[RoW] Navani's role as a…

theSurgeOfPhysics

We know Dalinar first wanted to "Unite them", that is, all of Roshar. Now, as a Radiant Bondsmith, he is determined to reinstate the Oathpact. For Navani, given that she is fast learning how to attune rhythms, will she be the key to uniting singers and humans in Book 5?

Edited by theSurgeOfPhysics

I always saw it as:

Dalinar :  unite Men (physical representatives)

Navani : unite Spren (cognitive representatives)

Third Bondsmith : unite Parsh (spiritual representatives)

i think the third Bondsmith will likely be Parsh….maybe Leshwi

I also think this ties into the death rattle regarding the fallen title (Bondsmith), the tower (Navani), the crown (Dalinar), and the spear (Leshwi or Moash).

1 hour ago, Marabout said:

I always saw it as:

i think the third Bondsmith will likely be Parsh….maybe Leshwi

I also think this ties into the death rattle regarding the fallen title (Bondsmith), the tower (Navani), the crown (Dalinar), and the spear (Leshwi or Moash).

I like this idea, but I think a bit differently.

Singers didn't have Bondsmith representation during past Desolations as they were always align with Odium, so there wouldn't be any Bondsmith swearing to unite his enemies. Parsh are not spiritual.

But Nightwatcher is a far better candidate to unite spren, because she's so far away from influence of men and because Sibling is the child of Honor and Cultivation equally, Sibling is uniting both men and spren. Sibling was telling Navani to stop doing fabrials with spren, and they both decided to find a way to satisfy needs of the people, without hurting spren - to unite men and spren. And that's what I think Navani will be doing, uniting men with spren, while also progressing science.

Of course if some Bondsmith wanted to unite Singers specifically, then he could swear it even to Stormfather and there wouldn't be any problems with. Oaths can differ as long as they still embody the same message - in the Bondsmith case to unite.

Edited by alder24

The spiritual realm is about Investiture and Connection

Parsh have strong need for connection and manifest physically depending on what they connect to.

They are also connected to Roshar itself through the Rhythms.  I see this as a spiritual connection.

Finally, the Parsh ancestors are basically investiture so they spend a lot of time in the spiritual realm.

So in my opinion, Parsh are good representatives of the Spiritual realm.

I don’t think it matters that there has never been a Parsh Bondsmith.  If one order can bond Parsh so can another.  I agree that it’s unlikely that Honor’s Spren would bind one but I see no reason Cultivation’s Spren wouldn’t.  The Parsh were likely connected to Cultivation long before men arrived.  I don’t think Cultivation favours one side of the war over another, she wants growth and sometimes growth is painful.

7 hours ago, Marabout said:

I always saw it as:

I came to a similar conclusion on Navani. For me, I see it as:

Stormfather- Honour is the god of society so the Bondsmith unites people

Nightwatcher- Cultivation is the god of nature so the Bondsmith unites the greatshells (chasmfiends, lanceryn, etc.) with the Radiant cause

Sibling- same mix of Intents as the Radiants and represents unity, so I also think they unite the spren and unite them with people

As for who is in charge of uniting humans and singers; it would probably be the Stormsmith, they just have to see it as part of their oath (Ideals being up for personal interpretation and all). That said I think the Nightwatcher is primarily the spren of gemhearts (hence the disconnect with humans and why I have them in charge of greatshells), so singers may also fall under this category, at least partially.

1 hour ago, Marabout said:

I don’t think it matters that there has never been a Parsh Bondsmith.  If one order can bond Parsh so can another.  I agree that it’s unlikely that Honor’s Spren would bind one but I see no reason Cultivation’s Spren wouldn’t.  The Parsh were likely connected to Cultivation long before men arrived.  I don’t think Cultivation favours one side of the war over another, she wants growth and sometimes growth is painful.

I think what @alder24 meant was that it can't have been the Nightsmith's duty to unite the singers as they were previously only humans fighting the singers; swearing to unite the singers would have essentially made them traitors, yet there is no hint of friction with the rest of the Radiants.

Also, Cultivation does favour the Radiant side, she just does it quietly and in her own way. I do agree that she doesn't favour one species, though.

17 hours ago, Marabout said:

I like this theory a lot! In RoW, Ch. 109, Leshwi hints at her past with spren. So perhaps she could be the one to unite the singers and spren.   

On 2/7/2023 at 11:59 AM, theSurgeOfPhysics said:

We know Dalinar first wanted to "Unite them", that is, all of Roshar. Now, as a Radiant Bondsmith, he is determined to reinstate the Oathpact. For Navani, given that she is fast learning how to attune rhythms, will she be the key to uniting singers and humans in Book 5?

We still are not sure if the "unite them" has anything to do with the Stormfather. The Stormfather claims to have never heard the "unite them" voice at all. 

Edited by teknopathetic

10 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

We still are not sure if the "unite them" has anything to do with the Stormfather. The Stormfather claims to to have heard the "unite them" voice at all. 

I was thinking about this and wondering if 'unite them' is somehow a message from Adonalsium, and whether a bondsmith has that kind of power to unite shards. 

I mean we started off thinking it meant the Alethi houses, and then all of the humans, and its heading for uniting humans and parshendi, so how far can the meaning of it regress? 

We know from Mistborn that this is somewhat possible - uniting shards (I haven't read mistborn past the original trilogy though).