The Vigil (E6T2)

MacThorstenson

Vivica, the Cauldron

It was so easy to get lost in the deepness of Nox’s eyes as he looked at her. She recalled them as they were in the Forgery, dark green like the jungle at night. There was still the slightest hint of that green in the black now, lingering like the echo of a song. Vivica did not mourn its loss; rather, she envied it, having been swallowed utterly by that darkness. She recalled the memory of dwelling in a perfect gemstone, every facet reflecting his face back to her. Was that what it would be like to drown in the darkness of his eyes? Every bit of her subsumed in him, with only the echo of her remaining?

Vivica thought on this for a moment, then smiled wider.

”It is what I want,” she said, leaning closer to him. Nox smelled clean and warm and real, the leftover scent of sweet ice cream giving way to a deeper hint of dust after rain, of old stone and hidden things and perfectly-placed metal. 

“If I wish to be who I truly am, I would wish to be someone who could enjoy every bit of your gift. Someone who could be ever more completely yours. And I don’t much mind doing it here - the whole city is yours. All these people are yours.”

As she spoke, she found the words were true. Vivica was out in the city and y have felt afraid. But with Nox, fear was impossible. There was nothing but him, and wherever he was was the epicenter of creation. Her smile widened. 

“Whatever needs to change, please do it. You can make no mistake with me, ever. You’re perfect, Nox. I trust you.”

@Voidus

On 12/21/2022 at 7:39 PM, Sherlock Holmes said:

"Financial ruin isn't a problem, since our manufacturing continues," Tena said, careful to keep her words guarded. She didn't intend on saying anything untrue-- being a poor liar, despite herself-- but she didn't want to "give anything away", as she'd so often heard. "We are poorer than we were, but we were never poor. I'm working on recruitment in particular, since I think that's our best hope for recovering."

She finished her drink and set it down on the table, still keeping it close to herself. "We'll be doing some small operations in dealing with crime in the Alleycity, I think. There's a lot of looting and confusion following the shift of everyone's personalities. It's a proper mess."

"Manufacturing?" He took a sip of the cider, wincing at the flavor. "I didn't realize you had an industrial base to work off of. That... changes the calculations."

He closed his eyes and concentrated, disguising the motion by taking a long swig out of the cider. The woman's mind was guarded. There was almost no feeling emanating from it. He thought she was telling the truth, but couldn't be sure.

"We'll want to establish contact with the bands of looters, I assume?" He winced at the terrible aftertaste of the cider. "If we can get them to hand over a cut of their spoils, it should help with the finances. The ones that refuse will have to be liquidated, of course, as well as any that are too brutal in their methods. We want to control the crime scene, not let it run wild."

@Sherlock Holmes

Edited by Grey Knight

Laurelai, Hathsin, Mistkeep

Laurelai's gaze lingered on Lita as she left, there was no sign of it to her but just an ever so faint sense of something... off. A discomfort that wasn't normally there when the two were together. And it still remained even after Laurelai had done what she could to be rid of it. She had thought she had fixed the problem, was there another?

She continued to move, alone now on the dance floor. Moving by herself was a little easier, there were well-practiced motions she could go through if she simply adjusted the rhythm, not so difficult as also having to take into account the movements of a partner. But that also meant she had more mental space to think, and that was just leading her right back into a circle and worrying further. 

Had Lita noticed that Laurelai had changed herself? Very rare for someone to notice that, but Lita knew what she was capable of, and knew better than most what to look for. The thought provoked a pang of pained discomfort in her, an aching in her chest and memories that she quickly pressed back down. She tried to draw a deep breath, focus on the dancing around her. But what step had she been up to? Something felt... was something wrong with her?

No, I can manage this. She reminded herself, lips moving very slightly in an uncharacteristically discomposed tell. I am Laurelai Esserethel, a Forger. Denizen of the Dark Alleys. 

Her lips continued to move in a near-soundless whisper. She repeated a small litany to herself until eventually she felt calm return. Her smile shifted from false to genuine as her blue eyes gleamed with a renewed sparkle. She slipped effortlessly back into the music, slowly shifting herself across the floor until she eventually slid into a seat at an empty table to await Lita's return.
@ZincAboutIt

SeKaan, SeKaan's safehouse, the Bindpoint

The other Kandra's story provoked a shudder of discomfort from SeKaan, along with a pang of unintentional sympathy. All too easily SeKaan could recall being a prisoner, trapped in their own body as a mind that was not theirs forced them to obey. A horrific, claustrophobic and existential terror squirmed in those memories, but SeKaan let it loose along with the recollection. It was not something they needed to think about right now.

Though it did bring a sour aftertaste to that moment of sympathy.

They gave a small nod, thinking the matter over only for a moment before coming to a decision. This was precisely why SeKaan had brought them here instead of the Safehouse they actually intended to stay in this evening. And it was little loss truly, there were no doubt dozens that could replace it if this other Kandra wished to use it for now. It was as much of a familial act of kindness as SeKaan could give to a Kandra of lower generation.

"I have only heard a few things of this group." They said, keeping a neutral tone. "I had thought perhaps they would be a little more... accepting of a Kandra than others in the city. I was, perhaps, mistaken."

Their ears, now reformed, began to listen keenly to both the story and the sounds from outside. If even half the rumors SeKaan had picked up about this group were true then it was entirely possible that even now some shadowy and powerful figure was approaching. Best to be vigilant, prepared and forewarned.

Their musculature shifted very slightly, moving away from larger muscles and more towards tighter tendons and faster motion. In the Homeland the change would be as good as announcing their fears, practically radiating an energy of flight reflex. But in the city, watched only by an Inquisitor and newborn Kandra it might even go unnoticed entirely.

SeKaan's attention shifted with that thought to the Inquisitor, reminded again that there was every possibility that she had both the ability and the knowledge required to exploit the Weakness. Was that why they had accompanied two Kandra here, seemingly unconcerned of an ambush despite her earlier suspicions?

"Your kind I had thought nearly extinct." SeKaan remarked. "I have heard that this city sometimes connects to the past, are you from earlier days of the Empire? No, you mentioned Harmony. Hmm... curious."

@AonEne @NerdyAarakocra

Lita, Hathsin, Mistkeep

The bar was up at the head of the building, where the altar had once stood. Lita smiled a bit despite herself as she looked up at the stained glass triptych looming over them. The Survivor hovered amongst grey tendrils of mist, arms spread outward, one hand grasping a spear, the other palm up, Pushing on a collection of gold coins.

Lita felt her smile twist into something bitter as she dipped a hand into her bag and removed her own gold Coin. A gift, supposedly. She stared at it, fighting off memories that threatened to drown her. So many empty words. A lovely dream - that’s all that had been. Just a dream, and this was just waking up.

”We don’t take those here, love.”

Lita looked up, meeting the kohl-rimmed grey eyes of the bartender. The woman winked, pouring a perfect shot into a glass without looking at it and sliding it to her left, where a customer picked it up with a word of thanks.

”Hmm?” Lita blinked, arranging her face into a practiced expression of cool amusement.

”That coin. Whatever currency it is, we don’t take it here. Chrysts or Boxings only.”

”Not a problem,” Lita said, sliding a small pouch of chrysts out of her bag and laying down a palmful. “A bottle of Elariel Estate please, and two glasses.”

The bartender raised a single black eyebrow, counted out the money, and then nodded. She ducked down, looking for something behind the bar, before reappearing with a bottle.

”Expensive taste,” she remarked, setting the bottle on the bar and then two glasses beside it.

Lita let her eyes travel appreciatively over the woman and felt her smile hook upward on one side. “When you know what you like, why settle for less?”

The bartender grinned. “Why indeed? Are you new to the city? I’ve never seen that kind of coin before.”

The easy, sinuous trickle of pleasant conversation soured immediately at the mention of the Coin. Lita pressed her lips together and slid it back into her bag, taking the bottle and glasses in both hands.

”It’s not currency,” she said curtly. “It isn’t something you pay with. It’s something you pay for.”

Lita nodded at the chrysts as she turned to leave. “Keep the extra.”

The crowd parted before her as she walked back towards the little table where Laurelai had sat down. Perhaps she was simply skilled at finding the right spaces to slip through. Or perhaps the other patrons noticed the look on her face and did not wish to be the ones in her way.

@Voidus

Marie, SeKaan's safehouse, the Bindpoint 

Marie watched SeKaan change with interest. The process was faster than she had expected. Less gory, as well; she glimpsed only a few organs (and they were the correct colors - the kandra knew their anatomy). 

She relaxed fractionally when SeKaan said they were not on good terms with Harmony, and when the other kandra admitted not to knowing him. That was a surprise, but one quickly explained with a story - one which made Marie feel a way she didn't like; which made some part of her turn over in the back of her mind in a way that felt sick. Whatever the memory was, it wasn't in a coppermind, so it wasn't the worst of it. The bit about the unnamed kandra being spiked again, though she knew her own experiences with spike placement mostly were put away one way or another and shouldn't bother her, had her flicking her pewter on and off inside. 

That they had been trapped, had no life to live - of course that was also familiar. Marie allowed herself to know that this was how she had felt since her induction to the Steel Inquisitors. It was also, of course, perfectly fine in most cases and she had not needed to have her own life with Ruin. What could be freer than flame and steel, ripping through the wind? And Harmony had taken that from her. 

She spoke up, having leaned against an intact wall a minute or so after the unnamed kandra sat down. She wasn't physically in danger from these two, possibly not in danger from them at all. "You've got it right that I'm not friendly with Harmony either. His idea of help is more like my idea of hell. I came here to get away from him too, and to 'build a life'." The air quotes she did with her hands weren't necessary, what with the tone of her voice, but making them was automatic. 

(She wondered if she had been sarcastic with other noblewomen, with friends, if she had had friends then. Or was it something she had picked up only after Ruin, when speaking to Harmony? She could not imagine using air quotes when speaking to Ruin, nor to the other Inquisitors, even when mocking someone.) 

"I was made before the Catacendre, some...twenty-one, twenty-two? I don't know, a couple decades after I was born. I was an Inquisitor for the Lord Ruler. And then there was Ruin, and I was his, of course." Her voice was casual, still, easy. This was safe territory. "And then he was - then Harmony took up both Shards and remade the world. I did not submit to his glory or authority. He believed that he could, and should, turn me from Ruin. He stopped me from crossing the lines he did not believe should be crossed, in regards to death and destruction. But he must not have had many lines of his own, because he was perfectly happy to mess with my head in trying to - " 

Marie cut off, realizing she was standing again and breathing heavily, voice raised. She tried to reset, but she couldn't pack the anger away, and finally she jerked her head to the side, swung her fist and punched the wall. If she'd had a knife in her hand she might have thrown it. 

Shaking out her hand, she said tightly, "We are nearly extinct. I think it's just me and the traitor who goes by Death. We're it, as far as I know." 

@Voidus @NerdyAarakocra 

Collaborative short-form post on the Discord, posting here for clarity but spoilered for length.

Spoiler

Mrs.Voidus — Today at 2:58 PM
It had been a full week since landing in this strange new place, and few people were willing to talk about whoever it was that was in charge. Even in forcing herself to put the fear of a somehow living Voidus, destroyer of her universe, she was still at complete odds with the basics of etiquette and power. So it was no surprise to her that the so victorius person featured in the stained glass mural here was equally unfamiliar. Drinks were the same though. 
"One dry Red wine if you please," she ordered from the muscular bartender.
Voidus — Today at 3:01 PM
Laurelai, giving Lita a relaxed smile as she takes a seat opposite: Elariel? Mmm, wonderful. You always know how to make it a nice night out.
She hums along to the music for a few notes, taking the bottle and pouring a glass for each of them.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 3:02 PM
Lita, picking up the glass and swirling it a few times: Well, one does what one can.
Voidus — Today at 3:04 PM
Bartender, taking a glance over Valeria and busily pouring drinks for several others: Bottle or glass? We have a few bottles of Elariel open if you'd like.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:07 PM
Valeria: Thank you, a glass will suffice. How much? I am new to your currency. 
Voidus — Today at 3:10 PM
Bartender, nodding and pulling a glass from the counter with one hand while seeming to practically summon a bottle with the other: Five chrysts a glass unless you've got Boxings with you? Can't take any other currency I'm afraid.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:11 PM
her hair was in its somewhat neater bun, and despite a put together appearance, she failed to disguise her wince at the price that would take the last of her chrysts.
Valeria: a little more than one would hope, I am afraid, though I have heard much about its excellent quality.
Voidus — Today at 3:13 PM
Bartender, glancing over her again: I can drop it down to four for you. Or if you'd rather settle for something else we have some Selish vintages, or a Callingfale if you're desperate.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:15 PM
Valeria snorts: Desperate indeed. 
Tell me, looking for a name badge, Argestine, a lot of people have gone missing recently. And a lot of people have given up jobs they once had. You wouldn't be in need of a live in cleaner? I'll work hard, all day or night for minimal pay and board with 9 hours a day for rest and free time.
she holds her breath with hope that maybe with one more night with a roof she could hear something about lost children
Voidus — Today at 3:20 PM
Arge: Arge if you don't mind. A job? Not sure that we really have anywhere to board, and I'd have to speak with management. Are you alright? I know people have been in trouble all over this last week.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:21 PM
Valeria: I'm afraid I cannot provide references, as they are all dead.
And I
Oh
her eyes begin to fill with tears
No one has asked me that in a long time.
she sniffs
Thank you, Arge. A simple blanket on the floor in a store room would suffice
I can begin a free trial now? Show you what I can do? 
she lowers her voice as it wavers
I lost my daughter a while ago. And I just want to earn enough to acquire a safe space we can live in when I find her
Voidus — Today at 3:25 PM
Arge, frowning with concern and waving off a few other customers: It hit you hard? Nevermind, don't answer. I can find somewhere for you tonight. You don't have to work for it if you don't want, I wouldn't force that on someone. But we are a little busier than expected tonight. Grief brings it out in people I suppose.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:26 PM
Valeria smiles as she wipes a tear from her eye, Thank you. Yes.
Valeria takes a cloth from aclean pile behind the counter and an empty tray, which she sits on her hip.
Valeria: mille gratias ago tibi
Voidus — Today at 3:29 PM
Arge, handing a clean handkerchief over as well: Alright, if you're up to it. I'll figure something out with management when I get a moment. Is that... what is that? Something Nalthian? Well, ,if you wouldn't mind taking these two glasses over to that pair at table fift- the table to the side, blonde and a redhead? They've had more drink offers in the last three minutes than i think I've had my entire life. 
ZincAboutIt — Today at 3:33 PM
Lita, waving away a young man from the table: I do appreciate it but I’m out with my friend tonight.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:34 PM
Valeria, wiping her eyes with the offered handkerchief gratefully as she eyes the indicated pair: youth and beauty tends to have that effect, yes. she pauses at the pointed ears of the blond woman and loses track of what she was going to say. She brings the drinks to the table
Voidus — Today at 3:35 PM
Laurelai, rolling her eyes: Mmm, attention is nice but I do wish they'd-
Laurelai, glancing up at the server: Oh, hello.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:35 PM
Valeria: two Elarial estates?
Voidus — Today at 3:36 PM
Laurelai, smiling: One wonders why we actually paid for the bottle. Thank you.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 3:36 PM
Lita: I like to keep my hand in. That other bartender is lovely.
Voidus — Today at 3:37 PM
Laurelai, glancing to the bar: The bartender? Hmm, pretty enough I suppose.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:38 PM
Valeria: Oh, Appologies. You ordered a bottle?
ZincAboutIt — Today at 3:38 PM
Lita, raising an eyebrow at Laurelai: You’ve gotten pickier.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:38 PM
I Can go and get one from the "attractive" other one
Valeria smiles
Voidus — Today at 3:39 PM
Laurelai: Just not my type I suppose. And no, this is fine thank you. Lita brought the bottle already, I assume these are from someone else?
ZincAboutIt — Today at 3:39 PM
Lita looking more closely at Valeria: Yes, likely so.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:40 PM
Valeria blushing faintly: paenitemus.   Can I bring you anything else?
ZincAboutIt — Today at 3:41 PM
Lita, cocking her head: An interesting language… I’ve never heard it here before.
Voidus — Today at 3:42 PM
Laurelai, waving offhandedly: No need to apologize. It looks like a busy night.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:42 PM
Valerias eyes flick from the pointed ear that she is trying too look at closer, to the red and back to the blonde: it's from my home 
Voidus — Today at 3:43 PM
She pauses, frowning at Lita's remark and contemplating a moment.
Laurelai: Mmm, actually what is that? I can't quite recall...
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:43 PM
I haven't heard anyone else who know it
ZincAboutIt — Today at 3:43 PM
Lita: One of the earth variations perhaps?
Voidus — Today at 3:44 PM
Laurelai:  Mmm, perhaps. Likely just a snippet I picked up. Or possibly I just misheard, it is rather noisy in here. Even for those of us not burning tin.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 3:44 PM
Lita, looking a bit smug: Well, it is my job.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:46 PM
Valeria, standing a little dumbfounded: I am not sertain where you might have picked it up. There are very few survivors of where I am from. Have you met any? Perhaps a little girl?
Voidus — Today at 3:47 PM
Laurelai: Nobody I can think of. Forgive me, I'm something of a scholar so I most likely read it somewhere. Perhaps someone else from your homeland wrote it?
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:49 PM
Valeria shakes her head slightly, minding that she knows little of the voidspace and couldn't know if there had been others. She was unsure of if it gave her hope, or fear.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 3:50 PM
Lita: Not many little girls in my line of work, thankfully.
Voidus — Today at 3:50 PM
Laurelai: Just the one I can think of actually. And it is... very unlikely that I heard it from her.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:50 PM
Valeria looked to the red head again: I see.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 3:51 PM
Lita, looking at the tray of glasses, then back to Valeria: Do join us for one of those. Best not to waste Elariel Estate.
Voidus — Today at 3:52 PM
Laurelai: Yes please do. And you seem rather overworked.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 3:55 PM
Valeria, looks back to the bar at Arge, and decides that this was information worth sleeping under the stars under, and she sits down: quaeso, tell me what you know? I was there at the end. My husband, my daughter, me. We were the last alive. she paused with a disgusted look last except perhaps for Voidus. 
ZincAboutIt — Today at 3:57 PM
Lita, giving the tiniest raise of an eyebrow and looking calmly at Laurelai: How tragic. 
She nudges Laurelai’s foot under the table
Voidus — Today at 3:58 PM
Laurelai, schooling herself to impassivity: Yes you have my sympathies. The Dark Alleys are... well they have something of a reputation.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:02 PM
Valeria, with some confusion: the Dark Alleys? I'm afraid I don't know of them. This was in my universe, before the void. His magic like a black maelstrom of destruction. she hangs her head and  circles her finger around the base of the glass. Valeria, in a softer voice: we just wanted to protect her.
Lucien and I
Voidus — Today at 4:03 PM
Laurelai, freezing in place: Lucien?
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:04 PM
Lita, immediately doubling down on the soothing she’d started earlier, trying to tamp down some of Laurelai’s obvious interest: That must have been awful.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:04 PM
Valeria, still somberly distracted, raises her head slightly at the question: yes, my husband Lucien Esserethel.
He was a professor
And a loving father
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:05 PM
Lita: Spilling her glass on purpose
Lita: Goodness me!
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:05 PM
Valeria, starting and beginning to clean it with her bar cloth: oh! 
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:05 PM
Lita: Laurelai, I have just absolutely ruined this dress, do come help me with it won’t you?
Voidus — Today at 4:06 PM
Laurelai, jumping as she is struck by a strange vertigo of forced calm and spiking panic mixed with a splash of fine wine: What- Lita are you alright? Here I can just...
Laurelai, one hand already raised and mind practically audibly whirring: I... yes of course. I'll... come and help you. Do excuse us a moment?
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:07 PM
Valeria: yes, of course, I will refresh your glasses
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:08 PM
Lita: You’re such a dear. Thank you so much.
She pulls Laurelai towards the washroom then ducks them both behind a large velvet curtain
Lita: Look at me. Look at me Laurelai.
Voidus — Today at 4:08 PM
Laurelai, heart thundering in her chest: Lita I... what was... how is... that is not possible. Not even in the Forgery.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:09 PM
Lita: Of course it isn’t possible.
Lita: Let’s think about this the way we would if it was happening to anyone but you. What would you think?
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:09 PM
Valeria is half way through wiping up the table before she pauses in shock at hearing the blonde woman's name
Voidus — Today at 4:11 PM
Laurelai, looking around nervously: I... something from the Forgery probably. Some fractured possibility? Most of the changes are either the ones that were original or the ones in the Forgery though.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:12 PM
Lita: Or… someone trying to get at someone important through you perhaps?
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:13 PM
the hair was right, the ears where right, but the age?
Voidus — Today at 4:14 PM
Laurelai, panic and confusion turning on a dime to anger: Someone trying to... of course yes. Plenty of people knew both of our names. Half the university. Most of the hospital too.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:16 PM
Lita: This is both ridiculously clumsy and incredibly detailed. On the one hand the lost family ploy is terribly overdone. On the other, who possibly knew any detail of our… Founder’s life besides… dammit. The Stranger is dead but we have no bloody clue where Shade went.
Voidus — Today at 4:17 PM
Laurelai: Someone else from within.... the company? A Forger who could read the stamp might have been able to...
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:18 PM
Arge, walking to the almost empty table: ah, I know you're new here, but typically we don't throw drinks on the customers. Not the high paying ones anyway.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:18 PM
Lita, pinching the bridge of her nose: Rusting hells, and I’d just gotten everything sorted. Right, I’ll put someone on it after this meeting I’m supposed to go to.
Voidus — Today at 4:19 PM
Laurelai: What now then? Sneak out? Spring the trap? Play dumb? This is... gods can there not just be one bloody week?
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:20 PM
Valeria, hurrying to pick up the knocked glass: no, of course. Paenitet. I can fix this. Then I'll work the other tables.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:21 PM
Lita, fretting at her lip with her teeth: Of course there can’t. Alright… we go back out. Listen to her story. Get a name - it will be false surely but it’s something. I can figure this out. We can, I mean. But don’t believe her, Laurelai. Don’t get caught up in this. Can you promise?
Voidus — Today at 4:23 PM
Laurelai, hesitating a moment before nodding: Yes yes, I know who I am don't worry. 
She begins muttering a quiet littany of phrases once more, only to pause mid-way through.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:23 PM
Arge heads back behind the bar and Valeria returns with the fresh drinks. 
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:24 PM
Lita, grabbing Laurelai’s arm: Laurelai, tell me the truth. As your friend. Can you do this?
Voidus — Today at 4:26 PM
Laurelai: Yes, yes of course. Lita Attar is... nevermind. Yes I can do this, let me just clean you up first. And I'll need a second to... calm myself.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:26 PM
Lita: Peers at Laurelai for another moment before nodding
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:28 PM
Valeria, looking the way the pair excited, and back at the seat that she was invited to take, utters the will for love, hope, and resolve and draws the glyphs into the spilled wine  before running her finger through the glow and down the crease of her chest.
Voidus — Today at 4:28 PM
Laurelai: Waves a hand at Lita to remove the stain as if it had never been, and then takes a longer moment to concentrate inwards before relaxing all at once into calm composure.
Laurelai, smiling easily: Right. Shall we?
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:29 PM
Lita, also relaxing with a practiced smile: As always.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:32 PM
it was strange to see others openly using magic and "burning" metals, but she still drew a few eyes. Valeria taking a deep breath and standing strait once more, her glyphs glowing in bright green intensity: Inveniatur iterum.
the glyphs pulse and begin to fade
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:33 PM
Lita, blinking at this as they come back around the curtain, whispering: Elantrian?
Voidus — Today at 4:34 PM
Laurelai, stepping back into the room and gliding between people as she makes her way back to the table, whispering in turn to Lita: Not any Aons I recognize. If they were clever they didn't pick anyone from one of the usual Shardworlds. Somewhere less well known.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:35 PM
Lita: Hate it when people are clever.
She moves to the table, smiling easily and sliding back into her seat
Lita: So sorry, I’m not usually so clumsy. Thank you so much for refilling our glasses.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:41 PM
Valeria, starting at the return of the pair at the moment her will fades: oh! Sorry. I was just praying for my daughter. Her name is also Laurelai, and well, you seem confident that there are survivors of my world, so I was praying for her safe return to me. She is 3 years old you see. I have been to all the orphanages I could find,  but none have accepted any babes with her description. It seems pointed ears are a rarety.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:44 PM
Lita, cataloguing this information for future consideration: A prayer, how lovely. Faith can be so comforting in these times.
Voidus — Today at 4:46 PM
Laurelai, stilling her hand before they can so much as twitch in the direction of her own: Yes, indeed. The whole city grieves today, I'm sure many share in your prayers.
Her eyes flicker to Lita's with a moment of confusion. Her own ears were not pointed either in the Forgery or at any earlier point in her life as far as she recalls. A slip up of some kind?
ZincAboutIt — Today at 4:48 PM
Lita: But look at us - we haven’t even introduced ourselves properly. You know Laurelai’s name of course. I’m Lita. And you are…?
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 4:58 PM
Valeria: a tired homeless woman who might have just lost herself a job. I apologise. I am a psychiatrist, not a waiter, and distracted. But the name is Valeria. Dr. Valeria Esserethel.
I came from a world where my husband worked with a man named Voidus, before the man revealed himself to be.. she pauses for the word.  Interitus.
Voidus — Today at 5:00 PM
Laurelai, smiling politely: What a lovely name. It definitely matches you.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 5:00 PM
We were able to send our daughter Laurelai away, though I don't know where to, and I followed begind
Matches me?
I have only had this she indicates her amulet for a few days
Voidus — Today at 5:02 PM
Laurelai, easily covering over the very slight emphasis she placed earlier: It suits you I should say. Apologies. The translations can be a little strange sometimes.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 5:03 PM
Valeria: indeed. It is why I was surprised that you seemed to understand me. No one else here seems to without it.
Is there somewhere else I could look?
I just want to find my little squish
Voidus — Today at 5:04 PM
Laurelai: For a lost blonde girl with pointed ears? Well I would imagine the orphanages. If not there... perhaps one of the guilds took her in. TUBA are nai- are likely the sort.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 5:05 PM
Valeria shakes her head: I have visited most of them. She was not there.
her eyes glaze over as she looks away
ZincAboutIt — Today at 5:06 PM
Lita: You mentioned you were without lodging. Do you need somewhere to stay?
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 5:06 PM
Valeria: Custodire eam in caritate 
Valeria, returning to the conversation: I do
There are only so many nights one can spend under the night sky before their silk shirt is completely ruined.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 5:09 PM
Lita, mind whirring quickly: As it happens, I have a suite I’m currently not using at the Grand Hotel. I assure you, your silk shirts will be in much better repair.
Voidus — Today at 5:09 PM
Laurelai: Might I take a look at it? I'm a Forger. I cannot mend your family but perhaps I can repair a shirt at least.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 5:12 PM
Valeria, taken aback at the kindnesses: I, do not know what to say. I do not know you, for you to offer me a place. But I am afraid I do not have much of the glowing disks, and would probably cause you to be out of pocket. turning to Laurelai you are welcome to try, though I have nothing to wear while you do so. I arrived from the Void space with quite literally nothing but the clothes on my back.
Voidus — Today at 5:13 PM
Laurelai: I can examine it while you wear it if that is alright? I have something of an eye for fabrics.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 5:13 PM
Valeria: oh, well then yes, I can see that.
she moves to stand before Laurelai and cautiously looks into her eyes
sky blue, with veins of silvery ice. Identical.
Valeria takes a sharp breath inward
ZincAboutIt — Today at 5:16 PM
Lita, smiling softly as she watches Laurelai and Valeria, opening her bag and removing a pad of paper and a pen: Please, it is no trouble at all. A mother’s love… so very touching.
She writes down the address, room number and a few other things on the pad of paper, all the while twirling her pen between written lines, sending an Alleycant to several people on call to sweep her rooms of anything valuable or secret and prepare it for someone unknown
Voidus — Today at 5:17 PM
Laurelai: I'll just need a few implements as well, nothing to worry about.
She draws out a small carving knife from a pocket along with a piece of Soulstone. The knife almost immediately seeming to absently twirl as she looks over the shirt.
Laurelai, in Alleycant: Matches the name from the Forgery. 
ZincAboutIt — Today at 5:19 PM
Lita, responding in kind: Someone has done their homework
Voidus — Today at 5:20 PM
Laurelai, fingers twirling: Why the ears though? It seems a strange thing to be making up on the spot.
Laurelai, aloud: It's a lovely fabric. From your world?
ZincAboutIt — Today at 5:22 PM
Lita: Perhaps she panicked? Wanted to link up the stories? You have pointed ears now, so you must have then? 
Voidus — Today at 5:24 PM
Laurelai: Someone who only knew me in the Forgery perhaps? Didn't know about my... mishaps.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 5:31 PM
Valeria, still taking in Laurelais eyes: why yes. It was a popular designer who made it for me. It is, was, much hotter than here. I'm afraid it must smell just awful. I wish I had my soaps and perfumes, not to mention a decent brush. she points to her tangled hair if it weren't for my promise clip I would look some sort of  crazed maniac.
Valeria, tilting her head to the side to show the silver engraved clasp that struggled to hold the golden curls in place: at least I still have something to remember him by
Voidus — Today at 5:35 PM
Laurelai, frowning as she continues to look the fabric over: Well I can try to help clean you up at the same time. It may not last forever but at least long enough for you to have a proper shower or a bath. Lita's suite is quite lovely. Does this have a tag somewhere?
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 5:37 PM
Valeria, nodding: on the collar I should think.
Voidus — Today at 5:38 PM
Laurelai, leaning forward and reaching for the collar: Not common on all the worlds you understand but this should... hmm.
She releases the fabric, frown only deepening further.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 5:39 PM
Valeria follows the moment of Laurelais arm as she works, still suspicious of some grift, when a small wrinkle at the corner of her the blonde womans frown leaves Valerias own mouth dry at the similarity of her husbands. 
Valeria, taking her first sip from a glass at the table: it was considered fine, but not altogether rare. I suppose it could be, but I received it as a gift.
Voidus — Today at 5:42 PM
Laurelai, clearing her throat: I... apologize this perhaps won't last very long. I'm afraid I don't really know much about that fabric or designed. To be expected I suppose, if you're from... if they no longer exist. Still, this should hold for a little while at least.
She begins to make a token effort at carving a stamp, fingers moving with speed and precision as they move in familiar lines to the patterns of light that appear behind her eyes at times.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 5:46 PM
Valeria: I don't know how I will be able to repay you.
Voidus — Today at 5:48 PM
Laurelai, barely glancing up as she carves: Nonsense. Just a few minutes work.
She blows a little dust from the surface before examining it again and giving a nod of satisfaction.
Laurelai: There's quite a bit of guesswork here but it should put everything back together for a few days. Had to rely on assumed history so it should be whatever soaps and perfumes you usually use, i hope that is alright. May I have your hand?
ZincAboutIt — Today at 5:52 PM
Lita: tensing as Laurelai asks this, waiting to spring if it’s some trap.
Lita, signing again in Alleycant: Ive been watching her this whole time. The sincerity is incredibly well done. I think someone may have convinced this woman she is actually your mother. Forgery, memory alteration. All too believable in our line of work. 
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 5:59 PM
Valeria, cautiously raises her hand to the woman before her: of course. It will be refreshing for something to be normal, even if I do not understand how it is made to be so.
Voidus — Today at 6:05 PM
Laurelai, applying the stamp and giving a quick twist as she pushes it into the back of her hand: Immediately her clothes are freshly laundered and pressed, as undamaged as if bought new. He skin gives off a healthy glow and a faintly floral scent.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 6:07 PM
Valeria, grinning: Deos Superos! That is marvelous! How did you do that?
Voidus — Today at 6:09 PM
Arge, approaching the table with a tired smile: Enjoying yourselves? Well, I'm glad you seem to have found someone dear, don't worry about the other tables tonight. If you still want some work we can speak tomorrow.
She replaces the candles at their table as she leaves, relighting the wicks and giving a lingering smile to Lita.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 6:11 PM
Lita, winking almost by habit: Thank you.
Voidus — Today at 6:12 PM
Laurelai: Forging? Oh, a little innate talent and a lot of study. I-
She breaks off, nose wrinkling for a moment as the new candle-smoke hits her before taking a deeper breath.
Laurelai: What is that...
She thinks to herself a moment longer before her eyes suddenly widen. In an instant the club is gone and all she can see are the flames of the candle, within a figure seems to stand, hands reaching as he screams before crumbling to ash. The scent of rose-infused soap sears into her nose, the smoke burns her eyes and someone else screams and calls her a monster.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 6:15 PM
Lita, immediately pulling her backwards away from the table, then looking at her: Laurelai? Are you alright, are you hurt?
Voidus — Today at 6:17 PM
Laurelai, gaze fixed at the table as her knuckles grow white around the stamp in her hand, whispering more to herself than in actual reply: I... didn't mean it. Gods I'm... so sorry.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 6:20 PM
Lita, actually concerned now: We should go. Just… sit down here alright?
Voidus — Today at 6:22 PM
Laurelai, giving a shake of her head as her gaze clears though still looking shaken: I... sorry. I think I may be a little ill.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 6:22 PM
Valeria, immediately dropping her smile and bringing he other hand to the woman's arm, as if to catch her: What is it? Are you alright? Have some water. Do what dear, only did as  I asked? looks between her newly laundered clothing and the red head Does this usually happen?
Valeria, patting the arm: yes of course, but your girlfriend will take care of you, won't you?
looking to the red head again
ZincAboutIt — Today at 6:25 PM
Lita, surprise warring with irritation at Valeria, causing Lita to just look rather blank: I - yes I will take care of her. We should really be off, but here’s the address for the suite. And the key.
She hands Valeria a gold, old style key 
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 6:28 PM
Valeria, oblivious to her overstepping has her face marked with worry as she pockets the key: Gratias Tibi. She is lucky you were here. I will see you again.
Voidus — Today at 6:29 PM
Laurelai, face ashen as she stares at Valeria: Yes I... I'm sure that we will. I do hope I haven't ruined your night, I'm not sure what came over me.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 6:31 PM
Valeria, giving one last reassuring squeeze of the woman's arms: not at all. You have given me hope. Of all these gifts you have offered, that is the greatest. Bene.
ZincAboutIt — Today at 6:31 PM
Lita, pulling Laurelai up and supporting her a bit: It was lovely to meet you, Valeria. We will, indeed, be seeing you again.
Mrs.Voidus — Today at 6:33 PM
she releases and stands tall, waiting for the pair to leave before she finished the night's work. She might have a place to sleep, she thought, but she would still need food and gifts and toys. Working was the way. And though she did not know if these women were a coincidental meeting or not, the lingering fear of Voidus the Destroyer of Worlds hung in the back of her mind. If he could blink someone from existence with a look, could he bring someone back?

On 1/2/2023 at 10:31 AM, Grey Knight said:

"Manufacturing?" He took a sip of the cider, wincing at the flavor. "I didn't realize you had an industrial base to work off of. That... changes the calculations."

He closed his eyes and concentrated, disguising the motion by taking a long swig out of the cider. The woman's mind was guarded. There was almost no feeling emanating from it. He thought she was telling the truth, but couldn't be sure.

"We'll want to establish contact with the bands of looters, I assume?" He winced at the terrible aftertaste of the cider. "If we can get them to hand over a cut of their spoils, it should help with the finances. The ones that refuse will have to be liquidated, of course, as well as any that are too brutal in their methods. We want to control the crime scene, not let it run wild."

Tena frowned. "We eliminate them. This is too fragile a time to allow looting of any sort. No doubt some of them are as confused as the rest of us, but others are simply greedy, and they will be dealt with. I have seen too much of rampant crime in my time, I know it is bad for everyone."

Of course, she couldn't eliminate crime-- she knew that very well-- but she'd try to limit it. She was well-versed in navigating criminal society, so at least infiltration wouldn't be difficult. She knew enough of the various cosmere magics that she doubted people could use them to hide from her, at least not well. But could she herself do that work? Was she too high-profile and recognizable now? Perhaps. Still, she didn't know if she had any employees as skilled as she.

Lita, the Alleys

The air outside the bar was cool and brisk, chilled further with a swift breeze. Lita took a single deep breath, relishing the clean smell of cold stone that characterized most of the streets in this part of Mistkeep. Laurelai wavered by her side, one arm thrown around Lita’s shoulders as Lita supported her waist. A light burn of pewter turned this into an easy task, despite Laurelai being over half a foot taller. Lita took one last look behind her as the door to Hathsin closed, then pulled the pair of them into the nearest alleyway, disappearing into the shadows.

She moved on instinct, her attention focused first on getting Laurelai somewhere safe, making sure she was alright. The rest of the details of the afternoon - the chance meeting, Valeria’s strange magic, giving Valeria the key to her suite - spun in the background. She would attend to them later; there would be much to do. People to put on discovering Valeria’s background, surveilling the suite to see who she was in contact with, probably meeting with the woman again in the guise of trying to help her. And then, Lita shivered, she would almost certainly have to present those findings to Laurelai’s father.

Wonderful, she thought ruefully. Just what I need. More demigods. 

Her hopes of passing largely unnoticed by the head of the Dark Alley seemed rather doomed at this point, between asking about opening her own club and now this. Those would be two separate conversations - Lita needed to be absolutely certain of what Valeria was before she alerted someone capable of leveling a city. Easy job first. Harder one second.

”Seems I keep dragging you through Alleys these days,” Lita said aloud, more to break the slightly-oppressive silence of their current Alley than any real desire to talk.

Laurelai’s face had turned slightly less ashen, her steps a bit more sure the further they Alleytravelled from the city. Lita weaved one more pathway and they appeared in the hallway outside her own rooms. The sight of her little blue door seemed extra comforting today - something she knew. Something she could count on. 

Lita propped Laurelai against the Alley wall as she unlocked her door, then gently shepherded her inside.

”Sit,” Lita said, pointing to the little table in the front room. “I’ll put on some tea.”

@Voidus

SeKaan, SeKaan's safehouse, the Bindpoint 

SeKaan gave little reaction to the physical outburst of the Inquisitor, despite the fact that it involved punching a hole clean through their safehouse wall. But this place was already barely livable, there were plenty of gaps and leaks, plenty of places to eavesdrop on neighbours. Though usually SeKaan was doing the eavesdropping.

"It seems your experience with Harmony has been even less palatable than my own." They said, though not elaborating any further. "Well you can be assured at the least that I have no direct motive to either bring you back or change your habits. You may leave whenever you wish, but if you wish to stay there is more space here than I need just for myself. It's not all that comfortable but it is a roof, while waiting to build up something more reliable."

Their attention flickered for a moment to the other Kandra, regarding them with curiosity and no small amount of pity. To not even be able to fulfill a Kandra's most basic functions of mimicry, how could one live such a life? They wondered if perhaps the other Kandra had the same Blessing as them, to at least be able to see and feel the world around them as others could not, to pull secrets from scraps that others thought meant nothing.

Would that be better or worse? SeKaan wondered.

"And you as well." They said aloud. "Both of you are welcome to what you wish from this place. I will need to leave shortly to... attend to business in the city. But I can try to provide a little further assistance if needed. We are after all, all family of a sort. Bound by blood, if not in the same manner that most are."

Voidus, the Cauldron

"You’re perfect, Nox. I trust you.”

Were there any sweeter sounds that had been uttered in all of his years of life? Voidus doubted it. The unexpectedly reassuring words seemed to cut right to his core, soothing age old doubts that he'd barely even recognized. Many people trusted Voidus, or at least he assumed they did. They trusted him to run the Alleys, to keep the world stable, to know the answers, to have power. He was trusted to protect, destroy, teach and study. 

But when had anyone ever said the words? Let alone with such sincerity, such appreciation. When Vivica spoke he was transported again to that moment of shared awareness, the instant when she had laid every corner of her mind bare to him. A refreshing openness that could never provoke any doubts. She did trust him, and she did think he was perfect. Truly and without any influence or manipulation or any hope to receive power or favour. She would think exactly the same if he declined her request or fulfilled it.

"Thank you." He said simply, voice steady and unwavering.

He hoped she could hear some echo of the same sincerity from the simple words. When he thanked her it was no mere pleasantry, it was a genuine thanks. From the core of his being he was grateful to her, for her words and her very self.

The rest of the world faded from awareness, the street may as well have been empty for all the care he gave to those around them now. He looked only at her, focusing on the side of her face, the long healed scars and the missing ear. Too long healed now for her to easily believe that it was anything but her normal state of being. There were numerous ways to resolve that problem however.

Forgery would be easiest, but as had been proven all to recently she was strangely resistant to that, it would not last long enough for her Identity to restabilize. Feruchemy would be the next easiest, storing and retrieving carefully prepared identities. But that would take too long to prepare. What he needed was something precise, something that did not rely so heavily on Identity when determining how to heal.

Voidus raised a hand, one long index finger extended out and moving suddenly forward to stab at the air. Dimly he was aware from the reflection in Vivica's eyes that his hair had become more silver than blonde, and faintly luminous. But that information was blocked out along with the gasps of others passing them by as he began to draw. Aon Ien formed the center, though in a matter of moments it was so heavily modified as to be unrecognizable. Specifics were needed here, not just what to heal but how, the entire form of it had to be dictated through Aonic formula with none at all left to interpretation. It was one of the longer sequences that one might need to write, but compared to the enormous sequence that enclosed the worldspike it was trivial.

Perhaps a minute later he lowered his hand, now glowing so brightly it was difficult to look directly at, and willed the formula to completion. It sank happily into Vivica's skin, illuminating her momentarily with a matching glow as time seemed to reverse itself. Skin pushed out scar tissue, cartilage reformed below that into a shape the mirror of her other ear. In seconds it pushed itself out from her head, form complete and skin flawless once again.

"Is it alright?" He asked, a slight hint of concern in his voice. "Any issues?"

Laurelai, Lita's apartment, the Alleys

Laurelai gave one last parting glance to Valeria as Lita towed her from club. The woman had blonde hair, it didn't hang as straight as Laurelai's but was it familiar in some way? The lingering adrenaline and fear from her sudden recollection hindered her thoughts, wanting to speed along when she needed instead to simply take a moment to think. But before she could do so they were out in the open air once again.

She was about to turn to speak to Lita when the redhead continued immediately into an Alley. Laurelai rolled her eyes slightly at her friends protectiveness but followed along meekly enough until at last the two were greeted by a familiar blue door. Lita helped her to lean against the wall as she unlocked and opened the door, something Laurelai was just about to chide her on when one of her knees buckled for a moment beneath her weight, the wall the only thing that kept her from tumbling to the ground in an unsightly manner.

”Sit,” Lita said, pointing to the little table in the front room. “I’ll put on some tea.”

Laurelai's nod held a hint of resignation to it as she reluctantly moved towards the offered seat, thankfully not needing to brace herself again during the motion, and took a seated position with a straight back and as much lingering dignity as she could manage while still being very clearly fussed over.

"I am fine now." She said a little stiffly. "Just a momentary lapse, it barely ever happens anymore."

For the briefest of moments the scent returned to her, smoke and floral soap intertwined and then followed immediately by ash and burned flesh. She pushed the memory back into a distant corner of her mind, suppressing a traitorous shiver before it worried Lita anymore than she already had.

Foolish Laurelai. Tried to make the evening better and you only made it worse. But then that's just the usual isn't it?

She shoved that voice into the same distant corner of the memory, focusing her attention purely on the here and now as Lita began setting a kettle to boil. Her eye was drawn quickly to the dress that the redhead wore, and which Laurelai immediately welcomed as a perfect distraction. Her fingers twitched in reflexive desire to touch the teal fabric, a near impulsive desire for her whenever seeing velvet.

@ZincAboutIt

On 1/10/2023 at 0:10 PM, Sherlock Holmes said:

Tena frowned. "We eliminate them. This is too fragile a time to allow looting of any sort. No doubt some of them are as confused as the rest of us, but others are simply greedy, and they will be dealt with. I have seen too much of rampant crime in my time, I know it is bad for everyone."

Of course, she couldn't eliminate crime-- she knew that very well-- but she'd try to limit it. She was well-versed in navigating criminal society, so at least infiltration wouldn't be difficult. She knew enough of the various cosmere magics that she doubted people could use them to hide from her, at least not well. But could she herself do that work? Was she too high-profile and recognizable now? Perhaps. Still, she didn't know if she had any employees as skilled as she.

"That's unfortunate for your finances," Rik muttered. "But I cannot fault your logic. Are we to deal with the looters violently, then? Liquidating them and seizing a portion of their assets, while publicly returning the rest, would be a boon to our public relations as well."

He took another sip of the cider and shuddered. The flavors were a terrible mix of too strong and too weak, and its aftertaste was revolting. "Of course," he said roughly,  "perhaps that would draw too many eyes to your organization. I'm open to other suggestions. I would also like to hear more about this manufacturing base you've so cleverly hidden from outside forces."

@Sherlock Holmes

Lita, Lita’s Apartment, the Alleys

"I am fine now. Just a momentary lapse, it barely ever happens anymore."

Lita looked up from her ministrations at the kitchen counter, green eyes searching Laurelai’s face as she allowed her own to show some of her concern. Now that they were back in familiar environs, Lita felt safer, more comfortable. More honest - though some of that ease between them was gone. It had never returned after the Forgery.

”Well then,” Lita said, pouring the boiling water into two mugs and bringing them over to the table. “That’s me reassured. Only a slight chance you’ll go collapsing in random bars? Not a problem. Drink your tea and be off.”

She set Laurelai’s mug before her as if to punctuate her point, giving the blonde a wry smile to confirm she was teasing. The motion was habitual, instinctive, but felt slightly wrong now. It was an expression reserved for only the closest of friends, but was Laurelai still her friend? 

For my part, Lita thought, bringing her own mug to her lips and sipping at the piping hot liquid, storing the excess heat with barely a thought. As far as Lita was concerned, they were still friends. But after what Laurelai had done tonight, Forging herself in order to tolerate an evening out with Lita… Well, perhaps her presence did more harm than good now.

“You’ll want to let that cool a bit,” Lita said offhandedly, pointing to Laurelai’s tea. “Unless you want your tongue scalded off.”

@Voidus

"Not a problem. Drink your tea and be off.”

Laurelai flinched, though there was no harsh edge to the words. But in their wake it felt as if she heard a dozen echoes. Voices masculine and feminine repeating the phrase with a far more bitter, even angry and hateful tone. Quickly she tried to tamp them down again, shifting herself a little to hide her immediate defensive reaction.

She didn't mean it. Not like that. Just a joke. She reminded herself with a voice that never quite seemed absolutely certain.

"I apologize for pulling you out of there so early." She said aloud, speaking more to distract herself than anything. "That bartender seemed quite enamoured of you, a shame really I'd rather thought I caught her eye myself."

She tried once more to force a smile, it came with more difficulty than usual, shaking for a moment as she pulled it into position and covered it with her usual collected poise. She had spent years practicing this, why was it so hard just to smile at a friend now? Absently under her breath she hummed a few notes, an old song that always helped to calm her.

@ZincAboutIt

Laurelai, Mistkeep 17 years ago

"I said be off with you!" A low voice growled, pushing a suitcase roughly into Laurelai's arms.

Laurelai stumbled back a step, catching her foot on the lip of the doorway and falling onto her back on the sodden cobblestones of Goldstreet. She clutched at the suitcase, her small arms trembling as they held it close, trying to gain some sense of security from them. Watery blue eyes looked up to regard Mister Vennit, looming over her from the shadow of his house. Behind him stood his wife, grey eyes wide and terrified as she looked down at the bedraggled young girl.

"I- I'm sorry." Laurelai said, looking down at the rivulets of water streaming through the cracks in the stone, unable to meet either of their eyes any longer. "Sorry, I didn't mean to. It just happens. Please don't- please father can-"

"No." The low voice interrupted, she saw the booted foot of the owner step closer in menacing fashion. "No I can't. And I am not your father girl. Be off, away from here. And if I ever see you near our son again..."

His other foot joined the first, and his shadow now encompassed Laurelai's balled up form. Once again without looking up she nodded, tears beginning to flow to join the droplets of rain in trails down her cheek. For just a moment she stayed, eyes drifting into the house where her adopted brother was now laid out, covered in bandages. She wanted to apologize, to wait for him to wake up so that she could explain...

Another growl from the man standing over her scattered those thoughts and set her to scampering back, arms still clutched around the case that held all of her possessions. With a final nod, a muttered apology and a terrified squeak, Laurelai fled from the Vennit's house. She ran until she found a dry section of street between two buildings, it was darker there but she wouldn't even have noticed had there been light, her face was pressed into the blue fabric of her Havah as she wept. Slowly, after some minutes, she calmed enough to start humming to herself. It was a song she had been taught by her first friend, a lullaby Laurelai thought, though she wasn't sure of the words.

Lita, Lita's apartment, the Alleys

Laurelai flinched as Lita set down the tea and smiled at her. She actually flinched. Lita bit her tongue in order to still her expression, reigning in her own reaction to such a whip sting on her psyche. Things might be a bit awkward between them, as could be expected after spending weeks in quite a... different sort of relationship. But Lita had hardly been cruel to her, even when they were barely acquaintances. What was so threatening about her, sitting here offering tea after having halfway-carried Laurelai back into the familiar maze of the Alleys? Was Lita so intolerable that Laurelai couldn't even hide her disgust?

"I apologize for pulling you out of there so early." Laurelai's voice sounded easy, calm. The sort of tone she practiced often and gave to strangers. "That bartender seemed quite enamoured of you, a shame really I'd rather thought I caught her eye myself."

"Oh?" Lita sat opposite the woman she had bargained an unnamed favor for and sipped her tea, barely tasting it. "And here I recall you saying she wasn't your type."

She tapped one nail against the tabletop, wine-red lacquer catching the light from the kitchen. Wine... She itched to pour a cup. Two cups. Thinking about the Chapel always brought her back to Whisper's cryptic prophecies. Everything had come to pass, everything except that one bit. Her skill pouring wine in Elendel... how was that rusting relevant? Aside from the fact that she seemed to be drinking an embarrassing amount of wine lately. Lita's eyes flicked upwards, trying to read Laurelai's often-inscrutable expression. This time, her smile came off shallow, weak. It was almost insulting that she'd attempt it at all.

More wine for me this evening, then.

"I may go back later," Lita said aloud, confusion and irritation building within her. "Give my regards. Ask about the... woman we met."

Valeria was a wild variable. Lita clung to the hope that the experience in the bar had simply unsettled Laurelai into discomfort. Perhaps it had nothing to do with Lita at all. Perhaps she was just imagining things on too much tin and too little sleep.

And earlier? Her mind whispered, voice insidious and smooth. Always, it murmured her most poisonous thoughts in his voice, the one she most desperately wanted to forget. From the moment she arrived, she was uneasy around you. She had yet to meet Valeria when she Forged herself into a version capable of enduring your company.

Lita closed her eyes against that voice, taking another mouthful of tea and allowing the heat to burn her mouth. The pain was a pleasant distraction, clean and hot. Nothing like the lingering hollow chill in her heart.

@Voidus

Edited by ZincAboutIt
formatting

"And here I recall you saying she wasn't your type." Lita said, sipping her tea.

Doubly foolish Laurelai, not keeping track of the changes. She mentally chided.

She exerted all her years of training and willpower to avoid wincing this time at least. The effect was ruined when she sipped her tea and winced at the temperature of it instead, scalding lips still pale from the cold outside. But at least it bought her a moment to think before replying.

A moment later she regretted that decision immediately when Lita continued to speak, seeming to comment offhandedly but Laurelai did not miss the biting edge of irritation to her tone, the slight frown that could have meant any of a few things, though none of them good.

Again she seemed to hear voices overlapping, all speaking different words but with that same tone. Patience nearing its end, frustration and annoyance bubbling slowly into anger that would eventually lead into hatred, scorn, and then finally... finally they left. Sent her away or left themselves. Until she was alone on the streets once again, just as she had been her first night in this city when fires raged around her.

No, Lita wouldn't leave. The voice spoke up again, quieter, lacking its usual bite and confidence. Lita Attar is my friend. She.... she wouldn't. Would she?

"I'm sorry." Laurelai whispered, more out of instinct than understanding.

Practice and training abandoned her as her posture crumpled, the hand that wasn't holding a cup wrapped protectively around her and her shoulders slumped. Her head bowed, hair drawing in to an uncharacteristically unappealing curtain over her face. A slight tremor ran through her body, one she didn't even bother trying to hide anymore.

@ZincAboutIt

Lita, Lita’s apartment, the Alleys

”I’m sorry.”

Laurelai whispered the words as she folded inwards, one arm wrapping around herself protectively, pale face disappearing behind a curtain of silver blonde hair. The transformation was so sudden that Lita just sat and watched Laurelai tremble for a moment, expecting herself to jump to her feet, to check on Laurelai, to feel that familiar anxiety over her friend.

Instead, Lita felt angry.

Here she was again, watching Laurelai fall apart. Even through her rising temper, Lita felt the compulsion to reach for Laurelai, to pull her out of trouble. It made her even angrier. Always used, it seemed, but never properly. Never the way she wanted. 

“Sorry for what?”

Lita’s palm slammed down onto the tabletop, the sound barely registering as she stood. Seven days of repressed overwhelm, of ignored rage and hollow grief, bubbled to the surface. She felt blood race to her cheeks and a flush spread down her neck, Tin letting her feel the heat even more acutely. 

“What is it you have to be sorry for? After all, aren’t I the problem? Every time I see you, it’s like you can’t bear to get near me. You flinch when I touch you, you twitch when I say your name. You can barely spend an hour in my company before you have to change yourself into someone else. At first I thought you might still…”

Lita hesitated for a moment, recalling the few moments that afternoon when Laurelai’s blue eyes smoldered hot and needy, an echo of that day in the Forgery. She shook her head, banished the thought.

”Nevermind. You don’t have to stay here - you’re free to go. You don’t have to force yourself to spend time with me. I’m not so fragile that you have to lie to me. Especially when you’re doing such a damn terrible job. Just - “

Lita sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. “Just tell me what you want!”

@Voidus

“Sorry for what?” Lita asked, voice rising.

The words had barely penetrated Laurelai's awareness when a sudden slamming sound caused her to jump in her seat, bringing her eyes up to meet the bright green's of Lita's. The very angry green eyes of Lita.

“What is it you have to be sorry for? After all, aren’t I the problem?" The redhead asked, a bitter edge of hurt to her anger.

Laurelai stared at her friend, each angry word lashing out and causing her to flinch anew. A large part of her, hurt and confused, wanted to yell back. To ask Lita what in Damnation's name she was talking about. How she could possibly think that she was the problem. A much smaller part, a lingering analytical voice that had avoided spiraling into self destruction enough to actually pay attention to her friend, noted Lita's flush, her firm gaze and angry tone. But also the slight catch in her voice, the subtle darkness under her eyes, and the faintest reddening of the lids.

“Just tell me what you want!” Lita finished, patience clearly at an end.

"Lita..." Laurelai began, having to start a few times as her own voice caught. "You... you actually think that I, what? That I hated you? Gods how could you possibly..."

Laurelai stared in utter disbelief, she set her cup on the table and used her sleeve to wipe the lingering tears in her eyes. Trying to understand how Lita could have possibly thought that she'd done something wrong. But then... based on what Lita had seen, the shying away, refusing to meet her eyes, what else was she to think? What had Laurelai expected her to do? Certainly she couldn't have dreamed that all of it would fly beneath Lita's notice. Domi the woman was a Tineye! And a particularly observent one at that.

Her arm was still wrapped about her midsection but Laurelai's trembling faded as she looked at her friend. Really looked for the first time in.... a Week? Months? She saw first the obvious, the anger and hurt, the stress and frustation. Looking past that, and managing blessedly to look past the superficial as well for a moment, Laurelai saw a friend who had been through the same nightmarish experience as the rest of the city. Only Lita had been closer to its architect than perhaps anyone other than Laurelai's father, and she had been denied the satisfying conclusion that Voidus had managed to obtain. And then, at its conclusion she had not been able to be relieved at its end, no she had needed to support Laurelai herself struggling through the confusion of not sharing the same memories as anyone else.

"You've been crying." Laurelai noted, her own hurt vanishing til it seemed a distant thing barely worth notice. "Before now. Before anything that's happened tonight. Is that... have I... upset you? Or is it... Him?"

@ZincAboutIt

On 1/18/2023 at 2:18 PM, Grey Knight said:

"That's unfortunate for your finances," Rik muttered. "But I cannot fault your logic. Are we to deal with the looters violently, then? Liquidating them and seizing a portion of their assets, while publicly returning the rest, would be a boon to our public relations as well."

He took another sip of the cider and shuddered. The flavors were a terrible mix of too strong and too weak, and its aftertaste was revolting. "Of course," he said roughly,  "perhaps that would draw too many eyes to your organization. I'm open to other suggestions. I would also like to hear more about this manufacturing base you've so cleverly hidden from outside forces."

"Hidden?" Tena asked, cocking her head. "You must be new. We manufacture a lot of the palm oil-based products sold here in the Alleycity, since the climate near Oasis City is right for growing palm trees. We don't keep that a secret, though it's not the Ghostbloods specifically that manufacture it. There's a couple companies in Oasis City that do it, they just all run under our regulations and pay taxes to us." She shrugged. "It's nothing special. I'm sure a lot of the other guilds do this sort of thing. I don't know much of what TUBA's up to these days, but in my day, we made a lot of the baked goods sold in the city. Money doesn't come from nowhere, after all."

She leaned back in her seat and cocked her head at Rik. "You speak boldly in public. If someone were listening in on us and I was to say: 'Why, of course we'll illegally seize stolen assets', that would not serve us well. Instead, save your suggestions for a more private place. I appreciate that you speak your mind, though."

Lita, Lita’s apartment, the Alleys

You... you actually think that I, what? That I hated you? Gods how could you possibly..."

The shocked look on Laurelai’s face, the wounded sorrow, was enough to make Lita stop for just a moment and catch her breath again.

Laurelai wiped a hand across her eyes, smearing perfectly-applied makeup under her lower lids. The startling crystalline blue of those eyes seemed even brighter against the smudged kohl and shadow as Lita stared into them. She truly was surprised - utterly blindsided by Lita’s anger. 

The realization that Laurelai was telling the truth, at least in this, calmed her a bit more. But that calm quickly gave way to renewed confusion. If Laurelai wasn’t repelled by Lita, what in the hell was going on with her?

You've been crying." Laurelai spoke suddenly, breaking the moment of intense eye contact and observation. "Before now. Before anything that's happened tonight. Is that... have I….upset you? Or is it... Him?"

The very mention of “Him” sent Lita’s blood pressure back towards the ceiling. Her eyes narrowed again, and she bit her tongue to keep from giving a dismissive, biting reply. It felt like a stalling tactic, and Lita was both irritated and impressed with Laurelai’s ability to sway a conversation her way, even when she was so out of sorts. But then, this could also be an opportunity. 

Lita recalled a similar bid for honesty in the ruins of a tavern, two jaded young women sharing wine amidst the end of the world. That night had not been an end but a beginning - the first time Lita had truly felt as though she might have made a friend. Could it happen again, here? A different table, a different drink, but the same two women. 

Mostly the same.

”I -“ Lita opened her mouth and was arrested by the taste of something hot and metallic hitting her tongue. She sputtered, looking down at her hand still splayed on the table, and recoiled at the sight of blood. 

Her other hand flew to her face, fingers fruitlessly trying to stem the steady stream of blood pouring from her nose. “Gods damn it -“

She tilted back her head and lurched into the kitchen, snatching a towel off the counter and holding it to her face, peering over the folds of cloth at Laurelai as though daring the blonde to say something.

@Voidus

Laurelai tried to wait patiently, tried not to read too much into the rapidly shifting facial expression. She forged her cup of tea to a cooler temperature and took a sip as Lita collected herself before finally beginning to speak, or... started to at least only to quickly stop as she raised a hand that Laurelai could now see was spattered with blood. How had she missed that? Had Lita been hurt somehow?

"Gods damn it." Lita cursed, pinching her nose and lurching to the kitchen.

Laurelai, followed her motion at first, rising in confusion and concern only for her eyes to widen, staring back down at the cup she had just Forged. It.... it couldn't have been could it? It had been so long, years since anybody had fallen prey to any injuries from her bane. Laurelai had spent so long learning to constrict its effects, bend them in safer directions. But had she been properly paying attention just now? Or had she been distracted.

She met Lita's gaze, staring angrily at her from the kitchen as the redhead held a towel to her face to stem the flow. It took only a moment for Laurelai to break eye contact, looking down once again.

"Sorry." She repeated, blessedly clearer this time and without breaking down into tears. But Rusts how her stomach twisted about on itself like it was determined to strangle her from the inside. "I... think that may have... I didn't mean to, you know how it is. It just happens."

How many times have we said those words. The little voice chimed in. 'It just happens' when has that ever helped Laurelai? Even if she forgives you this time there will be a next time. You know there will be, there always is. Anybody we get close to.

She set her cup back down with a shaky hand, then quickly pulled the limb back towards her to still it tightly in the grasp of her other hand.

@ZincAboutIt

On 2/1/2023 at 8:16 PM, Sherlock Holmes said:

She leaned back in her seat and cocked her head at Rik. "You speak boldly in public. If someone were listening in on us and I was to say: 'Why, of course we'll illegally seize stolen assets', that would not serve us well. Instead, save your suggestions for a more private place. I appreciate that you speak your mind, though."

Rik choked on his cider.

It only took a moment's thought to extract the liquid from his throat and deposit it back into the cup. It was lucky that he could use his powers so unconsciously, because right now he was overwhelmed with sheer, bloody-minded panic.

"This place isn't safe?!" He coughed, trying to clear his throat. "Calamity, woman! When you took us to this store, I assumed you owned everyone in here. Not that we were talking business in a dangerous, unsecured location!"

@Sherlock Holmes

1 hour ago, Grey Knight said:

Rik choked on his cider.

It only took a moment's thought to extract the liquid from his throat and deposit it back into the cup. It was lucky that he could use his powers so unconsciously, because right now he was overwhelmed with sheer, bloody-minded panic.

"This place isn't safe?!" He coughed, trying to clear his throat. "Calamity, woman! When you took us to this store, I assumed you owned everyone in here. Not that we were talking business in a dangerous, unsecured location!"

Tena rolled her eyes. "You wanted to go to a bar, didn't you? I don't own any bars around here. Stop complaining, if you want to have a more explicit conversation, we can go elsewhere." She started to get to her feet, cocking her head at the strange, small man. "I am not one for implications. I will probably tell you if I, as you say, 'own' where we are. The barman already knows not to ask for my money here, though."

On 2/6/2023 at 3:10 PM, Sherlock Holmes said:

Tena rolled her eyes. "You wanted to go to a bar, didn't you? I don't own any bars around here. Stop complaining, if you want to have a more explicit conversation, we can go elsewhere." She started to get to her feet, cocking her head at the strange, small man. "I am not one for implications. I will probably tell you if I, as you say, 'own' where we are. The barman already knows not to ask for my money here, though."

Rik's eye twitched. He glanced around, only now noticing the number of people in the bar. How many of them had overheard their conversation? How many of them would he have to kill? Calamity, this place could turn into a bloodbath on barely a moment's notice.

No. He took a shuddering breath and forced back the darkness. It didn't work, not really, but it kept his panic confined to shaky hands and beading sweat on his brow. He could function with that.

"Of course, Tena," he said flatly. "I will defer to your judgement in this matter. If it is acceptable to you, I would like to get started on the work. Where do we go to from here?"

@Sherlock Holmes