Theories about Auxiliary

Zibus

No, this arrangement could not have been to fill cracks in auxiliary's soul.

AdelRD

Whatever is happening to Sigzil and his spren, is it related to the fact that the Sleepless forbid Rysn to bond a spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Also a good question.

Matt Hatch

I admire all these people. These are great, deep metaphysical questions.

Adam

I am amazed every stream at how little I know. Not how much other people know, but how little I know.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say you are finding out, or Sigzil is finding out first hand part of why that warning was in place. And he didn't get that warning. He should have. Let's say that other people in the Cosmere have been able to do it without it being a problem. And so, you know, if you happen to be an age-old immortal master of multiple arcanum, then you can get away with things that poor people like Sigzil have more trouble with.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/494/#e15587

Clearly, Hoid is keeping secrets from Sigzil. He learned to bond Design despite his torment. He did not tell Sigzil how to bond safely. This may be why Auxiliary is "dead". It is because Sigzil did not know how torments and bonding work.

1 hour ago, The Stick said:

No, this arrangement could not have been to fill cracks in auxiliary's soul.

Clearly, Hoid is keeping secrets from Sigzil. He learned to bond Design despite his torment. He did not tell Sigzil how to bond safely. This may be why Auxiliary is "dead". It is because Sigzil did not know how torments and bonding work.

First of Hoid bonded Design long after he held a Dawnshard, this should have no ill effects, Sizgil was likely bonded when he used his Dawnshard. Secondly, it doesn't disprove my theory - him becoming a Dawnshard might mess up Aux, Deadeye him or something similar, and later he did the same what Adolin is doing right now, trying to revive him, create a reverse Nahel Bond. It's not about a Torment, it's about being a Dawnshard and having a bond with spren - this killed Aux. 

This WoB may explain Aux being the Knight

WeiryWriter

Can a person who dies but somehow hasn't passed Beyond the Three Realms (a la Kelsier) serve in place of a spren for Radiant purposes?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible, but it would require an unusual sequence of events.

WeiryWriter

We know that the Stormfather is a Cognitive Shadow and is also acting as a spren for Dalinar but is he able to do that because the "unusual sequence of events" took place or is there something else going on specific to the nature of the Stormfather?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. :)

Carluun

If Kelsier became a "spren" for a Radiant, would he grant Surgebinding or Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/98/#e853

Argent

Because of Kelsier's status as a Cognitive Shadow we've been wondering what wonky things you can do with him being like that and so-- Hypothetically, purely hypothetically, could a Surgebinder, could somebody form a Nahel bond with him?

Brandon Sanderson

With Kelsier? We'll RAFO that. We will definitely RAFO that for now

Footnote: Brandon has previously stated that this is possible at OdysseyCon 2016

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/332/#e9486

Do we have any theorizing on which unique events will occur Stormlight 5 to know how this works?

Edited by The Stick
Added WoB

3 hours ago, The Stick said:

This WoB may explain Aux being the Knight

No, it doesn't. It talks about CS being a spren, not a knight in this bond. That's different. Kel would still be a spren in that bond and have a knight, not BE the knight.

3 hours ago, The Stick said:

Do we have any theorizing on which unique events will occur Stormlight 5 to know how this works?

I believe Sizgil had a bond, different that currently (iirc), he picked up a Dawnshard, it messed up his soul, in consequence messed up his spren soul and connection between them, deadeye Aux, and here we are. 

• 6 months later...

As far I remember, Sigzil said clearly he was a member of two different orders. It could be anything (he didn't say specifically Radiant Order) but also a reference about Aux not being an honorspren. 

But I thing the main clue is the illustration included in the book, when Aux burn itself to give Sigzil a full radiant power, the symbol represented in the fire (and described by some other character) is from Skybreakers.

So I guess he bounded Aux (highspren) after he ends with Windrunners. We also know that he lead his former order to some disaster in Alezkar so maybe he left them after some kind of trauma.

Aux death is caused when Sigzil overused the dawnshard power as he described in the book. No relationship with oaths breaking. If his former bounding with an honorspren caused the dead of that spren has not been explained (and it is strange for me because I would have expected Sigzil to be guilty about that).

14 minutes ago, duma said:

As far I remember, Sigzil said clearly he was a member of two different orders. It could be anything (he didn't say specifically Radiant Order) but also a reference about Aux not being an honorspren. 

But I thing the main clue is the illustration included in the book, when Aux burn itself to give Sigzil a full radiant power, the symbol represented in the fire (and described by some other character) is from Skybreakers.

So I guess he bounded Aux (highspren) after he ends with Windrunners. We also know that he lead his former order to some disaster in Alezkar so maybe he left them after some kind of trauma.

Aux death is caused when Sigzil overused the dawnshard power as he described in the book. No relationship with oaths breaking. If his former bounding with an honorspren caused the dead of that spren has not been explained (and it is strange for me because I would have expected Sigzil to be guilty about that).

Welcome to the forums. Please note that this thread is old and was based entirely on the preview material. Content for after the book's release can be found in the Spoiler Section here

Note: New book spoiler period is goverened by the Spoiler Policy here (summarized below):

Spoiler

Spoiler and Unpublished Works Policy

• Unpublished work that has not been publicly released by Brandon and his team (including the original manuscript of Dragonsteel), may not be discussed on any 17th Shard platform.
    • Publicly available chapters or samples of unpublished work may be only discussed in the appropriate forum or Discord channel. 
  • If in a book specific forum or channel, you wish to refer to another series please use spoiler markup or, if appropriate, move to a full spoiler channel. A reference to what the spoiler is related to, should also be included. (eg. OB (SPOILER))
    • Forum: The ‘eye’ button will create a spoiler box in which text and images can be added.

Forum

• Stick to the appropriate forum. Check forum board description if you are unsure.
    • Spoiler topics posted in non-spoiler forums must contain ‘Spoiler’ in the topic title.
  • New books can be discussed without spoiler tags in the dedicated new book subforum/area only. 
    • Topic titles should not contain spoilers 
    • You are strongly encouraged to post topics on new works in the new book subforum/area only. If you must reference something in a spoiler period outside those forums, you must spoiler tag it.

Spoiler Period and Spoiler Period Lengths for Forums and Discord:

• Cosmere novels - six months
  • Cosmere everything else - three months
  • Non-cosmere novels - three months 
  • Non-cosmere everything else - one month

Hope that helps.