Dakhor Bones And Hemalurgy

Trusk'our

Question

If you stole a Dakhor's powers via Hemalurgy, would your bones twist and grow to reflect the power, or would you have the power but without the bone twists since an Aon Dor (and presumably some other Selish magics) can have their physical structure messed up but still function?

4 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

If you stole a Dakhor's powers via Hemalurgy, would your bones twist and grow to reflect the power, or would you have the power but without the bone twists since an Aon Dor (and presumably some other Selish magics) can have their physical structure messed up but still function?

I don't think we know enough about Dakhor to answer this, but I suspect that if you stole the ability to use Dakhor with Hemalurgy, it would do nothing to your bones, nor grant you any abilities - except the ability to "chant" bones into growing into the shapes that provide the abilities.

Remember, the bone form is analogous to a character in AonDor. Hemalurgy wouldn't steal "Aon Ashe" (for example) from an Elantrian, it would steal the ability to access the Dor via AonDor.  Likewise, from a Monk it would steal the ability to access the Dor via Dakhor Chants - not steal the bone forms themselves.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

I disagree with Treamayne on this one. Dakhor abilities twist the soul (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/3/#e48) Hemalurgy rips and steals pieces of the Spiritweb. I think a spike is likely to steal the Dakhor bone twists and the abilities those twists granted, not just the ability to use Dakhor.

The twisted bones are Dakhor, if you steal Dakhor abilities, it will twist your bones, that's how it grants its abilities. I think it should be possible to just steal the ability itself without the bone twisting: the power isn't inherent to the bone twists but coded by bone twists, but that would take more skill, and/or possibly more than Hemalurgy.

Also, both the magics support strange mutations of the body just fine (Inquisitors have railroad spikes going through their eye sockets, and more running along their spine).

Edited by Honorless

so my current impression is this: If the Dakhor bones are providing some passive benefit, like enhanced healing or strength, then the spiking that attribute from them should include the enhanced version as well - without twisting your won bones.  it is stealing the strength/healing/speed/etc and it doesn't care how much is there or why it is higher than normal. that is based on this WoB about what happens if you spike someone who stamped themselves:

Questioner

If you Stamp yourself, to have another, overwritten spiritweb, and you get Spiked-- *laughter* What would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

We actually worked this out. *laughter*

Questioner

Well, you'd die, or very close to it, but would it revert when the Stamp reverts?

Brandon Sanderson

So what’s probably going to happen here is that you’re going to rip off the Investiture you’ve put on your soul, and your own soul will have less damage. Now, the spike is only gonna get the-- the spike, you're like "What will it do?" It will do what you've been overwritten with, but again remember, becoming an Allomancer takes so much energy, and things like-- But it is theoretically possible in the cosmere to rewrite yourself "You're an allomancer", someone spikes you to get this. The Investiture doesn't care that it was fake on you, you have managed to get that Investiture to work. Uhh, this is really tough. And really, like, you need Connection, and you need, like, the right kind of Investiture, but then it rips off and yes you have made a spike that makes you an Allomancer, even though the person was a Forger. So yes, okay? But this is the kind of stuff that is like the thought experiments for physicists in the cosmere as opposed to, y'know--

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

now for spiking a power out, that is a bit trickier.  because I THINK the way that Dakhor powers work is that the twisted bone acts similarly to an Aon.  so it doesn't give you the power to teleport or whatever, it just gives you a built in rune that you can activate with existing Dakhor powers.  so to get that you would need to spike out the ability to use Dakhor powers, and spike out connection to the right location if you didnt already have it, and the twist your own bones.  but I could be mistaken about that, its a bit more speculative; I am pretty confident about the first part

I think both are possible and that it depends on what metal and Intent you are using. 

If you steal the ability to actually Chant the Dakhor (which I think would take two spikes for the power and for the Connection to the land of Fjorden), you'd get that ability but not any specific bone warpings that had actually been done.

If you tried to steal the actual physical bone traits, you could get them but they'd be "dead" unless you Charged them with the appropriate Investiture (ie. supplement the Sacrifices and whatnot) which also might require multiple spikes.  

EDIT:  A telling experiment would be to see if the bones of a Dakhor monk revert to normal when they leave Sel or if they'd remain warped but non-functional.

Edited by Quantus