What we can learn from supressor fabrials.

Frustration

In RoW we saw a very intresting type of fabrial that was used to turn radiant abilities off. There are a few quick lessons about fabrials specifically old fabrials we can learn from this.

The first is that the cut and positioning of the gems matters

""Four garnets stood out, the same construction used in the suppression fabrial. The layouts were too precise, too exact, to be a coincidence." -RoW page 259

"She didn't recognize the metal of it's cage, the cut of it's gemstones . . ." -RoW page 131

However I think there is more to be understood. So far every instance of a fabrial that requires a spren to be bound in Shadeasmar has been a replica of a Radiant's abilities. So if this treand holds, there should be a radiant order capable of the same feat.

The only clue we get towards what kind of spren it could be is it's corrupted nature, and that the device uses garnets.

Every corrupted radiant spren so far has been a Mistspren and Sja-anat prefers them to other types

Spoiler

Oversleep

Will there be Enlightened spren of other Radiant Orders than Truthwatchers, and why does Sja-anat like Truthwatchers so much?

Brandon Sanderson

The reason Sja-anat likes Truthwatcher spren the most is because they are the most willing. And she considers what she's doing offering Enlightenment, not corrupting. And she considers their willingness to be a part of this. Outside observers might consider her methods less... involving less volition on the parts of some of the spren that she touches. They might argue with her on that point. In this case, as it comes with the two Truthwatcher spren that you see in the books, they both went to what they are willingly. Fully willingly to become what they are. They are, you might say, participants in her plans. So that's why she wants them.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 1 (Dec. 17, 2020)

However Garnets are the gem associated with Lightweavers so I think we have more solid evidence towards it being one of their abilities.

This is really interesting. I think this is really a possibility. Another possibility is voidspren. I think this more likely actually, considering sja anat decided to help the radiants, this the enlightened spren would not be adjusted to black Radiant abilities.

53 minutes ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

This is really interesting. I think this is really a possibility. Another possibility is voidspren. I think this more likely actually, considering sja anat decided to help the radiants, this the enlightened spren would not be adjusted to black Radiant abilities.

The spren was corrupted, so it can't have been from Odium originally.

Just now, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

Oh, I missed the corrupted part. I thought it was just speculation, not fact(or implied).

Nope, it's confirmed

"'Brightness the spren that runs the suppression device . . . it has been corrupted, very similar to . . .'"-RoW page 260

On 7/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, Frustration said:

However Garnets are the gem associated with Lightweavers so I think we have more solid evidence towards it being one of their abilities.

So, do you think it might be a type of Enlightened "Reverse Lashing?"

By this I mean:

• The Reverse Lashing is an application of the overlap of Adhesion and Gravitation surges
  • An E-Spren (like Glys) already may access one or both of their order's surges slightly different than an unenlightened sprean 
  • So, some interaction between the surges of Illumination and Transformation might be behind Sibling's supression of the Fused - leading to an E-Spren's application of the same "resonance" affecting Radiants
    Therefore: an Enlightened Liespren that becomes a living fabrial may express this ebility if given the correcf form and Intent. 

11 hours ago, Treamayne said:

So, do you think it might be a type of Enlightened "Reverse Lashing?"

By this I mean:

• The Reverse Lashing is an application of the overlap of Adhesion and Gravitation surges
  • An E-Spren (like Glys) already may access one or both of their order's surges slightly different than an unenlightened sprean 
  • So, some interaction between the surges of Illumination and Transformation might be behind Sibling's supression of the Fused - leading to an E-Spren's application of the same "resonance" affecting Radiants
    Therefore: an Enlightened Liespren that becomes a living fabrial may express this ebility if given the correcf form and Intent. 

If the middle one is correct then we could be seeing a type of void binding.