Insanity Clinic For The Moderately Brandofandonitis Afflicted

Medium

@InfiniteInsanity

You have to read Wheel of Time if you want to understand all these mechanics.

...I still need to read Wheel of Time...I only got to book eight and that was at least two years ago...

Dreamscape: Sixth Archive Pathway-The Hallway

Bookwyrm put a little more energy into his ball of Nightfire. It grew in size and in brightness, illuminating the dark hallway a little more. The mostly featureless corridor extended very far into the darkness.

"This," he said, breaking the eerie silence, "is a really long hallway."

He paused.

I wonder...

Bookwyrm turned to Calano and Matra. "I could Lash us down the hallway with Gravitation," he said. "That would certainly get us there faster. And my powers should work in the dream, because, well-" he raised the hand with the Nightfire.

@CalanoCorvus @Shadowed

Ravelast: Sixth Gateway Archive

Nameless froze at Rue's outburst, shocked at the genuine show of anger coming from the Aes Sedai. After a moment of hesitation, he walked after her. "I-"  he paused, not sure what to say. "I guess you do have a reason to be angry. I can't exactly claim that male channelers haven't ever hurt anyone. I wasn't alive during the 3rd age, but- well, I've heard what the Black Tower used to be like. I know how dangerous the insanity is, and I know what male channelers have done." His hand went to the pins on his coat, and his next words were quiet and somewhat forced. "I'm sorry. What you did in bonding me is unforgivable, but you're not as bad as you could be. At least you haven't tried to make me stop channeling without your permission or anything stupid like that."

@Aes Sedai

1 hour ago, InfiniteInsanity said:

Insa watched Rue storm off. "Nameless, eventually I want to know what happened to them. You don't have to tell me now though." She got up and followed Rue.

@Aes Sedai @UnfortunatelyNamed

39 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Nameless froze at Rue's outburst, shocked at the genuine show of anger coming from the Aes Sedai. After a moment of hesitation, he walked after her. "I-"  he paused, not sure what to say. "I guess you do have a reason to be angry. I can't exactly claim that male channelers haven't ever hurt anyone. I wasn't alive during the 3rd age, but- well, I've heard what the Black Tower used to be like. I know how dangerous the insanity is, and I know what male channelers have done." His hand went to the pins on his coat, and his next words were quiet and somewhat forced. "I'm sorry. What you did in bonding me is unforgivable, but you're not as bad as you could be. At least you haven't tried to make me stop channeling without your permission or anything stupid like that."

@Aes Sedai

Rue took a deep breath. A rosebud opening to the sun. “I should not have gotten so angry.” Scud. It had been a long time since she’d lost control like that. “But the other Ajahs…they don’t think you’re dangerous anymore. They don’t understand how many of you still have the madness, and how even the new Asha’man show it. The red is still needed, and always will be.” She gave a stiff nod and stalked away. Light. Was that really all it took for me to lose herself? I’m was out of practice, too much time away from the tower. She sniffed. “And I wouldn’t keep you from channeling. You’d grow more dangerous and less sane if you never satisfied the longing.”

@UnfortunatelyNamed @InfiniteInsanity

Edited by Aes Sedai

7 minutes ago, Aes Sedai said:

Rue took a deep breath. A rosebud opening to the sun. “I should not have gotten so angry.” Scud. It had been a long time since she’d lost control like that. “But the other Ajahs…they don’t think you’re dangerous anymore. They don’t understand how many of you still have the madness, and how even the new Asha’man show it. The red is still needed, and always will be.” She gave a stiff nod and stalked away. Light. Was that really all it took for me to lose herself? I’m was out of practice, too much time away from the tower. She sniffed. “And I wouldn’t keep you from channeling. You’d grow more dangerous and less sane if you never satisfied the longing.”

Nameless called after her. "We're not dangerous anymore. Nyneave has- well, I guess she hasn't yet. Still, the taint doesn't exist anymore. Yes, male channelers have hurt people, but that was all in the past. The Black Tower is safe now. I'm safe. I wasn't even born until after saidin was cleansed. " He shot a quick pleading look to Emma, hoping she'd understand and keep quiet. "So can you please agree to unbond me?"

@The Wandering Wizard

Ravelast: Sixth Archive Gateway

Rue turned back to him. "Safe, huh. I don't buy that. And I can't unbond you." Sensing confusion through the aforementioned bond, she continued, "Members of the red Ajah swear our own oaths, to make sure only those who think as we do join our ranks. Since Saidin was 'cleansed', the other Ajahs have been desperate to make us change. They've tried to send in Accepted with their own views before. They were surprised when I joined; everyone thought that I'd be a Brown, or a Green." She laughed bitterly. "But none of that matters. The point is, I literally can't let you go. And I'm still not convinced that I should. What happened to your friends who are supposedly fine?"

@UnfortunatelyNamed

6 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

@InfiniteInsanity

Bookwyrm put a little more energy into his ball of Nightfire. It grew in size and in brightness, illuminating the dark hallway a little more. The mostly featureless corridor extended very far into the darkness.

"This," he said, breaking the eerie silence, "is a really long hallway."

He paused.

I wonder...

Bookwyrm turned to Calano and Matra. "I could Lash us down the hallway with Gravitation," he said. "That would certainly get us there faster. And my powers should work in the dream, because, well-" he raised the hand with the Nightfire.

@CalanoCorvus @Shadowed

“That’s a good idea. Otherwise we could be down here forever.”

Something else occurred  to Matra as she spoke. “Wait. Lashing? Don’t you have to be a Windrunner or Skybreaker for that? I’ve never heard you talking to your spren.”

@The Bookwyrm @CalanoCorvus

Edited by Shadowed

12 hours ago, Aes Sedai said:

Rue turned back to him. "Safe, huh. I don't buy that. And I can't unbond you." Sensing confusion through the aforementioned bond, she continued, "Members of the red Ajah swear our own oaths, to make sure only those who think as we do join our ranks. Since Saidin was 'cleansed', the other Ajahs have been desperate to make us change. They've tried to send in Accepted with their own views before. They were surprised when I joined; everyone thought that I'd be a Brown, or a Green." She laughed bitterly. "But none of that matters. The point is, I literally can't let you go. And I'm still not convinced that I should. What happened to your friends who are supposedly fine?"

@UnfortunatelyNamed

"I told you, they're fine" Nameless snapped, annoyance and anger evident on his face and through the bond. Taking a deep breath, he calmed himself, turning to Insa and doing his best to ignore Rue. "You wanted to know what happened? We went to the Tower to heal TAAron, and... we did. He's healed. TAAron and Haly and everyone, they wanted to go with Haly's sister. Something came up in Haly's home world. I came here because I-" He paused, shooting a quick glance at Rue. "I wouldn't have been any help to them. I figured it was better if I just came to the clinic." Despite his words, the roiling mass of emotions Rue could feel through the bond indicated that he wasn't being completely honest. Abruptly, Nameless looked at her, eyes narrowing, and Rue's awareness of his emotions dampened somewhat. "Rue. Have you had a Warder before? You're a red, so I presume not. Unless you've bonded other Asha'man like you did me."

@InfiniteInsanity

9 hours ago, Shadowed said:

“That’s a good idea. Otherwise we could be down here forever.”

Something else occurred  to Matra as she spoke. “Wait. Lashing? Don’t you have to be a Windrunner or Skybreaker for that? I’ve never heard you talking to your spren.”

@The Bookwyrm @CalanoCorvus

"I don't often talk to her when others are around," Bookwyrm replied. "Windaphra is...an interesting Honorspren, to say the least." He paused for a moment, then turned to an empty spot of air. "Well, what else do you want me to say?"

Bookwyrm sighed and shook his head. "Nevermind." He turned to Calano. "So, are we good to get down the hallway with a Lashing?"

@CalanoCorvus

Ravelast:Sixth Archive Gateway

Insa nodded accepting Nameless's answer and walked away into the trees a little. The constant arguing between Rue and Nameless was driving her a bit crazy.

She laid down looking up at the sky through the branches. Everything was driving her crazy. She couldn't remember her past. Maybe Bookwyrm knew but if he didn't then what? Where was she supposed to go or do then?  And then the whole Nameless and Rue thing happened. And they would not stop fighting. She kind of got why but still it was getting a bit annoying.

It was just a lot.

Oh come on. You'll be fine. Just get up and keep going. It'll all work out somehow.

22 hours ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

"I told you, they're fine" Nameless snapped, annoyance and anger evident on his face and through the bond. Taking a deep breath, he calmed himself, turning to Insa and doing his best to ignore Rue. "You wanted to know what happened? We went to the Tower to heal TAAron, and... we did. He's healed. TAAron and Haly and everyone, they wanted to go with Haly's sister. Something came up in Haly's home world. I came here because I-" He paused, shooting a quick glance at Rue. "I wouldn't have been any help to them. I figured it was better if I just came to the clinic." Despite his words, the roiling mass of emotions Rue could feel through the bond indicated that he wasn't being completely honest. Abruptly, Nameless looked at her, eyes narrowing, and Rue's awareness of his emotions dampened somewhat. "Rue. Have you had a Warder before? You're a red, so I presume not. Unless you've bonded other Asha'man like you did me."

@InfiniteInsanity

Rue hesitated, not wanting to give away a weakness. “No…”

@UnfortunatelyNamed

4 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Namless narrowed his eyes at Rue, suspicious. "No what?"

Rue rolled her eyes. “Complain when I’m cryptic, complain when I say exactly what I mean, why don’t you. No, I’ve never had a warder before.”

36 minutes ago, Aes Sedai said:

Rue rolled her eyes. “Complain when I’m cryptic, complain when I say exactly what I mean, why don’t you. No, I’ve never had a warder before.”

Nameless nodded. "I believe you." Not like I have much choice. "Did you live through the Last Battle?"

Edited by UnfortunatelyNamed

18 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Nameless nodded. "I believe you." Not like I have much choice. "Did you live through the Last Battle?"

"I'm here, aren't I?" Rue said, shoving down those memories. Why did he have to bring that up?

Just now, Aes Sedai said:

"I'm here, aren't I?" Rue said, shoving down those memories. Why did he have to bring that up?

"You said it's been fifty years since saidin was cleansed. That's plenty of time for an Aes Sedai to be trained."

4 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

"You said it's been fifty years since saidin was cleansed. That's plenty of time for an Aes Sedai to be trained."

Rue sighed. "You really want everything as blunt as can be, don't you. Yes, I lived through the last battle. I was only an Accepted then, but I was there. What does it matter to you anyway?"

2 minutes ago, Aes Sedai said:

Rue sighed. "You really want everything as blunt as can be, don't you. Yes, I lived through the last battle. I was only an Accepted then, but I was there. What does it matter to you anyway?"

Nameless shrugged. "Can't blame me for wanting bluntness. You Aes Sedai are tricky, regardless of the Three Oaths. And what does it matter to me? I don't know. If I'm going to be stuck with you, I might as well learn more about you. Are you any good at healing? Can you make gateways? How'd you get to the clinic?"

3 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Nameless shrugged. "Can't blame me for wanting bluntness. You Aes Sedai are tricky, regardless of the Three Oaths. And what does it matter to me? I don't know. If I'm going to be stuck with you, I might as well learn more about you. Are you any good at healing? Can you make gateways? How'd you get to the clinic?"

Rue blinked, then started laughing. Hard. If nothing else, he's definitely blunt. "I expect the same answers from you." She cocked her head. "But we all know you can make gateways. I can make them as well, though not to such...peculiar locations as you. Healing...I am no yellow, but I am passable."

3 minutes ago, Aes Sedai said:

Rue blinked, then started laughing. Hard. If nothing else, he's definitely blunt. "I expect the same answers from you." She cocked her head. "But we all know you can make gateways. I can make them as well, though not to such...peculiar locations as you. Healing...I am no yellow, but I am passable."

Nameless raised an eyebrow at Rue's laughter, but otherwise ignored it. "You want to know my skills? Besides gateways, I'm decently skilled at healing. I was training to be a combat medic in the Shara campaign before I... left. I don't have any talents like dreaming, but I can make cuendillar."

3 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Nameless raised an eyebrow at Rue's laughter, but otherwise ignored it. "You want to know my skills? Besides gateways, I'm decently skilled at healing. I was training to be a combat medic in the Shara campaign before I... left. I don't have any talents like dreaming, but I can make cuendillar."

"Cuendillar? Could be useful. I can enter Tel'aran'rhiod any time I sleep," she said smugly, "And I trained with the Aiel for several years as an Accepted." She frowned. "They aren't using Asha'man in the Shara campaign. Some of the blues are arguing for it, but...light. I should have stayed in the Tower."

45 minutes ago, Aes Sedai said:

"Cuendillar? Could be useful. I can enter Tel'aran'rhiod any time I sleep," she said smugly, "And I trained with the Aiel for several years as an Accepted." She frowned. "They aren't using Asha'man in the Shara campaign. Some of the blues are arguing for it, but...light. I should have stayed in the Tower."

Ravelast: Sixth Archive Gatewa

Nameless chuckled. "Asha'man have been fighting in that war since it began. We just did it discreetly for a few decades while the Tower kept quibbling around about nonsense. You expected us to just sit there while people were dying?"

13 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Ravelast: Sixth Archive Gatewa

Nameless chuckled. "Asha'man have been fighting in that war since it began. We just did it discreetly for a few decades while the Tower kept quibbling around about nonsense. You expected us to just sit there while people were dying?"

Rue frowned, feeling her anger growing again. “You’ve done it before. You Asha’man always manage to surprise me with the level of cruelty you casually reach.” She shook her head, forcing her anger down again. 
I need to stop talking to him. He’s only going to make me angrier. 
Rue walked over to Insa. “Are you okay?”

@InfiniteInsanity

Edited by Aes Sedai

11 minutes ago, Aes Sedai said:

Rue frowned, feeling her anger growing again. “You’ve done it before. You Asha’man always manage to surprise me with the level of cruelty you casually reach.” She shook her head, forcing her anger down again. 
I need to stop talking to him. He’s only going to make me angrier. 
Rue walked over to Insa. “Are you okay?”

@InfiniteInsanity

Nameless let Rue go without further comment, walking back towards the pedestal surrounded by sleeping bodies and sitting down. I wonder what an Asha'man did to her that's made her hate us so much. Reaching into his pack, he pulled out a copy of Mistborn: The Hero of Ages, and started reading. That's one upside of being a warder, I suppose. I don't need as much sleep, so I can spend more time reading.