Feeding Nightblood

In the worlds of investiture who truly does hold the most?  I am curious which characters could hold onto Nightblood completely drawn the longest.

I know the only real answer is a bondsmith with a perpendicularity open next to them... but lets look at a few others.  

Elantrian's.  Having never read this book I can't really give any thoughts on how invested they are but I imagine they could hold it for a good amount of time. 

The Godking.  With the 50,000 breaths we know he has how long do you suppose he lasts?  

The Lord Ruler at his peak with all those full metalminds and a stomach full of metals.

How long would a wearer with the bands of mourning last?  

Sandmasters?  I think they convert water into investiture or something along those lines?  

Other radiants minus a perpendicularity next to them.  Normal spheres weaved into clothing and such.  (Gotta ask if ideals make a difference in Nightbloods feeding like they do in how effecient a radiant is with surges)

Vin at the end of HoA while breathing mist.  

I know I talk about how there is no actual formula or basis for us to measure actual investiture levels and purity or quantity from world to world but curious of your thoughts.  

Per the Taldain System essay in AU, Sand Masters actually hold "very small amounts" of Investiture. So they don't last long at all. It's probably like a normal Nalthis resident picking up Nightblood.

Elantrians... their inherent Investiture isn't enough, "Nightblood would just eat their soul". They could feed Nightblood briefly with an Aon, but the Aon would get destroyed "pretty quickly". Two 2017 WoBs on this spoilered for length.

Spoiler

Just another guyn

If an Elantrian were to get a hold of Nightblood and draw it, how would Nightblood react to that-- What kind of power would be unleashed?

Brandon Sanderson

So Nightblood needs kinetic Investiture to feed upon. The Elantrian would have to be able to get a conduit to the Dor to feed Nightblood or Nightblood would just eat their soul.

Just another guyn

So if they used AonDor to fuel Nightblood--

Brandon Sanderson

There are some types of AonDor that would work, and there are others that would not.

Just another guyn

And would Nightblood just keep going until either the Aon was--

Brandon Sanderson

He would dissolve the Aon as he drew the power from it.

Just another guyn

So it wouldn't just empty the Dor?

Brandon Sanderson

No, it would not empty the Dor.

BYU Writing Class Wrap-up 2017 (April 25, 2017)

Questioner

Could an Elantrian just write an Aon above Nightblood and then use it forever?

Brandon Sanderson

Use it forever? No. 

Questioner

Forever is pushing it.

Brandon Sanderson

No, no, I mean, Nightblood would destroy an Aon pretty quickly. It would pull power through it--

Questioner

It would be like trying to put too much power through a small--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, it would just rip it up to shreds. You'd get a little use out of it. He would eat the very structure of it, if that makes any sense.

Oathbringer Leeds signing (Dec. 1, 2017)

Normal Radiant with spheres... well, we see this briefly in RoW. I think you run low on spheres pretty fast, but Nightblood is usable.

Lord Ruler or Bands of Mourning... Burning metals and tapping metalminds would work for a little while.

Susebron with >50,000 Breaths... quite a while. I think Vasher only has hundreds at the end of Warbreaker. However, Nightblood's consumption rate accelerates, so even he will be in trouble if he leaves the sword drawn too long.

Vin with full mist input end of HoA (not just limited mist burning at end of TFE) is probably safe. At that point she was Ascending to the full Shard of Preservation, and Nightblood cannot eat an entire Shard all at once. Eventually he'd hit 'food coma' mode. (Post-RoW 2020 WoB)

Spoiler

lucagreene18

If Szeth were to have drawn Nightblood immediately after he had consumed Rayse, would he still have drained Szeth's Stormlight? As it said he seemed like he had eaten as much as he could.

Brandon Sanderson

At that point, Nightblood had entered into essentially a food coma... Well, no, the food coma one came when he was drawing from the perpendicularity. I don't think he was in food coma mode at that point. I think that he could still have drawn more at that point, I'd have to go look at exactly what I wrote, if I'd put him into food coma mode or not. It is possible.

This is one of the things I wanted to answer with the book. A lot of people have been theorizing, could Nightblood eat an entire Shard? And indeed, Nightblood could not eat an entire Shard. That is not within his capability. In fact, one of the reasons that he leaks Investiture is: he's too stuffed full of it. There is more Investiture in the sword Nightblood than it can actually hold, it's supersaturated. And it leaks Investiture (that it's done some weird things to). But it is constantly hungry for more and constantly leaks it, but it definitely can get full for a time, and it could not eat an entire Shard.

I did see questions about that from people floating around, and it's something I'd been meaning to get to eventually. Nightblood is definitely relevant to things that are happening in the Cosmere, but it is not as simple as grabbing the sword, sticking it into a Shard, and defeating the Shard, unfortunately. Though, as you see in this book, there are reasons for a Shard to still be afraid of Nightblood. It didn't destroy Odium, but Rayse still really had a bad time.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 1 (Dec. 17, 2020)

Other magic systems you didn't mention...

I don't think Aviar bonded people get any kinetic Investiture flowing through them (the bird is using the power), so they're dead.

Forgery doesn't use much Investiture so they're probably worse off than Elantrians - a soulstamp gets eaten really fast and then their soul. Dakhor... presumably their bone sigils would get eaten like Aons, which is probably super unpleasant (then their soul goes).

Edited by cometaryorbit

21 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I know the only real answer is a bondsmith with a perpendicularity open next to them... but lets look at a few others.  

That's the winner. But eventually Nightblood would collapsed perpendicularity, as Nightblood would want more per second than perpendicularity per second can provide.

22 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Elantrian's.  Having never read this book I can't really give any thoughts on how invested they are but I imagine they could hold it for a good amount of time. 

Aons can provide investiture for Nightblood, but it would collapsed as Nightblood wants too much of it, and would feed on aons.

23 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

The Godking.  With the 50,000 breaths we know he has how long do you suppose he lasts?  

Yup, that's the second place. He is the most invested person currently. Just look at the effects his Breats has around him. Those are effects of huge amount of investiture.

24 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

The Lord Ruler at his peak with all those full metalminds and a stomach full of metals.

Surprisingly, this is not a lot of investiture. Those are small amounts. Maybe if he were to hold power of the Well, he would be the winner and Nightblood would get satisfy even. But with just his metalminds, that low amounts of investiture. And he would have to actively draw from his metalminds and burn metals to feed Nightblood, otherwise, Nightblood would feed on his soul.

25 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

How long would a wearer with the bands of mourning last?  

Even shorter than The Lord Ruler.

27 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Sandmasters?  I think they convert water into investiture or something along those lines?  

Don't they use investiture from the Sand? But that still is small amount.

28 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Other radiants minus a perpendicularity next to them.  Normal spheres weaved into clothing and such.  (Gotta ask if ideals make a difference in Nightbloods feeding like they do in how effecient a radiant is with surges)

That's short still. For fast fightning ok.

29 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Vin at the end of HoA while breathing mist.  

That would satisfy Nightblood, he wouldn't be able to eat her whole, as she's holding ridiculous fraction of shard power. So the winner as well.

17 hours ago, alder24 said:

Yup, that's the second place. He is the most invested person currently. Just look at the effects his Breats has around him. Those are effects of huge amount of investiture.

Surprisingly, this is not a lot of investiture. Those are small amounts. Maybe if he were to hold power of the Well, he would be the winner and Nightblood would get satisfy even. But with just his metalminds, that low amounts of investiture. And he would have to actively draw from his metalminds and burn metals to feed Nightblood, otherwise, Nightblood would feed on his soul.

Actually, I believe Rysn is more Invested than even Susebron. She can't really use that power though - and I don't know what would happen if she drew Nightblood, since "Dawnshards self-protect".

Yeah, TLR with just metals/metalminds would burn out pretty fast.

The Well of Ascension itself is a major chunk of Shard power, even more Investiture than a "normal" perpendicularity, so would surely send Nightblood into satisfied / 'food coma' mode before he could eat it all.

3 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

Actually, I believe Rysn is more Invested than even Susebron.

Does she splits white light into rainbow? I don't think so. but don't remember.

5 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

She can't really use that power though - and I don't know what would happen if she drew Nightblood, since "Dawnshards self-protect".

This is a really good question to ask Brandon. 

6 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

'food coma' mode

Those are the words I should use instead of "satisfied"! I knew it had some name.

One of my unpopular opinions is that Nightblood's saturation point is way lower than most people theorize, though I think Nightblood's rate of consumption is higher than most invested art's output. But I look at the Battle of Thaylen Field and it seems like Nightblood was getting full at the end of it, which makes me think that if Susebron used Nightblood, Nightblood would get full way before his breaths are exhausted. The difficulty with trying to feed Nightblood a kinetic investiture like allomancy, aon dor, or even perpedicularities, is that Nightblood will drain them faster than the art can sustain. It seems like passive investitures (as much as Stormlight without surges can be considered passive) are the key to using Nightblood.