Cosmere quick saving?

Frustration

So I found this WoB

Spoiler

Mac

If [Vin] burns mist-assisted gold, would she have experienced something that felt like one of Dalinar's visions?

Brandon Sanderson

Plausibly, yes.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/332/#e9577

And it got me thinking, you could use this to test multiple life choices on yourself for virtually no consequences.

And with Malatium you could test the reactions other people would give you to various answers. It's the ultimate always make the right choice mechanic.

7 hours ago, Frustration said:

So I found this WoB

Hide contents

Mac

If [Vin] burns mist-assisted gold, would she have experienced something that felt like one of Dalinar's visions?

Brandon Sanderson

Plausibly, yes.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/332/#e9577

And it got me thinking, you could use this to test multiple life choices on yourself for virtually no consequences.

And with Malatium you could test the reactions other people would give you to various answers. It's the ultimate always make the right choice mechanic.

But it only tells you what you would have done in a given circumstance, and doesn't therefore change the world you are living in. Even if you used this method with electrum or Atium, you would only see possibilities, which can be wrong, and therefore couldn't be an always-make-the-right-choice mechanism (though using the metallic arts to create Dallinar styled visions either of the past or the future would be insanely cool. Good quote by the way @Frustration)

But if you just want to see what could have been, or if you want to live in something similar to very advanced VR, then yeah, I think that this makes sense.

Edit: also, this is my 800th post!

Edited by Trusk'our

Both gold and Malatium are showing the past and how your different past choices would have affected your present, not how your present choices would affect your future. That's why it's comparable to Dalinar's visions as they are all focusing on the past, even RoW one. You would need electrum or atium to see that. And while you are already inhaling Mists, why don't you just wait a minute to Ascend, then you have far better future vision at your disposal. For all we know, only VIn was able to use Mists, because she was chosen to be the next Vessel.

1 hour ago, Trusk'our said:

Edit: also, this is my 800th post!

Congrats! You're so close to 1000 ;) 

3 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Both gold and Malatium are showing the past and how your different past choices would have affected your present, not how your present choices would affect your future. That's why it's comparable to Dalinar's visions as they are all focusing on the past, even RoW one.

Yes, but you can have an opportunity presented to you, and say "Hey give me a day to think over it" and then experience how they react, and how you feel to each answer.

4 minutes ago, alder24 said:

And while you are already inhaling Mists, why don't you just wait a minute to Ascend, then you have far better future vision at your disposal. For all we know, only VIn was able to use Mists, because she was chosen to be the next Vessel.

Wax has taken in the mists on a few occasions, so that's not a requirement

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Wax has taken in the mists on a few occasions, so that's not a requirement

But did it produce that stong effect? I don't remember. And he was the Sword of Harmony. Not just some Misting.

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Yes, but you can have an opportunity presented to you, and say "Hey give me a day to think over it" and then experience how they react, and how you feel to each answer.

It's not the same. After one day, the opportunity might have already passed, as telling "wait" is a choice, it also might just show you a road that might seem to be good at first, but later it could clearly become disastrous in consequences. Like "oh, these shady people offer to lend me lots of money, oh after a few days I see I will be filthy rich, have a nice new car, a nice villa. So let's do it - oh year has passed and they want money back, they took everything for me and forced me to work to repay a high interest rate. I'm their slave now. Why didn't I see it coming?".