Midnight sea Aether

So to those of you who have read Aether of Night I think  that the Midnight sea Aether is ferrous since this would be incredibly terrifying and give the Sorceress a very scary reputation since the Aethers upon ingestion and exposure to liquid might have an effect similar to making you a Corpate you would become a slave to the sorceress. Thoughts?

Aether of Night (the book) isn't canon, but there's a WoB that the canon Aethers are basically similar (though more were added and their origin is maybe non-Shard-related now?).

I think the Midnight Sea corresponds to the (new, non-Shard-related version of) the Night Aether just as the Verdant/Emerald Sea corresponds to the Verdant Aether.

• 3 weeks later...

Relevant WoB:

Pagerunner

At JordanCon, you sharpie’d the aether planet onto my constellation chart and said you couldn’t canonize the planet name until you wrote the book. Having been revealed as a dirty rotten liar to my face, can you now reveal the name of the planet? Has it changed from the prior incarnations of the aether world due to new worldbuilding? 

Brandon Sanderson

This is not the aether planet. Ha ha! There are aethers on this planet.

The planet where the aethers originate is a different planet in the Cosmere. This is a unique and different strain of the aethers that is doing something different. If you have read Aether of Night, the original aethers still act very similar to what's in Aether of Night. But these are different. You'll still see the same things, like roseite and stuff like that. You'll still see that they do the same things, but it's a different take on the same magic system.

Secret Project #1 Reveal and Livestream (March 8, 2022)

So the 'core' Aethers function similarly to what we've already seen and the sole example we have from the preview chapters indicates that this offshoot of Verdant functions at least somewhat like what we should expect (growing vines), with that being confirmed to be linked to the associated Emerald/Verdant sea. Consequently there's little reason to think that a sea whose name includes the word 'Night' would be associated with an Aether that isn't a reimagined version of the one we saw in Aether of Night.

Brandon mentions 'roseite' in that WoB, which sounds like either an off the cuff goof or an indication that Amberite's name has changed, since he implies it's something we would recognize.

Now, I'd love to see Ferrous again and think it's the most interesting of the Aethers, Realmatically-speaking. No doubt a canon version of it would be really cool. I just don't see any reason for the sorceress on the Midnight Sea to be involved with that one. Also, as seen in the original novel, Night can be used to conjure creepy spectres that were mistakenly believed to be the souls of the damned due to Aedin cultural reasons. If a reworked Night (or an offshoot of it) functions even remotely similarly, it's got plenty of room to do things that would give this sorceress a reputation.

Edited by Weltall

On 4/29/2022 at 4:43 PM, Adonlasium said:

I don't know but the sorceress would be a lot more frightening with an army of Corpates especially if she could turn anyone into oneAlso Night isn't canon.

I'm not trying to pile on but I don't see why Ferrous would be any more or less canon than Night, they're from the same unpublished book. Only Amberite(or Rosite depending on how Brandon is feeling) is technically canon because we've seen it in published works. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2022 at 4:34 PM, Adonlasium said:

So to those of you who have read Aether of Night I think  that the Midnight sea Aether is ferrous since this would be incredibly terrifying and give the Sorceress a very scary reputation since the Aethers upon ingestion and exposure to liquid might have an effect similar to making you a Corpate you would become a slave to the sorceress. Thoughts?

What is a corporate exactly?

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.7.2022 at 3:25 PM, bmcclure7 said:

What is a corporate exactly?

A kind of cyborg holders of the Ferrous ether can transform themselves into. It has some auxillary powers like great strength and generating light or heat. In addition they are ageless. As a downside they lose the power of speech and their body. Their body becomes immobile and totally enclosed within the metal part.