Crazy F-Aluminum idea

Mistchemist16

I was thinking about Feruchemical Aliminum, trying to think of how it could ever be made useful in any Twinborn. The only use I had ever thought of in the past was combining with pewter and trying to “heal” into someone else. But then, I thought of one other crazy idea. I want you guys to look at my theory and critique it. To start, it requires two premises.

Premise 1: Many Allomantic metals emanate effects from the Spiritual center of self

This one shouldn’t be too difficult. From the Alloy of Law Ars Arcanum, we know that this is why steel and iron lines go to the chest. However, I believe it has greater applications. 

Questioner

So, if we switch to Scadrial, and I had lined the inside of my hat with aluminum, I'm protecting myself from emotional Allomancy. What if I was able to use emotional Allomancy? Would that block me?

Brandon Sanderson

So, it's going to interfere a little bit. But the issue with that is, a lot of Allomancy is coming from center and going to head. So, you're probably still gonna be okay with the helmet... So, I'm gonna say, you don't want a lot of aluminum around you, but you could probably still make it work.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

Soothing and Rioting come from the chest just like the lines. I’m also assuming the same rule applies for copper clouds and the time bubble metals. This will be relevant later

Premise 2: In the absence of Identity, cognitive behavior (thinking) can change the location of this center of self

This one is where I stretch. We know that cognitive perception does affect spiritual expression, like how you can’t heal an injury you see as part of yourself. My theory has always been that if you had little to no Identity, you could basically replace your Spiritual ideal with whatever you imagined. Hence, a short man who burned Pewter with no Identity could imagine himself to be tall and he would heal accordingly. 

If we take Premise 2 a step further, it is possible that one could replace their center of self with another place they can see or maybe even just remeber perfectly. 

Already, this could work for some Twinborn. Coinshots or Lurchers could suddenly move metals in totally different directions. Cadmium Twinborn could summon their time bubbles over someone else. 

But the really fun applications are for Fullborn or crazy Hemalurgists. Compounding copper could carry Allomantic effects to a place you remember. The Lord Ruler could’ve suddenly dropped a burst of super Soothing without ever leaving the castle, as long as he had copper minds with his targets. You might even be able to go a step farther and trick the Spiritual Realm into letting you see targets. Imagine burning malatium and dropping a slow bubble on your enemy when they were getting a morning coffee. Probably works better for time metals, but you could argue the others do too. Alternatively, you could use duralumin-Atium and try to work across location. Mail your friends a coppercloud overseas.

The final thing I should clarify is Connection. It may be that Connection handles your plhysical location instead. In that case, Fullborn can simply blank their connection via F-Duralumin: it only really hurts Twinborn. But I also didn’t mention it because I saw Connection as a broad strokes brush. It would remember which street you’re on but not your exact coordinates. In other words, the hack works in your line of sight. Personally, I’d rather let the Twinborn have it for artistic reasons, unless I’m missing some other contradiction

Anyway, that’s my theory. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Gold heals, not pewter. Pewter gives strength.

I think it would work similar to hypnosis. You could change your appearance with identity storing, and possibly connections (how people view you might also affect your ideal spiritual image), however you would need a lot of healing in your goldminds. But changing your center of perception would be too much. Your spirit is attached to your body, and this would most likely prevent you from changing your center of perception and doing those things - your soul is permanently stuck to your body. The same way you can't fill metalminds that you don't touch, you can't be in places, your spirit doesn't "touch".

SA spoilers, WoB about hypnosis:

Spoiler

learhpa

Given that Stormlight healing matches to mental self-image (as shown by both the Lopen and by the Reshi monarch), could a really powerful hypnotist change someone's self-image in a way that would affect Stormlight healing? Could a powerful hypnotist use Stormlight healing to change a human into a listener?

Brandon Sanderson

Theoretically possible...to an extent. There is a limit to this, but the limitation is the amount of Investiture you have and access to Stormlight—or you know, Voidlight—can evidence this. Transformations that are happening in the storm to the listener forms are involved in this. That could theoretically happen to a human as well. But you would basically—what most likely would happen is it would have to involve a specific set of circumstances and then entering the storm, and then exiting as a listener—that could happen. You guys ask some farfetched things—that one's not so farfetched. It does require some specificity, but it could happen.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 5 (Dec. 2, 2022)

Nice theory overall.

Edit: WoB about identity and appearance

Spoiler

Questioner

I've got a Mistborn question for you. So, Identity? Can you store, like-- is your physical appearance part of your Identity?

Brandon Sanderson

It is to some people. To most people, it's a part of it, yes.... I don't know the answer-- don't take that as "You can store that." and things like that. It's involved. There are certain things you can do. But it's not as simple as it might have sounded, what I just implied.

Questioner

So, does that apply to your Identity, if you're in the Cognitive Realm? Or the Physical Realm? Can you store that?

Brandon Sanderson

The reason you look like you do in the Cognitive Realm is because it's Identity, things like that. I'm not gonna talk about specifically how storing that works really. Although there is the idea that your soul is the key to Investiture and stuff like that.

Salt Lake City ComicCon 2017 (Sept. 23, 2017)

Edited by alder24