Gauging interest for The Wizard Arena... With AI

"It's that time of year again... for the Great Wizarding Battle! Mages from around the world have gathered here today to test their skill and ingenuity in mighty magical combat, seeking to learn new abilities - and earn the ultimate reward: the title of "Sorcerer Supreme." Who will emerge victorious? Only the gods know. But one thing is certain: only the best are allowed to compete. Good luck, everyone!"

A massive crowd had gathered at the grandstands to watch the battle. Though the stands were filled with those who had been granted tickets, many more stood outside them, waiting for a chance to get inside. The entire arena was alive with energy; people cheered wildly as each group entered the field.

The rules are simple: two teams enter; one team leaves. In other words, whoever can outdo the other wins. Each team consists of three mages, all chosen by the owner of the venue. There are four rounds, lasting exactly five minutes apiece. If the match goes to sudden-death overtime, it continues until either side scores or the clock runs out. A second round is played if there's still no winner after that.

That's pretty much everything you need to know about the event. Now let me tell you what you're here for. You're here because I'm the host this year. And I've invited some special guests to help me kick things off! First, we have the legendary hero known as Cinza, who has brought us such glorious works as The Story of the Great Sorcerer and The Tale of the Three Sorcerers.

Now, if you'll follow me..." The crowd roared in excitement, as Cinza made her way across the stage. As she approached the podium, she spoke softly so the microphones could pick up her voice.

"My friends, my fellow mages! You are all here today for one purpose; to witness history being made. This is the day our world will be changed forever!" Cinza waved to the audience, receiving cheers and applause in response. "But enough talk. Let the games begin!"

She took her seat, while the announcer continued his speech. He called the teams out one by one...

I figured I'd let the AI write the rules and intro here, 'cause I thought it'd be funny. Turns out it came up with some neat stuff.

Basically: you're in a spellcasting battle. While the AI seems to think we'll be following two teams, I haven't actually decided yet if we'll be doing it that way. We could do duels, free-for-alls, team battles, etc. - whatever you guys think would be the coolest.

To kick off some ideas I made an arena...

Arena.thumb.png.31bd842b3b25b4c680e2326cae14f20a.png

...but absolutely no rules to go with it. What are all the colored zones for? Do you keep your summons there until you can reach the corresponding circle on the field? Do they store up your spells to cast all at once? Is it where your enemies go when you defeat them? Why do all four circles connect to the one in the center? What's the purpose of the two slice zones on the sides?

I think the issue with Capture the Flag with AI was that I threw in too many rules. Conquer the World did so much better because you could do pretty much anything within a few broad guidelines - thus I'll be returning to that format, or to something very similar to it at least. Both were experiments and one was much more successful, which I think is very science.

Let's start for now with a basic rundown of the rules and character creation. Other details will be decided by the likes of you lot and the chaos of the AI as we go along.

Spoiler

Basic Premise and Rules:

I absolutely love DougDoug. If he ran for President of the World I would totally vote him. His channel is easily one of the best on the internet and never fails to make me laugh my head off; so when I watched this video of him and Twitch Chat invading Europe with AI, I couldn't help but dream about doing the exact same thing.

So I did. I purchased a subscription for NovelAI and used it to have all us Sharders conquer a fantasy world. And it was great! I loved it! School and work just got the better of me and it eventually died out.

This game will follow the same basic rules of Conquer the World and DougDoug's video. Essentially, you will have a turn in which you write out an action, such as "I cast a fireball at Fadran." I then enter this action into NovelAI and smack the "Send" button, copying down how it fills out the results right back here to determine the outcome of that action. This is a 100% foolproof method of determining actual, historically-accurate results of what would really happen in a wizard duel between all the Sharders, meaning gazillions of ridiculous happenstances and hijinks are bound to occur.

To play, simply follow these four easy steps:

1. Create a character. There will be a spoiler box at the bottom of this post where I'll have an empty character sheet. It'll be a lot more simple than the ones used for most RPs or the CtF game, so try not to stress it too much. All you have to worry about is making sure your character-specific powers and abilities are somewhat balanced (i.e. you can't say "my wizard's ability is that he has infinite magic and is invincible," but you guys aren't stupid and if you were I could pretend like you didn't exist, so all is well.
  2. Remember to write out descriptive and open-ended actions. If you write "Enter a Username stabs xinoehp," then the AI will think you have already succeeded in that action and move along, whereas if you write "Enter a Username moves to stab xinoehp," it'll be up to the AI to decide what happens. Similarly, make sure to throw in some detail and flair to your action - after all, "Enter a Username moves to stab xinoehp" likely won't end in some crazy, unexpected hijinks; and if we don't have those, then we don't have fun.
  3. Be a good sport. A reminder that the AI is 100x more genius than the all of us combined, and its words are the final and complete truth. Please don't whine about how lame it is that your fireball fizzled out or exploded in your face - obviously that would've happened in real life, so suck it up. We don't tolerate sore losers here.
  4. Don't bring attention to Fadran's repeat sends. Oftentimes the AI will completely skip over actions or go off on really long and unnecessary tangents. It often takes me several deletes and retries in order to get it to write something that's actually sensible and relevant. Obviously this is my fault and not the AI's, but for the sakes of our puny mortal comprehensions, I'll have to rig it once or twice now and again.

And uh... that's it. Make a character now please.

Blank Character Sheet:

Spoiler

Name: 

Description:

Primary Magical Powers:

Secondary Magical Powers:

The Primary and Secondary powers are NOT completely unique to your character. Rather they're singular point advantages that your character has by default (like the resources in Conquer the World). Effectively, your character starts with 2 "points," and acquires more later on as they do...... stuff.

Player/Character List:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Name: Crimson Falcon

Description: Covered in feathers

Primary ability: flight

Secondary ability: fireball

@NerdyAarakocra

Spoiler

Name: Kugijk'ran the All-Consuming *thunder sounds in the distance*

Description: Random wurm (not to be confused with a Wyrm or a worm) who's just hanging out and soon shall devour the world whole!

Primary power: Mind magic or something I guess...

Secondary power: Can burrow? 

@Enter a username 

Spoiler
Name: TBD

Description: TBD

Primary Magical Powers: TBD

Secondary Magical Powers: Sandvich

@UnfortunatelyNamed

Spoiler

Name: Port (Short for Porterion, master of the element)

Description: A short man with eyes made of fire, skin crackling with lightning, wind blowing around his head, and a coat of gleaming ice.

Primary Magical Powers: self-healing

Secondary Magical Powers: illusions

@The Wandering Wizard

Spoiler

Name: The Dragon

Description: Scaly, looks like a humanoid dragon.

Primary Magical Powers: Fire

Secondary Magical Powers: Lightning

@PyroPhile

Spoiler

Name: R136A1

Description: Automaton who likes to punch things for some reason

Primary Magical Powers: Transferring force over a distance (remote punching)

Secondary Magical Powers: Creating weapons from the terrain

@NikkiNogarde

Spoiler

Name: Prince Rowan Greenleaf the Second.

Description: standard garden gnome with sword and chainmail. Two feet tall. Very brave. Has a bird named Dandelion that he rides around on.

Primary magical powers: can talk to and control all manner of plant life. Make it grow, move, etc.

Secondary magical powers: can talk to birds. And is friends with most birds.

@Channelknight Fadran

Spoiler

Name: Junior I

Description: A fairly androgenous-looking demonborn with fancy horns and a taste for leatherwear

Primary: Fire resistance

Secondary: Summoning

@The Known Novel

Spoiler

Name: Kabal the Terrible, Archkaboom of the Asylum for the Terminally kaboomed

Description: Stonelike giant, very angwy at all times.

Primary: Kaboom

Secondary: Antikaboom/minor invulnerability

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

Spoiler

Name: Kugijk'ran the All-Consuming *thunder sounds in the distance*

Description: Random wurm (not to be confused with a Wyrm or a worm) who's just hanging out and soon shall devour the world whole!

Primary power: Mind magic or something I guess...

Secondary power: Can burrow? 

Also, I love the fact that the legendary hero writes children's books...

Spoiler

Name: Port (Short for Porterion, master of the element)

Description: A short man with eyes made of fire, skin crackling with lightning, wind blowing around his head, and a coat of gleaming ice.

Primary Magical Powers: self-healing

Secondary Magical Powers: illusions

I guess I'll join...? If that's okay? I'm very new here.

Spoiler

Name: Prince Rowan Greenleaf the Second.

Description: standard garden gnome with sword and chainmail. Two feet tall. Very brave. Has a bird named Dandelion that he rides around on.

Primary magical powers: can talk to and control all manner of plant life. Make it grow, move, etc.

Secondary magical powers: can talk to birds. And is friends with most birds.