Reckoners World RPG

Quivil

72230206f5f2647983c1a382187e2ad7.jpg

"Yes I had some inkling as to the recency of your arrival." Neverthere replied with a smile, nodding towards the pile of nearby corpses. "Quick to establish yourself, though I can't precisely commend your choice of locale."

These sewers were truly disgusting, and while there was something to be said for making your enemies uncomfortable it shouldn't come at the expense of always making yourself uncomfortable as well.

"Had any thoughts on something a little more grandiose? You're establishing yourself here and trying to get some level of attention from other Epics so I assume you're trying to either join a faction or set up one of your own?"

She ignored the guards and turned now to face the Epic himself, she still wore a joking smile as though barely taking any of this seriously but her eyes were intent as she watched him. What game was he playing? How large were his ambitions and did he have the appropriate caution to go along with them? How would he change the city and how best could she utilise that? A hundred questions that needed to be answered but they all boiled down to one thing in the end.

How useful is he going to be?

1 hour ago, Tani said:

Rosalin followed. "So this is a scouting mission? No more, no less?" She checked her rifle. "Do you want me on the rooftops or on the streets?"

"The EAEC says we should just scout. Common sense says we should just scout. So tell me, do we want to just scout?" He smiles a little. "Streets. Blend in- a rooftop in a city like this is too exposed."

1 hour ago, Goob said:

"The EAEC says we should just scout. Common sense says we should just scout. So tell me, do we want to just scout?" He smiles a little. "Streets. Blend in- a rooftop in a city like this is too exposed."

"If common sense says scout, I'd rather scout. Live to fight another day and all that." She slung her rifle over her shoulder. "At least, for now." She thought about her words for a bit, then added, "The scouting bit, not the living bit. I'd rather not stop the living bit anytime soon."

Edited by Tani

On 3/8/2022 at 8:28 PM, Tani said:

"If common sense says scout, I'd rather scout. Live to fight another day and all that." She slung her rifle over her shoulder. "At least, for now." She thought about her words for a bit, then added, "The scouting bit, not the living bit. I'd rather not stop the living bit anytime soon."

"I share that sentiment, but this city has so many ripe targets, the temptation is almost to much to bear." He taps his fingers on his side. "But none of that matters for now. We'll die anyway if we charge in blind. I think I'll head down to the sewers- all sorts of scum hides down there. Hopefully some informants as well."

4 hours ago, Goob said:

"I share that sentiment, but this city has so many ripe targets, the temptation is almost to much to bear." He taps his fingers on his side. "But none of that matters for now. We'll die anyway if we charge in blind. I think I'll head down to the sewers- all sorts of scum hides down there. Hopefully some informants as well."

"How many of these targets do you guess you'll recognize?"

ricochet.gif.82b49b7d0526603c37b7817344e268b1.gif

Ricochet was finally here, in the same city as his father.

He still needed a plan, since he had failed to come up with one on the way over.

Edited by Tani

On 3/8/2022 at 6:55 PM, Voidus said:

Had any thoughts on something a little more grandiose? You're establishing yourself here and trying to get some level of attention from other Epics so I assume you're trying to either join a faction or set up one of your own?"

"Believe me, I don't plan to stay down here much longer. For now, it provides an easily-defensible position until I pick a nicer location. As for factions... I'll have to see. Part of why I sent out messengers. It allows me to know more about the Epics in this city, and how they respond to me. If they join me, excellent. If they don't join me, but aren't openly hostile, it's acceptable. I'm sure an arrangement can be reached, as the city is quite large. If they directly oppose me, then I'll deal with them in a quick and violent manner. As I said, I'm willing to patiently see how things play out. However, I must ask the same questions of you. Why are you here in Berlin?" 

"Well." Neverthere began. "There's a few answers to that question, first and foremost because it's the largest and most currently stable city in the region. Unlike some I have little interest in ruling as the head of a tiny state, becoming a target for every new Epic who wants to prove themselves and having to deal with endless attempts by the locals to unseat you. I prefer a more supportive position, less well known. A provider of information I suppose you could call it?"

She smiled at Crystallix, letting that point and the potential offer it contained hang in the air for a minute before her eyes became distant and a little regretful.

"And secondly because my previous city of residence and indeed the entire state it was in were reduced to little more than a wasteland. After that the Fractured States didn't quite feel like the place to be, so I hopped across the Atlantic." She said, performing a little hop towards Crystallix herself for dramatic effect before gliding slowly back to the ground perhaps an inch away from him. "So. Crystallix, what plans do you have for the city? Will you lead or will you serve? Or will you carve out a section of the city and be content while others wage war to take the entire thing?"

Damien popped into existence opened the door that lead onto the roof. "What're y’all taking about?"

Desolation walked forward towards the flock of birds, his power held in a shield around him, covering all but the bottom of his feet and his eyes. As he approached, the flock took off by some unspoken single, causing Desolation to break into a run. He gathered his power, closer, closer, release. A shadow flew towards the birds. First it touched one, destroying it in an instant, then another, within seconds it consumed the whole flock. Desolation smiled. Another epic dealt with. Soon, he there would come a time for him to kill Ironwall. It couldn't come soon enough.

RICOCHET.gif.1951cbce8229ea8d100743d81133222c.gif

Ricochet didn't really need a plan, did he? He could probably do this without one... right? He just had to do something. He approached one of the people on the street to ask about Epics and the person hurried away. Huh.

The next person did that too.

And the next, and the next, and the next...

BUG.thumb.png.0d05297124bcbe707507742282bb7ef3.png

Bug very, very carefully crept over the top of the doorway and into Crystallix's lair while he was distracted talking to Neverthere.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Aon said:

Damien popped into existence opened the door that lead onto the roof. "What're y’all taking about?"

"We're talking about Berlin and Epics and survival and scouting. How many Epics do you think you'll recognize here?"

Edited by Tani

What language is everyone speaking? German? 

Damien could speak German, but right now he only speaks English and Japanese. 

"Well, if you see a space of black nothingness, you run. Otherwise, I doubt I'd recognize anyone." Unless he's here. There's no reason for him to be, but he could be, I suppose. "Zeke, have you figured out the weakness of anyone prominent yet?"

Desolation fell. Through the ceiling of the building he was on, through the floor of the building, through the cellar, the sewer system beneath, then finally, into total darkness. He knew exactly how deep he needed to be. Stopping his power at his feet, he walked forward, dissolving the dirt and gravel in front of him. Eventually, he stepped through the wall into a well lit cavern, made completely with his power.

Edited by The Unknown Aon

10 hours ago, The Unknown Aon said:

"Well, if you see a space of black nothingness, you run. Otherwise, I doubt I'd recognize anyone." Unless he's here. There's no reason for him to be, but he could be, I suppose. "Zeke, have you figured out the weakness of anyone prominent yet?"

"Zeke? Who do you mean?" She was silent for a moment as the rest of his words sank in. "Wait. He's here?" Her voice quivered a bit, and her eyes hardened.

Ace watched as David, no as Compound, exited the building through one of the back walls, he was wearing his mask, it meant that Compound meant business. He thought on that for a moment, he couldn't run anymore, each time David had found them he did so quicker, they were running out of places to hide, and time to find more was even scarcer. Somehow he knew only one of them would leave Berlin alive, one of them was going to fall, and it would be by the other’s hand.

He heard a sound behind and spun, but it was just one of the few sickly birds that called this roof home. He reached into his bag and pulled out the thing he had risked his life for: the crown. He held it towards the light, watching as it sparkled. Then he threw it, it spun as it fell, the light glinting off its surface as it tumbled and returned to his hands.

What am I to do? He thought, I dont have my team, I dont have money, and I have to face an epic with nothing but a gun just to stop one other epic conquering more of England. 

He shook his head, he knew that three of those problems he had caused himself; He had sent his team away, back to the UK to protect them, and had given them most of his equipment and money. He knew that there was an organisation who operated in much of northern and western Europe, he just hoped they were operating in this city right now, and that he'd be able to find them.

He walked up the roof to the broken skylight and jumped through, thinking about the search ahead.

Edited by Skaromas

On 3/10/2022 at 5:30 PM, Tani said:

"How many of these targets do you guess you'll recognize?"

"I know there should be at least one old friend lurking down there. And with a little cash, I can probably make some more." He sighs "Can't say I'm anticipating it much. Sewers are still sewers, even after Calamity."

10 hours ago, Tani said:

"Zeke? Who do you mean?" She was silent for a moment as the rest of his words sank in. "Wait. He's here?" Her voice quivered a bit, and her eyes hardened.

"Zeke," Damien nods towards Czykyi. "Who? Desolation? Of course he's here, he controls more than half the city."

26 minutes ago, The Unknown Aon said:

"Zeke," Damien nods towards Czykyi. "Who? Desolation? Of course he's here, he controls more than half the city."

Cibor clenches his fists at the mention of Desolation, but keeps it hidden from his two companions. He had told them the story of how he found Lublin but did not yet mention his alterior motives for coming to Berlin.

"Can't say we've even started, Damien. I was just about to head down to the sewers. Want to come with?"

"What's in the sewers?" Rosalin asked.

Ricochet realized why everyone was running. He was obviously an Epic, with his whole self turned into something far more durable than flesh. He mentally rolled his eyes at himself and released the transformation.

After that it was easy to find a person who would talk to him. "I'm new here. Are you willing to tell me of the current Epic politics of this city? Epic territories, places to avoid like the plague, stuff like that?"

Anyone else want to steal a Crowd member for this, or should I just awkwardly talk to myself? (fair warning, I'll probably be unresponsive for a few days.)

On 3/10/2022 at 7:20 PM, Voidus said:

"Well." Neverthere began. "There's a few answers to that question, first and foremost because it's the largest and most currently stable city in the region. Unlike some I have little interest in ruling as the head of a tiny state, becoming a target for every new Epic who wants to prove themselves and having to deal with endless attempts by the locals to unseat you. I prefer a more supportive position, less well known. A provider of information I suppose you could call it?"

She smiled at Crystallix, letting that point and the potential offer it contained hang in the air for a minute before her eyes became distant and a little regretful.

"And secondly because my previous city of residence and indeed the entire state it was in were reduced to little more than a wasteland. After that the Fractured States didn't quite feel like the place to be, so I hopped across the Atlantic." She said, performing a little hop towards Crystallix herself for dramatic effect before gliding slowly back to the ground perhaps an inch away from him. "So. Crystallix, what plans do you have for the city? Will you lead or will you serve? Or will you carve out a section of the city and be content while others wage war to take the entire thing?"

Crystallix regarded Neverthere. Too many questions, too vague with her own answers. I'll have to keep an eye on this one. "You make a good point about the dangers of staking a claim. This is one of the advantages of temporarily dwelling here. It's not exactly desirable. I plan to move to a better position once I have a better grasp on the Epics in the city, and where they stand. For now, this is a good strategic position. You keep asking me questions. You don't seem keen on attacking me, at least not at this moment. Do you want to join with me? I could be convinced to share power with you, if you wish it. I assume you're not willing to serve under me, as I gauge you are powerful. I will not, however, serve under you. Either you work with me, you work for me, or you can leave."

Neverthere gave a delicate laugh at that, letting the sound echo around the chamber for a moment before covering her mouth and stifling the rest. Thankfully her companion in conversation was not a complete fool, Epics who were also idiots were some of her least favourite conversations. Much better to find someone with at least half a brain and have them deal with the more troublesome individuals.

"Oh I never expected you to serve under me." She said with a smile. "As I said, I'm not interested in taking up a direct position of rulership myself. No matter what you do to discourage it, someone is going to come along thinking they can take the position from you by force."

She gave a pointed look at the crystalline structure, presumably another Epic that Crystallix had decided to usurp.

"As for why I'm asking questions, I like to know what's happening in the city. And to know whether or not somebody is going to be a problem for me, or an opportunity. I do so love to make new friends after all."

She shifted slightly to look to one of the guards, giving them a smile sweeter than sugar. His deep discomfort at it was very satisfying. A good reminder as always, that violence was not the only tool that could be used to keep underlings inline. Something that all too many would-be rulers would do well to keep in mind.

"But I've taken enough of your time for today. Perhaps some other time we can discuss these matters further, but as ever there is work to be about."

She gave a mock curtsey, thin hands grasping at the misty, immaterial fabric of her dress and drawing it wide. And with one final smile she vanished from the room.

13 hours ago, Tani said:

"What's in the sewers?" Rosalin asked.

"Informants. People like that like to stay away from power, and no self-respecting or sane Epic would set up in the sewers. Plus my old friend that I mentioned is likely down there."

Crystallix was intrigued by Neverthere. She was intelligent, and not rash. Useful qualities. Crystallix sat back on his thrown. Crystal wasn’t particularly comfortable. “You two.” Crystallix ordered, pointing at 2 of his 5 men in the room. “I shall require a more comfortable chair. And you,” he pointed at a third man. “I shall require…. A shrubbery.”

8 hours ago, #1 Taln Fan said:

Crystallix was intrigued by Neverthere. She was intelligent, and not rash. Useful qualities. Crystallix sat back on his thrown. Crystal wasn’t particularly comfortable. “You two.” Crystallix ordered, pointing at 2 of his 5 men in the room. “I shall require a more comfortable chair. And you,” he pointed at a third man. “I shall require…. A shrubbery.”

Ni!

9 hours ago, Goob said:

"Informants. People like that like to stay away from power, and no self-respecting or sane Epic would set up in the sewers. Plus my old friend that I mentioned is likely down there."

"Plus they tend to be the safest way to get anywhere."

On 3/11/2022 at 11:16 PM, #1 Taln Fan said:

Crystallix regarded Neverthere. Too many questions, too vague with her own answers. I'll have to keep an eye on this one. "You make a good point about the dangers of staking a claim. This is one of the advantages of temporarily dwelling here. It's not exactly desirable. I plan to move to a better position once I have a better grasp on the Epics in the city, and where they stand. For now, this is a good strategic position. You keep asking me questions. You don't seem keen on attacking me, at least not at this moment. Do you want to join with me? I could be convinced to share power with you, if you wish it. I assume you're not willing to serve under me, as I gauge you are powerful. I will not, however, serve under you. Either you work with me, you work for me, or you can leave."

Bug dropped to the floor in a place nobody could see her, curiosity overcoming fear. This conversation sounded interesting, but Crystallix's methods were strange, and she wanted to poke at the rock and see what hid underneath. "I'm only talking to you now because you seem reasonable, and not stark raving mad like some others I've seen. Earlier you mentioned wanting to know more about the Epic politics of this city. Why send your men as messengers with a message to join or die? Why not ask the Nons? That's what most of us did, and their information was almost always accurate."

On 3/12/2022 at 9:20 PM, The Unknown Novel said:

"Plus they tend to be the safest way to get anywhere."

"Exactly. Rosalin, I'll meet back up with you right here, alright?" He turns and walks north. "C'mon Damien, the nearest sewer entrance is this way."