Can you soulcast a lightweaving?

2 hours ago, theSurgeOfPhysics said:

Can you soulcast a lightweaving image into, say, stone?

I had not considered this before.

I would say probably no, you can't Soulcast the Lightweaving itself, since it is Investiture, and therefore can't be Soulcast as matter can be.

Although, you might be able to use Lightweaving to make Soulcasting something complex much easier, similar to how the Soulcasting ardents use poles and cloth to create a "foundation" for their creation of stone bunkers. 

And honestly, that would be really cool, as a big limitation of Soulcasting is the cognitive limitations of the practitioner, and this should make the job much easier.

Edited by Trusk'our

I am pretty sure Lightweavings do not get a distinct cognitive aspect enough to target with Soulcasting. Society might eventually get to a place where they'd consider a Lightweaving to be a Fire construct, bringing it into that Essence, but the matter of being temporary and made of Investiture still complicate that.

6 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

I had not considered this before.

I would say probably no, you can't Soulcast the Lightweaving itself, since it is Investiture, and therefore can't be Soulcast as matter can be.

Although, you might be able to use Lightweaving to make Soulcasting something complex much easier, similar to how the Soulcasting ardents use poles and cloth to create a "foundation" for their creation of stone bunkers. 

And honestly, that would be really cool, as a big limitation of Soulcasting is the cognitive limitations of the practitioner, and this should make the job much easier.

That’s exactly what I was thinking

On 3/3/2023 at 9:43 AM, theSurgeOfPhysics said:

Can you soulcast a lightweaving image into, say, stone?

Into stone? probably not (though you may be able to soulcast the Air inside the lightweaving into the same shape as the lightweaving).

However, it was heavily implied that Shallan was using Soulcasting on her Lightweavings in the OB Climax to make them at least partially "tangible" (ch 120)

Spoiler

Odium had made a mistake in flooding these soldiers with such thirst for blood. They didn’t care that Shallan fed them illusions—they just wanted a battle. So she provided one, and somehow her illusions resisted when the enemy hit them. She thought maybe she was combining Soulcasting with her Lightweaving.

The enemy howled and sang, exulting in the fray. She painted the ground red and sprayed the enemy with blood that felt real. She serenaded them with the sounds of men screaming, dying, swords clashing and bones breaking.

She absorbed them in the false reality, and they drank it in; they feasted on it.

Each one of her illusions that died hit her with a little shock. A sliver of her dying.

Those were reborn as she pushed them out to dance again.

This is probably the Lightweaver equivalent of the Reverse Lashing - a single ability that is pulling from both surges in the same order.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG