Unimportant Cosmere Theories

Ashspren

I know everyone on here has a bunch of ideas about the important details: the inner workings of the Cosmere, Realmatic Theory, critical uses of Investiture, and more. But I'm curious... 

What theories/headcanons do you have that are largely unimportant to the overall storyline, or that are just for fun? 

There is a secret society of Mer-people Kandra who live in the oceans of Scadrial.

They have a benevolent leader who escaped the final empire by eating a shark and swimming away. He ate fish in the oceans that had adapted to the boiling hot oceans and mimicked their adaptations, so that he could travel to the south pole. The south pole Scadrians worshipped him for a while and he helped guide them and teach them and would often change his face to weird and funny expressions. (No one can say whether this inspired masks or not)

The benevolent leader returned during a later period in the Lord Ruler's Reign and recruited future Mer-Kandra.

They call their benevolent leader Kandrafish and that benevolent leader is me.

Also, Kwaan (Rashek's Uncle) escaped off-world and brought many Terris people with him. This is after he refuses Rashek's offer to be a kandra and argues that Rashek should not be conquering the entire world, but realizes that he cannot stop him.

There might be a small population of Terris people living on another cosmere world now.

(I think Kwaan is awesome. Ruin's plans were foiled by a Terris man's eidetic memory. He deserves a better legacy than Rashek.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, ShardlessVessel said:

There's a planet with a magic system that only works if you don't believe in it. If you acknowledge that the magic is happening, it stops working.

Oooh, this reminds me of the book Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. Essentially, the magic system boils down to colloquialisms and common phrases. (For example, if you wanted to clean something, you would use "clean as a whistle" or "spick and span." My personal favorite is probably "these are not the droids you're looking for" to hide something.)

I've been wanting one of the Cosmere books to tackle something similar to this for a while now––I think it would play into a lot of really cool themes regarding Intent, too. Maybe something will happen with one of the Shards we don't know that well yet, like Whimsy, which sort of implies a lack of Intent. Something like that could be super interesting... 

16 is just Adonalsium after he was shattered from the shards. Now he is wandering the cosmere with no specific purpose other than to see it all and experience as much as he can. (Sort of like [Wheel of Time Spoiler] 

Spoiler

Rand after he is put into Moridin and leaves with only a few people knowing who he is. 

On 2/3/2022 at 3:26 AM, Kandrafish said:

There is a secret society of Mer-people Kandra who live in the oceans of Scadrial.

They have a benevolent leader who escaped the final empire by eating a shark and swimming away. He ate fish in the oceans that had adapted to the boiling hot oceans and mimicked their adaptations, so that he could travel to the south pole. The south pole Scadrians worshipped him for a while and he helped guide them and teach them and would often change his face to weird and funny expressions. (No one can say whether this inspired masks or not)

The benevolent leader returned during a later period in the Lord Ruler's Reign and recruited future Mer-Kandra.

They call their benevolent leader Kandrafish and that benevolent leader is me.

I actually wondered about this when OreSeur/TenSoon talked about how the kandra were forced to serve humans because of their fear of Allomancers... it occured to me that kandra's extreme shifting ability would let them survive in places humans can't, including underwater. That made me think of a villain for the Mistborn RPG who was a Rogue Kandra who hid out as a fish for centuries while everyone assumed he was dead, went crazy due to adding extra hemalurgic spikes plus centuries of isolation, and turned into a weird chimeric shark-man monster who terrorized shipping in the Southern Islands dominance.

21 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

I actually wondered about this when OreSeur/TenSoon talked about how the kandra were forced to serve humans because of their fear of Allomancers... it occured to me that kandra's extreme shifting ability would let them survive in places humans can't, including underwater. That made me think of a villain for the Mistborn RPG who was a Rogue Kandra who hid out as a fish for centuries while everyone assumed he was dead, went crazy due to adding extra hemalurgic spikes plus centuries of isolation, and turned into a weird chimeric shark-man monster who terrorized shipping in the Southern Islands dominance.

Yeah, that was my same thought! When I read the first Mistborn Trilogy I thought "If I were a Kandra, I would just eat a shark and swim off into the ocean, or even just hide in a lake for a while."

(The Lord Ruler got rid of all of the Feruchemists who could breath under water)

I think whenever we get a glimpse into the inner-workings of the 17th shard, we're going to find that most of the characters working there are (at least based on) people who work at/with the irl 17th shard platforms (moderators, administrators, coppermind editors etc.) in the same way that Bridge 4 is composed of people based on Brandon's friends.