The KOTLC Club

Do you like Keeper of the Lost Cities?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Keeper of the Lost Cities?

1 hour ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Welcome, I'm glad we have more than two people. Do you have any theories on KOTLC?

Fitz dies. This is literally my only theory. Also, can we agree that the Spyball is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay underused??????

21 minutes ago, Morningtide said:

Fitz dies. This is literally my only theory. Also, can we agree that the Spyball is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay underused??????

Yes, It is. Though, given its limitation on only finding registered things, there may be a reason. Also, can you hear anything through it?

Regardless of whether or not Fitz dies, he should not get to be with Sophie until he has become waaaay more mature.

10 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Yes, It is. Though, given its limitation on only finding registered things, there may be a reason. Also, can you hear anything through it?

Regardless of whether or not Fitz dies, he should not get to be with Sophie until he has become waaaay more mature.

True that there may be a reason. Also it's overpowered. I don't know if you can hear anything through it, but that would be a really good way to solve a lot of problems

I SOOOOOOO agree. And I don't think that he will ever become more mature, so he should just never get to be with Sophie period. I might hate him a little bit. Very well written character who is a not good person. Keefe on the other hand.... :D

I think one of the things about Spyballs is that they can't be used as much because the Council very strictly regulates them. They could definitely be explored more - I could see that being epic.

My opinion on Fitz/Keefe was largely formed by the first book, in which Fitz is a perfect gentleman and Keefe is a typical "bad boy". I agree, he is changing, but he's got a way to go.

1 hour ago, Condensation said:

I think one of the things about Spyballs is that they can't be used as much because the Council very strictly regulates them. They could definitely be explored more - I could see that being epic.

My opinion on Fitz/Keefe was largely formed by the first book, in which Fitz is a perfect gentleman and Keefe is a typical "bad boy". I agree, he is changing, but he's got a way to go.

which he? b/c Fitz was very nice, but we saw how he handled stress in the second book, which means that Sophie will never be a good match for him unless he learns to control himself, and Keef is the most aware oblivious person I know of who is also waaaay to hard on himself.

22 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

which he? b/c Fitz was very nice, but we saw how he handled stress in the second book, which means that Sophie will never be a good match for him unless he learns to control himself, and Keef is the most aware oblivious person I know of who is also waaaay to hard on himself.

... Both? I was originally referring to Keefe, but I think it works for Fitz too.

Hello, I have read this series and like it very much. The character interactions flow in a way that is more natural and unique than in any other series I have read before.

I have a bad habit of inserting myself in other people's stories as a weird inter-dimensional worldhopper who has also visited the dimensions of other stories, and this series makes it really easy for me to imagine how I would interact with each of the characters, and how I would react to certain situations. It's very well written.

The worldbuilding is also unique and well thought out, but there are many things that are briefly mentioned that I wish the author had gone more in depth on. For example, Keepers. The title of the series still does not make perfect sense to me.

Otherwise, happy to be here!

(And I realize you were having a discussion before I came in here, so feel free to continue that after you read my interruption.)

1 hour ago, The Bookwyrm said:

I have a bad habit of inserting myself in other people's stories as a weird inter-dimensional worldhopper who has also visited the dimensions of other stories, and this series makes it really easy for me to imagine how I would interact with each of the characters, and how I would react to certain situations. It's very well written.

I do the same. I also have my worldhopper pick up powers/skills from just about every other series I've read, (i.e. mistborn, ancient language from Eragon, Reckoner superpowers, Rangers apprentice archery) as well as various impossible tech.

1 hour ago, The Bookwyrm said:

The worldbuilding is also unique and well thought out, but there are many things that are briefly mentioned that I wish the author had gone more in depth on. For example, Keepers. The title of the series still does not make perfect sense to me.

Otherwise, happy to be here!

(And I realize you were having a discussion before I came in here, so feel free to continue that after you read my interruption.)

Glad to have you here, you are welcome to create a new discussion, I don't know how much more the previous one can go on for. I never thought about it, but I have to agree on the series title, but when I think about it, I think Amy could be considered a Keeper of the Lost Cities, though not in the in-world traditional sense. It may also have to do with all the forgotten secrets, and what they may contain. What are the elysians, and how are they relevant?

I do the same. I also have my worldhopper pick up powers/skills from just about every other series I've read, (i.e. mistborn, ancient language from Eragon, Reckoner superpowers, Rangers apprentice archery) as well as various impossible tech.

This is is exactly what happens to me. It ends up becoming a bunch of other magic systems that have kind of blended together into a weird portfolio of powers that's specific to me. (Especially when you get the same effects from different magic systems, Like Pyrokinesis and Firebending from Avatar: The Last Airbender.)

It's really fun to imagine explaining Shardblades (and basically anything else) to people from other dimensions. The nice thing about being a Windrunner is that it turns your eyes blue when you summon your Shardblade, so while my eyes are naturally brown, the elves don't notice that because I routinely summon my Shardblade in secret when no one is looking.

I also enjoy comparing the Eragon version of telepathy and mental powers to the kind we see in KOTLC, and imagining how an elven Telepath would gain advantages if they were trained by someone who was well skilled in Alagaesian mental techniques.

(This is devolving into a mash up of book series that might not belong here, so I'll change the topic again...)

I think Amy could be considered a Keeper of the Lost Cities, though not in the in-world traditional sense.

Ooh, this is an interesting idea... I suppose she is, considering what happened to her.

I just was remarking that in the beginning of book one, someone mentioned that Sophie would make an incredible Keeper because of her impenetrable mind. And then that brief mention was never really built upon. We see Sophie come to play a very important role in the Lost Cities, but she was never really identified as an official Keeper...

It just makes me wonder, because it's the title of the series, so it must be important, but there isn't really anything in the books (yet) that denotes why exactly this is the title.

Edited by The Bookwyrm

8 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

This is is exactly what happens to me. It ends up becoming a bunch of other magic systems that have kind of blended together into a weird portfolio of powers that's specific to me. (Especially when you get the same effects from different magic systems, Like Pyrokinesis and Firebending from Avatar: The Last Airbender.)

It's really fun to imagine explaining Shardblades (and basically anything else) to people from other dimensions. The nice thing about being a Windrunner is that it turns your eyes blue when you summon your Shardblade, so while my eyes are naturally brown, the elves don't notice that because I routinely summon my Shardblade in secret when no one is looking.

I also enjoy comparing the Eragon version of telepathy and mental powers to the kind we see in KOTLC, and imagining how an elven Telepath would gain advantages if they were trained by someone who was well skilled in Alagaesian mental techniques.

(This is devolving into a mash up of book series that might not belong here, so I'll change the topic again...)

This is perfectly fine, friend. I discovered KOTLC before Sanderson, so I just gave myself two different color eyes. It would be really fun to explain those things.

8 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Ooh, this is an interesting idea... I suppose she is, considering what happened to her.

I just was remarking that in the beginning of book one, someone mentioned that Sophie would make an incredible Keeper because of her impenetrable mind. And then that brief mention was never really built upon. We see Sophie come to play a very important role in the Lost Cities, but she was never really identified as an official Keeper...

It just makes me wonder, because it's the title of the series, so it must be important, but there isn't really anything in the books (yet) that denotes why exactly this is the title.

I can understand, it does seem important. Perhaps she, keef, and Fitz are all actually keepers b/c they have secrets hidden in their minds(just guessing on Fitz)

That's one definition of Keepers, sure, and I do think that will come into play more. However, keepers can also be people who guard something or keep it safe. Really, Sophie and her group of friends have been the only ones who have been protecting the Lost Cities from its threats, which is what I always thought.

5 hours ago, Condensation said:

That's one definition of Keepers, sure, and I do think that will come into play more. However, keepers can also be people who guard something or keep it safe. Really, Sophie and her group of friends have been the only ones who have been protecting the Lost Cities from its threats, which is what I always thought.

That makes a lot of sense.

Here's another question. I've been thinking, and I think Shannon will have already introduced us to Mr. Forkle's "real life" persona. At least, I hope so, since that's a sign of good writing and good planning. What do you think? Can you think of anyone who he might be, or do you think it'll come out of the blue?

1 hour ago, Condensation said:

Here's another question. I've been thinking, and I think Shannon will have already introduced us to Mr. Forkle's "real life" persona. At least, I hope so, since that's a sign of good writing and good planning. What do you think? Can you think of anyone who he might be, or do you think it'll come out of the blue?

I think that if we ever find his "real-Life" persona, it'll come out of the blue, because it'll have to be pretty old, even by elf standards. What I really want to know is who the other two collective members are, Blur and Wraith.

3 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Who is ready to find out what the Great Gullon Incident was?

YES. THIS. ME. NOW PLEASE. I mean I have an idea, and I think I know the basics, but I'd like an in-world retelling. 

Edited by Morningtide

Just now, The Wandering Wizard said:

How I imagine it is that keefe somehow lured a bunch of gullons to the school and got them to fart. I wouldn't be affected as I can't smell.

This is basically what I imagine, but I'm sure there's a bit more to the story. Revenge, a prank, making his parents mad for a specific reason... I can't smell either lol