Mraize’s Aviar

Rabbit Unmade

Okay, so we know Mraize has an aviar, right? I had a few questions.

First, do we know what Mraize’s aviar does? Maybe it can sense thoughts kind of like Kokerlii‘s opposite? That’s how he found Lift?

Also, aviars are Invested so they shouldn’t be able to leave. Is it because the isn’t a Shard on First of the Sun, or that aviars are easy to move, like Breaths? I’m assuming it because there’s no Shard, but I don’t know what that would change.

We have basically no info on Mraize’s aviar, but I just wanted to see if anyone picked up something I didn’t.

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Unmade said:

Okay, so we know Mraize has an aviar, right? I had a few questions.

First, do we know what Mraize’s aviar does? Maybe it can sense thoughts kind of like Kokerlii‘s opposite? That’s how he found Lift?

Also, aviars are Invested so they shouldn’t be able to leave. Is it because the isn’t a Shard on First of the Sun, or that aviars are easy to move, like Breaths? I’m assuming it because there’s no Shard, but I don’t know what that would change.

We have basically no info on Mraize’s aviar, but I just wanted to see if anyone picked up something I didn’t.

I don’t remember where but their is a theory that mraize aviar is a carnivore that became an aviar after killing and eating another. As we know the abilities come from the fruit it self and not the birds. So maybe it has multiple abilities, also shallan mentions not being able to sneak up on mraize so maybe a detection ability?

We still don't know the ability, it's been RAFO'd:

JoyBlue

*written* What Aviar power does Mraize's green chicken grant?

Brandon Sanderson

*written* RAFO!

*spoken* But it is an Aviar, so it does have one.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

But it's confirmed that it's carnivoristic:

R'Shara

The Aviar that we see in Sixth of the Dusk were all fruit eaters, they all have to eat the fruit that the grubs live in. However, Mraize's Aviar seems a lot more like a predator than a herbivore.

Brandon Sanderson

It is!

R'Shara

Did his species become extinct or is it a unique Aviar like Sak?

Brandon Sanderson

Neither. But yes, it is a carnivoristic Aviar. I will confirm that, which it's not confirming much, you guys already knew that. But that is indeed what is going on there.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 2 (June 3, 2021)

So yeah, it probably gained its ability by eating an Aviar and therefore indirectly eating the worms that Aviar had eaten before.

Yep. And that might also explain why it was attacking the other aviar in RoW.

I feel like with our info, a detection ability is the most likely, but know that Lift’s new aviar could sense Mraize, so I don’t know why Mraize’s aviar would be trying to get powers from the green aviar. Maybe the powers get stronger the more parasites they eat?

”I’m sorry,” Lift said, squatting down. “How did you know he was here?”

It chirped.

”You could feel him, couldn’t you?” She asked, “Or… you could feel where he’d been.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 4:58 PM, Rabbit Unmade said:

I feel like with our info, a detection ability is the most likely, but know that Lift’s new aviar could sense Mraize, so I don’t know why Mraize’s aviar would be trying to get powers from the green aviar. Maybe the powers get stronger the more parasites they eat?

I don't know if the powers would stack depending on how many aviar you eat. I think it's more likely that having another aviar would be a big advantage for the ghostbloods. Though if eating multiple worms helps get an aviar more powers, or stronger powers that could be very interesting. But then you have to ask why the aviar in Patji don't just eat more wurm fruit. That would be a much easier way to get stronger powers.

I thought that Aviar abilities were directly related to the species of the bird and not just randomly given by the worms / fruit. This is why the woman in Sixth of the Dusk was so fascinated by Sixth's bird that can glimpse possible future deaths (been ages and can't remember any names).

So if one Aviar was to eat another then I would think that they'd develop an ability based on it's species and not what abilities the consumed one had 

On 8/10/2022 at 7:56 PM, Mr. Misting said:

I don't know if the powers would stack depending on how many aviar you eat. I think it's more likely that having another aviar would be a big advantage for the ghostbloods. Though if eating multiple worms helps get an aviar more powers, or stronger powers that could be very interesting. But then you have to ask why the aviar in Patji don't just eat more wurm fruit. That would be a much easier way to get stronger powers.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:05 AM, Stonerward said:

I thought that Aviar abilities were directly related to the species of the bird and not just randomly given by the worms / fruit. This is why the woman in Sixth of the Dusk was so fascinated by Sixth's bird that can glimpse possible future deaths (been ages and can't remember any names).

So if one Aviar was to eat another then I would think that they'd develop an ability based on it's species and not what abilities the consumed one had 

Correct, the ability is based on Species. It is implied the worms become invested in the Shardpool and the birds become invested by eating the worms. 

SotD about 55% on the ebook

Spoiler

“The Aviar are special. Everyone knows the separate breeds and what they do. Why assume that a fish would learn to breathe air, if raised on land? Why assume a non-Aviar would become one if raised on Patji.…”

So, more likely Mraize's aviar is one of two possibilities:

• It was a Raptor species brought to Patji to gain a talent - or - 
  • It's a normal (if carnivorous/omnivorous) Aviar and MRaize's ability to sense people near him is from Breaths.
    • In fact, it's implied on the Coppermind/WoB that species that hide thought signatures can act as a Coppercloud to other forms of investiture and we know more than one species carries that talent because both Kokerlii and Mirris have that ability, despite being different species. 
    • It would make sense for Mraize to want this type of Aviar as well; and SotD is so far after the events we see, this could very well be a normal aviar species that has since died out on First of the Sun. 
Edited by Treamayne

I've said it before, but I think Mraize's aviar has the power to make people accept Mraize's presence as normal, even though he's a distinctive and unusual guy. Some kind of Spiritual Connection manipulation, like Dalinar's power to learn the local language in an instant. The final straw for me was when he infiltrated Ialai's guard, as though she'd have some scarred up weirdo who brings his pet to work as a bodyguard. It seems like he can get any job at the drop of a hat, to the point of having various nations' military uniforms at hand. He's doing the kind of stuff you pull off with a 20 Charisma score in D&D. It ain't natural.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:25 PM, earthexile said:

I've said it before, but I think Mraize's aviar has the power to make people accept Mraize's presence as normal, even though he's a distinctive and unusual guy.

While this is an interesting theory, I think it's nothing to do with Mraize's aviar making people think he's a totally normal dude that would not like to murder you and your family should you become politically inconvenient. I think Mraize is just a really manipulative person, as we don't see many people seeing Mraize as a hire-able person( but it is odd that he has trusted positions in practically every nation). I can't really remember if Mraize brings his chicken to work. I don't think he would. His aviar probably has a different power, even though allomantic Soothing type stuff is something I feel that Mraize would be interested in. We haven't seen every type of aviar ability, but I think something Fortune related is also a Mraize thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 6:26 PM, Rabbit Unmade said:

Actually, not all Invested objects and entities have difficulty leaving their world. Some Investitures, such as Stormlight, are harder to remove due to their specific Intent (i.e., Honor's Investiture wants to bind and hold on), while others, such as Bio-Chromatic breaths are pretty easy to move between worlds (I.e., Endowment's Investiture is given freely, no strings and little Connection attached).

Edited by Trusk'our