Corrupted Truthwatcher untapped potential

Marabout

I have to admit, I was bummed out when Rlain became a corrupted Truthwatcher like Renarin.

It seems like such a lame power set at first glance.

After I thought about a bit though I wondered whether Renarin and Rlain can refine their “visions” to be used in combat.

With the right training / refinement couldn’t the “visions” function in the same way Atium does in combat in the Mistborn series?

A fighter who knows what’s coming and can Also heal faster than any of his opponents? Godly (pun intended).

2 hours ago, Marabout said:

After I thought about a bit though I wondered whether Renarin and Rlain can refine their “visions” to be used in combat.

Something to consider; Renarin seems to have normal Radiant Regrowth and Enlightened (Corrupted) Lightweaving. What is to say that Rlain will be the same? Could he not have normal Radiant Lightweaving and Enlightened (Corrupted) Regrowth? Tumi refers to him as "Bridger Of Minds" and there is a part of the Diagram that almost certainly was warning about allowing Rlain to form a bond. I suspect the ability to "Bridge Minds" is the form Enlightened Regrowth will take.

"There has to be an answer. What is the answer? Stop. The Parshendi. One of them. Yes they are the missing piece. Push for the Alethi to destroy them outright before this one obtains their power. It will form a bridge."

56 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

Something to consider; Renarin seems to have normal Radiant Regrowth and Enlightened (Corrupted) Lightweaving. What is to say that Rlain will be the same? Could he not have normal Radiant Lightweaving and Enlightened (Corrupted) Regrowth? Tumi refers to him as "Bridger Of Minds" and there is a part of the Diagram that almost certainly was warning about allowing Rlain to form a bond. I suspect the ability to "Bridge Minds" is the form Enlightened Regrowth will take.

I think that part of Diagram refers to the War of Reckoning, to push Alethi to destroy Listeners to destroy them, which would force them to turn to Odium and summon Everstorm, which would form a bridge, and bring back Desolations. All of that needs to be done before one of them obtains the powers of Surgebinding and Willshapers - Eshonai is that one of them who bonded a spren, missing piece as Willshaper sprens decided not to bond with humans. If Eshonai realized that she was a Radiant, Listeners would never summon Everstorm, instead they would bond with Willshaper sprens. This idea of "forming a bridge" isn't the first one - Nale was hunting Radiants to prevent them from forming a bridge which in his mind would bring back Desolations. 

What's hard about using Renarin's visions in combat like Atium, is that right now they manifest as stained glass pictures that sometimes do not provide clear information - it has to be interpreted. In current form they would be more distracting in dynamic fights than helpful. But it can change when Renarin progresses in his Ideals. Still, his ability is much more useful in planning on a grand scale than Atium could ever provide in individual fights.

On 1/25/2023 at 9:40 AM, alder24 said:

I think that part of Diagram refers to the War of Reckoning, to push Alethi to destroy Listeners to destroy them, which would force them to turn to Odium and summon Everstorm, which would form a bridge, and bring back Desolations. All of that needs to be done before one of them obtains the powers of Surgebinding and Willshapers - Eshonai is that one of them who bonded a spren, missing piece as Willshaper sprens decided not to bond with humans. If Eshonai realized that she was a Radiant, Listeners would never summon Everstorm, instead they would bond with Willshaper sprens. This idea of "forming a bridge" isn't the first one - Nale was hunting Radiants to prevent them from forming a bridge which in his mind would bring back Desolations. 

What's hard about using Renarin's visions in combat like Atium, is that right now they manifest as stained glass pictures that sometimes do not provide clear information - it has to be interpreted. In current form they would be more distracting in dynamic fights than helpful. But it can change when Renarin progresses in his Ideals. Still, his ability is much more useful in planning on a grand scale than Atium could ever provide in individual fights.

I could see the prophecy referring to Rlain or Venli.  He was too late to stop the latter.  The Storm could easily be the bridge.  But, it could be the former.

In the meantime, I would probably reserve Atium levels of precognition for higher ideals.

If I have it right, the future sight might be the single greatest counter to Odium, rather than something that is useful in the day to day life of Roshar. 

Throughout the cosmere future sight disrupts other future sight and infinitely expands the number of possible futures that someone can see, due to two people being able to see each other's possible futures. Todium sees huge numbers of possible futures in RoW. 

I'm thinking if Renarin is among the important human characters, and Rlain is puts himself among the listeners, it would greatly disrupt Todium's ability to use his future sight to manipulate these two populations.

As Renarin and Rlain gain more XP by saying some words, they might be able to further disrupt Todium and make his planning more and more difficult. I'm wondering if future sight may be expanded to be able to deliberately 'plant' false futures for Todium to see.

On 1/25/2023 at 9:30 AM, The Sovereign said:

I like the idea of enlighten regrowth but not sure what bridge of minds, has to fo with it.

I wonder if enlightened regrowth we regrow objects instead of people.