• Waiting On A Miracle
    • Surface Pressure
    • We Don't Talk About Bruno
    • What Else Can I Do?
    • Dos Oruguitas
    • All Of You
    • Columbia, Mi Encanto

Heyo!!

I recently watched Encanto and really enjoyed it. The story's cute, the characters are fun, and the songs won't leave my head. Seriously, I don't think I've had a single non-Encanto song stuck in my head since I watched it. The main songs that keep coming back are We Don't Talk About Bruno, Surface Pressure, and The Family Madrigal, my favorite being We Don't Talk About Bruno.

My favorite character was definitely Delores, and I wish she'd gotten a solo song, since her voice is absolutely GORGEOUS.

So yeah! Vote in the poll and chat about the movie!

Edited by DramaQueen

I can finally gush about this movie.

From the trailers, I thought it was going to be some high adventure movie about finding the problem with the Casita, and was kinda disappointed when it wasn’t exactly that. But as I look back on the movie, it’s obvious that they could’ve easily made that kind of movie, but they made it more focused on the family and what was going on between them all. There are plenty of movies where there’s a pitch perfect family with nothing going on behind the scenes, but this movie took that focus on the family––even though they didn’t have the time to focus on each of the members.

This movie is so good! I love it. Love the themes. Love that there wasn’t a real “villain” causing problems but that they needed to heal themselves to solve their problems. Mirabel may not have had a “gift” but she definitely had the skills to listen and be safe for her family members to open up to eventually. Which is huge. I talked about the movie with my oldest son (8) after we saw it and I was super impressed with how well he grasped it. He loves it. Also, yeah let’s break open that “perfect family” idea. And I just also love that we are telling diverse stories about diverse cultures. And letting the language be diverse too. I honestly think Bruno may be my favorite character because of what he was willing to sacrifice for his family. His story broke my heart. Love how they developed then revealed him. The songs are all great, but Dos Oruguitas playing during Abuela’s flashback is so sweet and sad. (Check out a translation of it if you haven’t already.)

I loved this movie. It’s one I’m actually glad to have music from in my head. I think Mirabel is my favorite character just for screen time alone, but Delores is definitely underutilized, and would be my favorite with just a few more lines. Her character as someone who hears everything is so interesting, and I will definitely write something with that concept eventually. Going back and picking up the subtle hints in the Bruno song she drops about being able to hear him now.

And Isabella is also a great character. Luisa has a better song, but she is my favorite sister of the two, and What Else Can I Do is my second favorite song of the movie.

OH OH OH OH OH THAT REMINDS ME IF YOU GO BACK AND WATCH DELORES'S FIRST PART IN WE DON'T TALK ABOUT BRUNO YOU CAN SEE BRUNO IN THE BACKGROUND

And yeah, I really liked Isabella, too. Once I realized she wasn't actually a rude primadonna brat.

Oh also I've thought about writing Delores a solo song focusing on everything she hears and how hard it must be to hear everything all the time. It'll prolly be called Voices In My Head if I end up writing it...

Edited by DramaQueen
Edit 1: had to add Isabella opinions, edit 2: had to tell about my Delores song

24 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

OH OH OH OH OH THAT REMINDS ME IF YOU GO BACK AND WATCH DELORES'S FIRST PART IN WE DON'T TALK ABOUT BRUNO YOU CAN SEE BRUNO IN THE BACKGROUND

Oh man. I just watched for this and you’re right. What a fun catch. 

Oh yeah. I forgot in my earlier post to mention how awesome I think Antonio and Mirabel’s relationship is. He’s the only one who really accepts her. And sees value and worth in her from the beginning. You go Antonio!

K, I want to give my opinion on who my favorite characters and songs were, because I didn’t do it earlier for reasons that I was too busy and head was hurting at the time.

My favorite characters are Luisa, Pepa, and Camilo; well, actually, I love them all in their own separate ways and could go on and on about how good they are which I may or may not do in the future, but these characters stood out to me the most.

Luisa actually reminds me of myself. If any of you know me in real life which only two members on the Shard actually do, then you will know that I have been often been defined as a strong person; not physically, but like mentally or spiritually. When something freaks Luisa out, she does so silently and continues to push through and kind of pretend to be strong in the mental sort of way; and if you haven’t guessed it yet, I do the same. Now, I am nowhere near being the oldest sibling in my family, but I still feel that pressure from my parents and family when I am trying to do something that my brothers have already done and seems like it was not that hard. Where I mostly relate and connect to Luisa is in her song, “Surface Pressure,” which I will get to in a bit.

Pepa is basically my anxiety personified. Like Pepa, I get very overwhelmed, one anxious thought leads to another, and it kinda shows every once in a while when people see me in person. But I am not forced by someone else to hide all of those emotions, but I force myself to hide them and basically pretend that I’m happy and everything is calm and I am fine. I also love her and Félix as a couple, because when Pepa is feeling that anxiety and basically going into a panic attack, Félix is there and comforting her during that time. I actually do have a few people like that in my life, and I’m so frickn’ grateful for what they do because of that. And honestly, Pepa and Félix are so adorable together. When I saw that clip of “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” that Disney released a few months back, I was shipping them so hard.

And Camilo… What do I like about him? He’s just an icon lol. I honestly love his part in “We Don’t Talk About Bruno,” and even though I didn’t know who was singing it when I first heard it I listened to the song before watching the movie, it was probably one, if not my favorite part of the song. He’s also very pleasing to look at; animation wise, that is. Most, if not all his lines are beautiful lol.

As for my favorite songs––and I’m sure it’ll come to no surprise to you––are “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” and “Surface Pressure.”

“We Don’t Talk About Bruno” actually gives me broadway vibes, if you can understand that lol. It’s like the opening number in the Anastasia movie done by 20th Century Fox: Everything feels like it’s on a stage and you can’t help but feel like you’re being sucked into the world and understanding each part. I love how most of the Madrigals got their own part in this song and how we can understand them and why they may or may not like Bruno. It’s honestly slaps super hard, and I believe basically everyone who has heard it can agree with me on that statement lol.

And “Surface Pressure.” Oh, “Surface Pressure.” When I was first watched the movie, I really liked the beat and some of the lyrics, even though some of them made me understand her a bit more than I did before. It has a great beat and I honestly loved it. But when I went back to the song after finishing the movie, I realized how relatable the lyrics are; at least, to me. I’ll go over a few of them.

• “I’m pretty sure I’m worthless if I can’t be of service” –– My basic philosophy when it comes to doing anything is: “If I’m not doing anything productive or important, then I’m being lazy,” so of course, I put that all on my self-worth, which is something that you should not do.
  • “Under the surface. I hide my nerves and it worsens, I worry something is gonna hurt us” –– Like I said before, I’m a person that hides my feelings instead of coming to terms with them and feel them. But the thing is: When I am bottling them up, they continue to worsen and I get more and more nervous, till I finally decide to tell someone what’s going on.
  • “Give it to your sister, it doesn't hurt” –– I like to state again what I said earlier: I am nowhere near being the oldest sibling in my family, but I still feel that pressure. More often than not, I say to people––whether they be my family or friends––that it doesn’t hurt when people give to me their burdens: Something physical, them telling me what’s going on in their life, etc.. And frankly, it doesn’t really hurt me, but there are times where I get overwhelmed. I still love my friends and family and I really can’t say “no” when they ask me to do something.

Anyways, that’s enough from me.

I just watched this over the break and am loving it. The music was really good, and I loved the plotline. My favorite character was Isabela (after we found out the truth) because I thought that her story arc was interesting and I liked that there were easter eggs for it all through the movie. Like in "We don't talk about Bruno", her part is about how he told her that everything would be perfect. That doesn't seem that bad until you realize that she doesn't want to be perfect! My favorite song was "What Else Can I Do" because I loved the character development and plotlines that both stemmed from the song. I also identify with the song a bit, I am a perfectionist and often expect myself to be more perfect than I can be. The freedom that came with the song was probably my favorite part. 

3 hours ago, Ookla the Theoretical said:

Like in "We don't talk about Bruno", her part is about how he told her that everything would be perfect. That doesn't seem that bad until you realize that she doesn't want to be perfect!

Technically, he told her that the life of her dreams would be promised and someday be hers, which I think is a lot better. Of course, everyone assumes that the life of her dreams is the perfection, and that's kind of what she's promised, but she does eventually get the freedom and family that is the real life of her dreams.

There's also the whole "he told me that my power would grow like the grapes that thrive on the vine" and it DID but not in the perfect flowery way.

14 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

Technically, he told her that the life of her dreams would be promised and someday be hers, which I think is a lot better. Of course, everyone assumes that the life of her dreams is the perfection, and that's kind of what she's promised, but she does eventually get the freedom and family that is the real life of her dreams.

There's also the whole "he told me that my power would grow like the grapes that thrive on the vine" and it DID but not in the perfect flowery way.

Ah, that's right. I was thinking about the line in the wrong way. Of course, I did watch the movie at 2 in the morning, so I may have just misremembered. :D

Just now, Mystic Syn said:

What did you think of Encanto?

I thought it was pretty good.  We watched it over three days, so I'm not as emotional about it as I maybe could have been, but the music was fun, and I liked the story.  Bruno's definitely my favorite character, but I relate to Luisa and Isabela more.