Combining Shards

lukaash

So I really like the idea of combining shards/light to create investiture with new intent. I am going to be referring to shards only, but this applies to light as well. We just don't know the names of all of the different varieties of light. This is going to be a list of possible combinations. None of these have a lot of thought because the combinations of shards are very different results. It really depends on the environment and the person. Someone else could have picked up Ruin and Preservation to create disharmony or another intent entirely. Last note, if I talk about a shard that we don't have any information for, I am just using the definition of the word for the intent of the shard. Suggestions and different ideas are totally welcome.

The ones we know are cultivation and honor makes science. Honor and odium makes war. Ruin and Preservation makes harmony. 

• Dominion and Odium could create leadership. You have the dominion over people and the passion of a king. 
  • I could see dominion and honor also creating leadership. You have the dominion over the people and the bond to the people.
  • Devotion and Honor could create loyalty. You have the devotion to something and you are never going to betray it because that would be breaking an oath ie Honor.
  • Endowment and ambition is an interesting combination that I am now so sure about. Maybe it could be something like using gifts effectively. Endowment would give the gift giving part while ambition is using it as effectively as possible.
  • Autonomy and Cultivation could create something like isolationism. This kinda comes from Autonomy's current intent, but it goes even further. It is the idea that they have to let everything grow on its own.
  • Mercy and Odium could create empathy. This one is a shot in the dark as we don't really know what Mercy's intent is, but this is a possible combination.
  • Ruin and Odium could create destruction.
  • Ruin and cultivation could create decay. Ruin is already very similar to decay, but it isn't exactly decay. 
  • Honor and endowment could have an intent like giving gifts for people who do the right thing. Responsibility rewards 
  • I think that Honor and Valor could also create war. 
  • Whismy and cultivation could have an intent to be creating and growing happiness (like getting new hobbies and trying new things)
  • Whismy and preservation could have an intent to be keeping happiness
  • Whismy and ruin could have the intent to destroy happiness.
  • Endowment and ruin could create equality. You destroy the gifts that make people unequal. This combination could also create something like the gifts passing away slowly
  • Mercy and preservation could become life.

These are the ones that are standing out to me. I also really want to point out that Honor, cultivation, and invention would be an interesting combination if 3 shards can even be combined or if three shards light could be mixed. 

I made a few of these up a while ago, here you go:

Devotion+Dominion=Deference, is a D word and aligns with both of them.

Mercy+Odium=Retribution, deals with the offensive part of forgiveness. This one scares me.

Ruin+Valor=Defiance. You need to be brave to want to start anew/pull something down.

Autonomy+Endowment=Unconstrained

Ambition+Whimsy=Enthusiasm, this one is just fun.

Cultivation+Invention=Enlightenment

Honor+Preservation=Salvation

Whimsy+Odium =Mania

I made these a few months ago, so I am not sure I stand by all of them now.

Speaking of the light combinations...I find Towerlight very wierd. It seems like it's name was very...functional. Like It is called that because it works in a tower, not because the combinations together should equal the....meanings of a tower? If that makes any sense. When I think of a Tower, I always think of the Tower tarot card, which doesn't really fit a mix of Cultivation/Honor(atleast not Honor). I guess that if it doesn't fit, it means like...a symbol that is growing but...controlled? I would really like to ask Brandon about the particular naming of that Light. Because to me, Warlight makes sense, but Towerlight seems a little off.

That is a good question. I don't think I have necessarily have an answer to it, but I always thought that the intent and setting mattered for combining light. There are a couple WoB that say that (see below), but it hasn't been confirmed. The setting is important for combinding light. I always thought it was weird that no one wondered why war light was created outside of war time. In a war, the light is going to naturally become warlight. Towerlight is something similar. The combination in this instance is tower light more because it is being created in the tower. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/adv_search/?query=Kelsier+holding+ruin+and+preservation&date_from=1998-04-10&date_to=2022-01-06&speaker=&tags=harmony&ordering=rank

I figured Towerlight was called that because it is the Sibling's Light, Honor + Cultivation, and the Sibling is manifested in the tower of Urithiru.

I think it's just a name, not an Intent like the names of Shards are.

So I am not sure that Honor + Odium is necessarily "War" as an Intent, either. It certainly *could* be, but it could be just a name referencing Honor and Odium being at war on Roshar (with the Desolations).

I feel like War as an actual Intent would need Valor in there too... might actually fit better as Valor + Ruin. Honor's Intent is oaths and bonds, not so much courage and glory, imo.

On 1/6/2022 at 2:19 PM, cometaryorbit said:

I think it's just a name, not an Intent like the names of Shards are.

See, this is interesting. Because then I have to ask if their names came first or the intention, I think it was the intention and the shards were named after the intentions (with the except of Odium because he didn't want to be called Angry or A God's Fury).

For the towerlight, what I think about is what would happen if the sibling was out of the tower. I would not make any sense for it to be tower light, so the combination of light would have to be called something different. On a similar note, if Odium and Honor weren't at war, would warlight be warlight? Would it be called something else? The investiture from the shard is still the same, but the context in which the light gets its' intent is very specific. 

I also agree with you in the sense of war. It would be weird if War didn't involve Valor in some extent. Or mabye valor has a different intent that what is expected. I always think of Ruin and how it is much more decay than destruction.

I really want to talk about intent involving light because this is how anti-light is created. Intent does matter because you need to be planning on making anti-light. You can't make it accidentally. So, intent does matter when you are tying to produce light. This may not be the same rule if you are trying to combine two different investitures, but it could be similar. If this is the case, then you would end up with the ability to modify investiture's intent. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 7:22 PM, apepi said:

I made a few of these up a while ago, here you go:

Devotion+Dominion=Deference, is a D word and aligns with both of them.

Mercy+Odium=Retribution, deals with the offensive part of forgiveness. This one scares me.

Ruin+Valor=Defiance. You need to be brave to want to start anew/pull something down.

Autonomy+Endowment=Unconstrained

Ambition+Whimsy=Enthusiasm, this one is just fun.

Cultivation+Invention=Enlightenment

Honor+Preservation=Salvation

Whimsy+Odium =Mania

I made these a few months ago, so I am not sure I stand by all of them now.

Speaking of the light combinations...I find Towerlight very wierd. It seems like it's name was very...functional. Like It is called that because it works in a tower, not because the combinations together should equal the....meanings of a tower? If that makes any sense. When I think of a Tower, I always think of the Tower tarot card, which doesn't really fit a mix of Cultivation/Honor(atleast not Honor). I guess that if it doesn't fit, it means like...a symbol that is growing but...controlled? I would really like to ask Brandon about the particular naming of that Light. Because to me, Warlight makes sense, but Towerlight seems a little off.

Towerlight would probably be like growing into oaths and responsibility

On 1/8/2022 at 11:47 PM, lukaash said:

See, this is interesting. Because then I have to ask if their names came first or the intention, I think it was the intention and the shards were named after the intentions (with the except of Odium because he didn't want to be called Angry or A God's Fury).

I think it's kind of both... Vin just seems to know the name Ruin after encountering it at the Well (I think she even implies Ruin was her personal name for it, something like "the force she called Ruin" or something - but it clearly calls itself Ruin also). I think a Shard is so strongly a manifestation of its concept that the name is just obvious.

Did Odium choose that name? I thought he wanted to be called Passion but uses Odium because everyone else does.

Ideas for combinations that I've already come up with:

Ruin + Preservation = Harmony. Confirmed.

Honor + Odium = Vengeance. Would be something like the oath/promise to act on hate.

Ambition + Invention = Creation. Invention with reason.

Endowment + Autonomy = Freedom. Giving autonomy, or freedom.

Dominion + Devotion = Control. They have the devotion of others and can dominate over them.

Whismy + Cultivation = Idleness. I feel like cultivation with a lot of shards would be a 'stronger' version of the second shard.

Valor + Wisdom (if that is indeed a shard) = Strength. I need to think of a better word that means a combination of courage and brains.