Is Shallan really her mother?

Storyspren

I had a crazy idea on the latest reread through that maybe Shallan didn't kill her mother and instead her mother killed Shallan. And Shallan's crazy herald mother lightweaved herself so tight that she completely forgot who she was and became a tangible illusion of her daughter. 

So can someone please knock some sense into me. Thank you in advance.

Setting aside all of the mechanical issues and general creepiness such a reveal would entail...

Since the only semi-concrete evidence we have of Chanarach being Shallan's mother is (KotW Prologue spoilers):

Spoiler

A herald died and went to Braize at approximately the same time as Shallan killed her mother. So your theory would require the dead herald to be someone else, and thus there would be nothing linking Shallan's mother to Chanarach in the first place.

But yeah, that's quite the imagination you have there.

I dont think so, since actual (loopy) Time Travel is impossible in the Cosmere.

Questioner

Is Shallan's father her actual father?

Brandon Sanderson

Ah! People asked if her mother were her mother. No one's asked yet if her father were her father... Yes, it was her father. Yes, I will give you that, yes. Her mother and father as presented in the stories were actually her mother and father.

Words of Radiance Philadelphia signing (March 21, 2014)

Edited by Quantus