Rings of power theories (spoilers for first 2 episodes)

SpinningSky

Hi everyone!

So after watching Rings of Power I had a couple of ideas, not even theories as I think there isn't much to "hardcore theorize" on since we don't know how canonic the whole thing will be. 
I'd like to share them to see what you all think.

1) this one I'm feeling quite confident about: Theo is gonna be the Mouth of Sauron

Many people are talking about him being a nazgul, which I think just doesn't make sense, the only way it works is if his father is somehow royal blood and he becomes one of the kings, but even then I'm expecting the corruption to come from the rings themselves, not some blade.
I do think it'll make for a good story if he actually ends up being Sauron's minion, and the mouth of Sauron is canonically supposed to be a corrupted human (dark numenorean), it seems to me like it's clearly going in that direction, with the whole think about elves saying the humans of those lands are particularly corrupt. 
The fact that it's not that talked about makes me think that maybe the charachter is not as well known as I thought, which might even make it a twist for some people, which convices me even more.

2) this is the more fun one, which I'd like to belive: the meteor man is going to be "the", or "a", Balrog

I'm aware that this does not canonically work, as Barlogs are supposed to be already on middle-earth, not falling from the sky, and Durin's bane is supposed to have hidden under the mountain after the defeat of Morgoth, then again I think canon will have to be respectfully bent for the series to be good.

I'm starting from the assumption that he's going to be an evil character, due to the forshadowing given by Galadriel about "evil air making flames not burn", which is what happens with his flames. 
Any of the 5 standard sorcerers don't work for me.
One of the "blue ones" doesn't really make sense to me from a story perspective, why have a mistery surrounding what would be basically an original character that we know nothing about, it's already happening with the guy on the raft with Galadriel.
I heard Saruman as an option cause he eventually becomes evil, but he was white for many many years before LOTR, I think the corruption came afterwards and if he was to appear, he should be nothing but good and white IMO.
Radagast and Gandalf wouldn't work as evil characters.

This leaves me with very few ideas, which is what brought me to the Balrog. This is mostly from a story perspective, I just think it'd be a very cool twist for the series to convince you that he's a stranger to be helped, he somehow finds his way to Moria, gets triggered goes fully insane and becomes a big monster, and you as the audience think "of course the misterious magic being who came in a fireball is the big fire monster".
Besides, I find a Balrog who works to get to Moria and is a character a much cooler antagonist than a Balrog that just waits there hidden in his man-cave what, napping?

Again far fetched, but if the non-hobbits start heading towards Moria, it just might be! a man can dream

Any better ideas?

ah, bonus theory, the blade is nightbood and Theo is actually a world hopperB)

Ill Play, though I havent watched the eps yet, so sorry if I miss something obvious and feel free to spoil anything.

I think they are going to try for a twist with MeteorMan.  It will end up being either Gandalf, Sauramon, or possibly Sauron himself (in one of his various corrupting guises?), but they'll stack all the evidence in the other direction to get the audience to sympathize with the "wrong" side.

But I reality I think we all know who it will be...

Spoiler

Ef4PI49UMAEc1A5.jpg

2 hours ago, SpinningSky said:

Hi everyone!

So after watching Rings of Power I had a couple of ideas, not even theories as I think there isn't much to "hardcore theorize" on since we don't know how canonic the whole thing will be. 
I'd like to share them to see what you all think.

1) this one I'm feeling quite confident about: Theo is gonna be the Mouth of Sauron

Many people are talking about him being a nazgul, which I think just doesn't make sense, the only way it works is if his father is somehow royal blood and he becomes one of the kings, but even then I'm expecting the corruption to come from the rings themselves, not some blade.
I do think it'll make for a good story if he actually ends up being Sauron's minion, and the mouth of Sauron is canonically supposed to be a corrupted human (dark numenorean), it seems to me like it's clearly going in that direction, with the whole think about elves saying the humans of those lands are particularly corrupt. 
The fact that it's not that talked about makes me think that maybe the charachter is not as well known as I thought, which might even make it a twist for some people, which convices me even more.

2) this is the more fun one, which I'd like to belive: the meteor man is going to be "the", or "a", Balrog

I'm aware that this does not canonically work, as Barlogs are supposed to be already on middle-earth, not falling from the sky, and Durin's bane is supposed to have hidden under the mountain after the defeat of Morgoth, then again I think canon will have to be respectfully bent for the series to be good.

I'm starting from the assumption that he's going to be an evil character, due to the forshadowing given by Galadriel about "evil air making flames not burn", which is what happens with his flames. 
Any of the 5 standard sorcerers don't work for me.
One of the "blue ones" doesn't really make sense to me from a story perspective, why have a mistery surrounding what would be basically an original character that we know nothing about, it's already happening with the guy on the raft with Galadriel.
I heard Saruman as an option cause he eventually becomes evil, but he was white for many many years before LOTR, I think the corruption came afterwards and if he was to appear, he should be nothing but good and white IMO.
Radagast and Gandalf wouldn't work as evil characters.

This leaves me with very few ideas, which is what brought me to the Balrog. This is mostly from a story perspective, I just think it'd be a very cool twist for the series to convince you that he's a stranger to be helped, he somehow finds his way to Moria, gets triggered goes fully insane and becomes a big monster, and you as the audience think "of course the misterious magic being who came in a fireball is the big fire monster".
Besides, I find a Balrog who works to get to Moria and is a character a much cooler antagonist than a Balrog that just waits there hidden in his man-cave what, napping?

Again far fetched, but if the non-hobbits start heading towards Moria, it just might be! a man can dream

Any better ideas?

ah, bonus theory, the blade is nightbood and Theo is actually a world hopperB)

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

Ill Play, though I havent watched the eps yet, so sorry if I miss something obvious and feel free to spoil anything.

I think they are going to try for a twist with MeteorMan.  It will end up being either Gandalf, Sauramon, or possibly Sauron himself (in one of his various corrupting guises?), but they'll stack all the evidence in the other direction to get the audience to sympathize with the "wrong" side.

But I reality I think we all know who it will be...

Reveal hidden contents

Ef4PI49UMAEc1A5.jpg

I read an article today that was convinced that he is Sauron. With the whole fire situation being part of the evidence brought in support.

Looks like Sauron will have a persona that will eventually earn the names "Annatar ("Lord of Gifts"; anna = gift and tar = king, lord), Artano ("High-smith"), and Aulendil ("Friend of Aulë")" but all those seem more like earned titles more than actual names so who knows when they'll emerge. 

On 8.9.2022 at 5:22 PM, SpinningSky said:

and the mouth of Sauron is canonically supposed to be a corrupted human (dark numenorean)

That part - the paranthesis - is what convinces me it's not so. Theo is from Mordor, a southern/eastern man. He's no dúnadan.

I'm glad you pointed out the canon problems with meteor man being a Balrog, because if you wouldn't have done it I would've. IMO, this is far from a "respectful bent".

Then again, maybe I should loose my grip of canon a bit. But I really like the deep worldbuilding that is behind Arda and Tolkien's Legendarium, so chances I'll do that are slim.

14 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

That part - the paranthesis - is what convinces me it's not so. Theo is from Mordor, a southern/eastern man. He's no dúnadan.

I'm glad you pointed out the canon problems with meteor man being a Balrog, because if you wouldn't have done it I would've. IMO, this is far from a "respectful bent"..

Regarding Theo, the fact is that we don't know who is father is, which opens up to wahtever regarding his lineage

Yeah the Balrog thing, I just think it'd be fun honestly:lol:

we'll all be playing the game of "Nazgul or dead" for each human we come across going forward, lol.

Mostly I think people believe Theo's heading in a bad direction.  He doesn't really seem like he'd be powerful, a good candidate for a ring.  I am curious what happened with his father, he seems to have vanished.

My hope is the Stranger is one of the Blue Wizards, but I'm half expecting it to wind up being Gandalf because he's someone the average person has heard of.