I cosmeren't until very recently!

KickAssMagicRobot

Hi everyone!

I found the Cosmere this past fall through Brandon's YouTube writing lectures (I publish a webcomic and am in way over my head with writing something this long form- he helped A LOT).

Of course, I'm absolutely hooked! I've torn through Stormlight and both Mistborn eras, Warbreaker, and I'm finally reading Elantris now. My favorite thing about any media is the endless theorizing- spinning my wheels over and over about things. Twin Peaks used to be my launchpad of choice, but there's SO MUCH HERE to overanalyze!

AAAAAAAAAH!

Oh, I'm a basic internet sadboy, so clearly Kaladin is my favorite character. "He feels it as much as any of us. And he fights anyway." or whatever the line is. I can't even think about it without tearing up!

Favorite magic system so far? Gosh, that's tough. I want to say Allomancy, but the most interesting thing about it to me are the interactions with Feruchemy. I love the way Wax's powers work together. So IDK. I'm a D&D player from way back so I'm still hoping to see a more Vancian (fire and forget) spellcasting system at some point. That seems highly unlikely, but I'll continue to wait :)

Oh, snap. I think Soulcasting might actually be my favorite. I love what it implies about the nature of matter!

Has anyone talked about how much the little beads in the cognitive realm resemble how material objects are projected forward from ideas in Kabbalah? Like in one sephiroth, you have to have the idea of a chair, the idealized form, before it can move down the tree of life to the material world. I'm not a Kabbalist so I'm not qualified to explain. But I love real-life esotericism, too, and these things seem very similar.

1 hour ago, KickAssMagicRobot said:

Hi everyone!

I found the Cosmere this past fall through Brandon's YouTube writing lectures (I publish a webcomic and am in way over my head with writing something this long form- he helped A LOT).

Of course, I'm absolutely hooked! I've torn through Stormlight and both Mistborn eras, Warbreaker, and I'm finally reading Elantris now. My favorite thing about any media is the endless theorizing- spinning my wheels over and over about things. Twin Peaks used to be my launchpad of choice, but there's SO MUCH HERE to overanalyze!

AAAAAAAAAH!

Welcome, we're glad to have you here! Any crackpot theories you'd like to share?

And as 1Cellist said above, double posting is frowned upon - but don't worry, it's something a lot of new posters do. We are forgiving :D

3 minutes ago, Robin Sedai said:

Welcome, we're glad to have you here! Any crackpot theories you'd like to share?

And as 1Cellist said above, double posting is frowned upon - but don't worry, it's something a lot of new posters do. We are forgiving :D

Got it!

Crackpot theories. I don't feel qualified to propose theories as of yet. I have questions about mechanics that I'm looking into! I feel like I need to re-read Stormlight because that was where I started, and a lot of the "big reveals" for the cosmere at large were kind of lost on me. I need to let them rattle around in my brain a while.