• The Family Madrigal
    • Waiting On A Miracle
    • Surface Pressure
    • We Don't Talk About Bruno
    • What Else Can I Do?
    • Dos Oruguitas
    • All Of You
    • Columbia, Mi Encanto

I’ve been thinking more about all the characters from this movie and one interesting idea came up about Camilo. Given all of them seem to have some issues related to their gift, I wonder if he has a really big struggle with his sense of self. Like he can shapeshift and be anyone and is constantly asked to become someone else to get a job done. How do you learn about who you are when you aren’t allowed to really just be that person? 

That's what I was thinking about Dolores. I think it's possible that a lot of her hardship with her powers is people who are afraid of her hearing their secrets. Also just all the sound all the time would be awful.

19 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

That's what I was thinking about Dolores. I think it's possible that a lot of her hardship with her powers is people who are afraid of her hearing their secrets. Also just all the sound all the time would be awful.

Dolores needs Spook’s advice about how to focus on what is important and time everything else out. I just saw a really cool idea that Dolores knew Bruno was still in the house the whole time and I really liked it. It’s by someone named Wilbert Cordel Kizer Moore and they have some awesome takes on the whole movie. 

7 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

...she says that she did at the end. During the song All of You, she says "yo I knew he never left I heard him every day"

Yeah. I didn’t love that 100% in the movie because she is clearly terrible at keeping secrets. But the one discussion I’ve mentioned and a few others I’ve seen addressed it in a way I find satisfactory now. Basically she probably tried mentioning it as a kid right after he left but “We don’t talk about Bruno” and she got shut down and dismissed every time she brought it up so she just let it go. 

16 hours ago, Philomath said:

Yeah. I didn’t love that 100% in the movie because she is clearly terrible at keeping secrets. But the one discussion I’ve mentioned and a few others I’ve seen addressed it in a way I find satisfactory now. Basically she probably tried mentioning it as a kid right after he left but “We don’t talk about Bruno” and she got shut down and dismissed every time she brought it up so she just let it go. 

Or

Maybe she just pretends to be bad at keeping secrets

She probably hates people hating her for knowing their secrets, so if she gives away secrets that no one would really blame her for giving away, then if she doesn't give away secrets, people will assume she doesn't know their secrets, and therefore they won't hate her.

With Bruno, it's a secret that she respects because she probably knows that living the way he was would be awful, with everyone hating him for his gift, and she GETS THAT so she keeps his secret.

That's my theory, anyways.

Edited by DramaQueen

On 1/9/2022 at 6:03 PM, Philomath said:

Dolores needs Spook’s advice about how to focus on what is important and time everything else out. I just saw a really cool idea that Dolores knew Bruno was still in the house the whole time and I really liked it. It’s by someone named Wilbert Cordel Kizer Moore and they have some awesome takes on the whole movie. 

A Tiktoker named Nicque Marina is doing videos of Dolores reacting to Bruno's rat telenovelas. Her videos are pretty explicit, but it's also really funny. 

On 1/11/2022 at 9:24 AM, AonDoor said:

Antonio's and Isabella's rooms correspond with their gifts. What do the other rooms look like? Is Dolores's full of speakers? Is Luisa's a gym? Is Camilo's filled with mannequins? Is Pepa's the great outdoors? Let's theorize.

Also with this

I don't think Dolores would have speakers; that would be too much noise. She doesn't need speakers to hear things.

"What would she have, then?" you ask

Not a clue.

Isabella has the perfect flowers, not the ones that really show who she wants to be, so I don't necessarily think Dolores would have soundproofing stuff. Maybe she'd have smaller sounds, not speakers, but just magical sounds that kind of would help drown out the everything outside. Like a burbling stream or a waterfall or the wind whistling through the trees. Kind of like a white noise machine? But lots of different sounds and then she could practice focusing on one thing at a time. 

I feel like Camilo would totally just have a bunch of hilarious disguises, even though he doesn't need them. Like he'd have the biggest hat collection in the world. Also crazy socks. And he'd probably have a lot of fancy gloves but he would never let anyone find out.

I think Pepa's as the great outdoors would be cool. Like the most calm, serene place ever.

Okay Julietta's gift I actually really like a lot. None of the other Madrigals don't have to do anything normally to use their magic, they just do it. Camilo just shapeshifts. Isabella just grows stuff. Dolores just hears. Pepa has emotions and stuff happens. Louisa is just automatically super strong. Julietta actually has to bake stuff LIKE A NORMAL HUMAN before she can heal anything. Her room's probably like a kitchen that always smells like freshly-baked arepas.

Louisa would have some kind of gym or something idk. Kind of like Casita's treadmill that you see during the first song.

Okay yep those are my theories on that thanks.

ALSO I JUST SAW A THEORY ABOUT CAMILO'S POWER CRISIS. HE ONLY FEELS USEFUL WHEN HE'S SOMEONE ELSE. HE HAS TO CHANGE TO USE HIS POWERS FOR GOOD. WHEN HE'S JUST CAMILO, HE'S AS POWERLESS AS MIRABEL. POOR FRIGGIN LAD.

Edited by DramaQueen

Another thought to add to the whole Dolores knowing Bruno was in the house the whole time - during her part of We Don't Talk about Bruno, if you look in the background you can definitely see Bruno sneaking around, and even grooving to the song at one point. It's interesting too because Maribel keeps being about to look around and then Dolores pulls her close and redirects her attention, which would make sense if Dolores knew Bruno's secret and was trying to help keep it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 1:39 PM, #1 Taln Fan said:

Watched it the other night and enjoyed it! Keep listening to the soundtrack lol.

I want to make a Smedry parody of The Family Madrigal, but have to make the chorus work…

YES. maybe "now you know the Smeeedry familyyyyy"

Edited by Ookla the Theoretical
I had more to say

Wait, I just realized.

Mirabel - Bondsmith (unite the family)

Abuela - Skybreaker (follow the rules)

Luisa - Stoneward (good ol' reliable)

Isabella - Lightweaver (keep appearances)

Julieta - Edgedancer (*healing*)

Dolores - Truthwatcher (Knows the secrets, can't keep them secret)

Pepa - Dustbringer (Has to exercise constant self-mastery to not accidentally kill people with her mood)

Bruno - Windrunner (I know his powerset per se is more like corrupted truthwatcher, but his actual actions (I will protect people from myself) is more windrunnerish)

Antonio - Willshaper (freedom of the wild)

Camilo - Ok we *honestly* don't know enough about Camilo to give him an order, he's like the least explored character in the entire musical. I guess Elsecaller is left but that doesn't work.

Just now, CryoZenith said:

Wait, I just realized.

Pepa - Dustbringer (Has to exercise constant self-mastery to not accidentally kill people with her mood)

Bruno - Windrunner (I know his powerset per se is more like corrupted truthwatcher, but his actual actions (I will protect people from myself) is more windrunnerish)

Camilo - Ok we *honestly* don't know enough about Camilo to give him an order, he's like the least explored character in the entire musical. I guess Elsecaller is left but that doesn't work.

whoa! that makes a ton of sense. I think it is great.

26 minutes ago, CryoZenith said:

Wait, I just realized.

This is yes

(your comment on Dolores does kinda bother me just cuz I'm of the opinion that she can keep secrets, she just makes everyone think she can't. I go into more detail in another comment somewhere here)

6 hours ago, CryoZenith said:

Wait, I just realized.

*brain explodes*

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 1:39 PM, #1 Taln Fan said:

Watched it the other night and enjoyed it! Keep listening to the soundtrack lol.

I want to make a Smedry parody of The Family Madrigal, but have to make the chorus work…

Hmm, The Family of Smedries? Or maybe This Family of Smedries? Now you know the...eeeh I dunno if that works. Maybe if you just swap the words and put emphasis on different parts - fam-il-y not fam-ly - it'd work...now you know the Sme-dry fam-i-ly? 

Just found this thread, read it all, and want to submit my headcanon that Dolores's hearing doesn't actually hurt her, it's just very distracting/a relations problem when it comes to knowing things she shouldn't or doesn't want to. 

Also yeah Queen, I'd love to hear the song if you write it!