivation's metal, or an alloy of both, like Shardblade metal?

Brandon Sanderson

So, creating a God Metal is not something that's done easily in the Cosmere. HOWEVER, it is possible. You'd need a ton of Investiture, and being near Dalinar's perpendicularity is unlikely to be enough. I'd say Soulcasting, or something akin to it, has the means to do this if it could obtain the proper power charge.

Footnote: The questioner is mentioning this WoB.
General Reddit 2020 (Sept. 4, 2020)

I know it was accidental, but if you create double or triple post/topic like this, you can report it so mods can take care of this:

Spoiler

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit link. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

25 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Hide contents

Haylo_Alex

You've said before that Soulcasting can't create Atium or Lerasium which makes sense since they're made of Investiture from other Shards. But could a Soulcaster, perhaps in the proximity of Dalinar's perpendicularity, provide enough Stormlight to Soulcast something into Honor's Godmetal (Tanavastium)? What about Cultivation's metal, or an alloy of both, like Shardblade metal?

Brandon Sanderson

So, creating a God Metal is not something that's done easily in the Cosmere. HOWEVER, it is possible. You'd need a ton of Investiture, and being near Dalinar's perpendicularity is unlikely to be enough. I'd say Soulcasting, or something akin to it, has the means to do this if it could obtain the proper power charge.

Awesome. I had assumed that you couldn't Soulcast Godmetals into existence, period.

But this suggests that it is theoretically possible. Just functionally impossible in most cases, since you would need too much Investiture, and the Intent of the Investiture you're using matters.

But, if you were to somehow fuel Soulcasting with Preservation's Investiture (fulfilling the Intent requirement) and were to have enough Investiture, you could Soulcast Lerasium into existence.

Thanks for the neat quote @alder24!

Edited by Trusk'our

2 minutes ago, Frank of the Emerald Axes said:

I'm still annoyed at our little chat about Windrunners and Fullborn, just to let you know 

Why is that? I have fun with that :) But don't talk to me about it here. It's off topic, and spoiler.

4 minutes ago, Xiahida said:

I thought Intent was just WANTING to do something. If not how does it work?

Well, it is. But in case of creating god metals, you can't create Cultivation god metal using Honor's investiture, you need to use investiture that has intent to align with a Shard's metal you want to make. So this is the intent alignment @Trusk'our was talking about.

2 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Well, it is. But in case of creating god metals, you can't create Cultivation god metal using Honor's investiture, you need to use investiture that has intent to align with a Shard's metal you want to make. So this is the intent alignment @Trusk'our was talking about.

Exactly.

You'd need to find a way to convert Preservation's Investiture into something that could be used by the Soulcaster (specifically for Lerasium), and you would need a ton of it too.

And yes, if you wanted to make Raysium, you would need Voidlight.

Edited by Trusk'our

3 minutes ago, Xiahida said:

So you need voidlight to make Odium's metal?(In a nutshell)

Yes, tons of it. So much that you can't get it at all, thus making soulcasting a god metal impossible. God metal is a solid form of investiture, while Void/Strom/Lifelight are gaseous. And just like in real life, gas is much much less dense than a solid, but in this case you also have to consider how much investiture is contained in solid form, and it’s much more than in gaseous.

20 hours ago, alder24 said:

Yes, tons of it. So much that you can't get it at all, thus making soulcasting a god metal impossible.

I wonder if a Bondsmith could steal Connection from a Fused or Regal, then amplify it and open a Perpendicularity to Odium's Investiture.

Then you could get all the Voidlight you wanted.

2 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

I wonder if a Bondsmith could steal Connection from a Fused or Regal, then amplify it and open a Perpendicularity to Odium's Investiture.

Then you could get all the Voidlight you wanted.

Once again the same WoB, Dalinar's perpendicularity is unlikely to provide enough investiture for creation of a god metal associated with Shard's perpendicularity

Spoiler

Haylo_Alex

Brandon Sanderson

Just now, alder24 said:

Once again the same WoB, Dalinar's perpendicularity is unlikely to provide enough investiture for creation of a god metal associated with Shard's perpendicularity

Hide contents

Haylo_Alex

Brandon Sanderson

If you could find a way to store the power instead of just relying on the Perpendicularity, then maybe you could build up enough Investiture over time.

I wonder how many gemstones worth you would need?