Hey, y'all! There are 24 hours left until the Day ends. Get your votes in by then! A few other announcements:

Please include @Fifth Scholar and myself, but not @little wilson, in your PMs to other players.

Smokers have their copperclouds on by default, and must send in an action to turn them off.

Try to be more careful of which account you're on when you post in thread; we've already had two Oops Awards given out. (If you do mess up and realize, hide your post and edit out the content.)

And if you want to do your own death writeup, feel free! Just send it in your GM PM. :)

Reads (no particular order within any list):

Village: Crocodile, Albatross

Light Village: Meerkat, Penguin, Octopus, Ostrich, Scorpion

Null: Everyone who hasn't posted (see below), Axolotl, Lion, Falcon, Dingo, Vulture, Beagle

Light Spiked: Zebra, Iguana, Chameleon

Spiked: Hyena, Gorilla

People who haven't posted: Mouse, Dragonfly, Heron, Elephant, Toucan, Rhinoceros, Flamingo. It'd be great to hear from all of you. If you've posted, my apologies, but I don't remember.

I don't feel great about my Hyena, Chameleon, Iguana, Scorpion, or Penguin reads but other than that I think it's about where I stand. Obviously I don't think the team is Zebra/Iguana/Chameleon/Hyena/Gorilla (I think there's 6 anyway) but that's just how D1 goes. Too many nulls and inactives to tell anything definite.

I do actually think I feel the best today about killing someone in my Null category, which seems counterintuitive but there's something about anon games (*cough* lack of meta *cough*) that makes it especially difficult to pin down reads. (*cough* Praise the Ja *cough*) I'd like to develop them more before I kill someone who posts. I'm fine with any of my bottom five dying but I myself will likely vote one of my Nulls. The village and light village categories are of course off the table.

That being said, I also don't want my vote to be uselessly on someone who hasn't posted at all. Out of the ones who have posted, Lion, Falcon and Beagle effectively haven't, so that leaves Axolotl (who out of the remaining Nulls I like the best due to their vote), Vulture, who seems to have a legitimate reason for their absence, and Dingo who as far as we've heard hasn't, and who posted thoughts that just mirrored thoughts already posted. Vote, as always, subject to change at EoD (love you GMs) but as of now that's where I feel best voting.

Zebra also falls into the same category as Dingo but we're Jaist buddies so /shrug :D.

Praise the Ja!

13 minutes ago, Oxblood Beagle said:

Especially D1, when votes are made up and reasonings don't matter.

That's why I'm voting for a more Null read. I want to feel like I'm killing someone for a not made-up reason and mostly still don't feel good enough about my elim reads.

It's like- "I read this semi-active person as elim, but not enough to kill them (yet), so I'll vote for someone less active with almost as much reason for me to kill them."

Does that make more sense? It is odd, I'll give you that. But odd ≠ elim.

11 minutes ago, Salmon Meerkat said:

ja rule jawohl

Ja rules all! Praise the Ja!

10 minutes ago, Opal Lion said:

Lion knows that the Ja isn't the real god. He knows that the only real god is Trell.

Su lifted his head towards the painful noise of blasphemy. "Who is this Trell who dares defy the Ja, the one true god, the divine, esteemed, Ja?" Su questioned. "PRAISE THE JA!" he screeched, for impact.

7 minutes ago, Violet Axolotl said:

@Coral Swan, could I persuade you to join my vote on Gorilla? You have them as elim, and they have posted.

It's definitely not out of reason. I plan to ISO them shortly (and the whole thread, really. I skimmed a bit while I made my reads list but mostly to confirm my memory concerning the inactives) and I'll let you know what I decide. I don't know whether I feel stronger about Hyena or Gorilla, since some of my worries about my perception of Hyena vanished once I made my own list. I could try to explain why, but frankly it'd be difficult, and that's not me trying to get out of reasoning.

Praise the Ja!

Edited by Coral Swan

The people here were far too boring.

Not enough happened in the sleepy little town Edeis, unfortunately, found herself in. There was news, of course. Koloss coming into town, hellbent on utter destruction. That wasn't entertaining though, just scary. Who got enjoyment out of news of impending doom, no matter how outrageous? Not Edeis, at least. She'd skip town before then, find herself another little place to hide away. No Koloss for her, thank you very much. Too pretty of a face to ruin.

No, no, Tyrian Falls needed to liven up a little. Get something else on their minds besides the Koloss. Too many people were too quiet. Needed to speak up more. She could get them talking, maybe. Just the right words.

"Violet Axolotl seems a little over eager, don't you think?"

--

There are TOO MANY ANIMAL NAMES my brain is not working. Time to read everything over a few more times and take note of who's said what. Needed to get something out there though.

Vote will likely change.

1 hour ago, Magenta Albatross said:

So I guess based on what people have brought up... 

I really don't have any ideas on who to vote for, I just know we'll need someone to have several more votes than the others to try to avoid vote manip...

... so I won't jump on anything yet.

Are you a gardener? Because you're hedging right now. I particularly dislike that you've planned out placing your vote late in the round. Relatedly, there's been as many "my vote might change" asterisks going around as there's been votes with such blatantly poor reasoning that their casters must be village. 

My experience aligns with one of those individual's. Like Meerkat, I received PMs from Scorpion and Albatross. 

2 minutes ago, Onyx Flamingo said:

There are TOO MANY ANIMAL NAMES 

If it helps, most of us can be called by color names instead. 

2 hours ago, Saffron Iguana said:

I think how focused someone is on the end of the game is directly related to how optimistic they are. Octopus thinks this will go down to the wire, so I think they need a hug. You can't decline, I know for a fact you have at least two arms that you aren't using right now you. 

"The world must be purged of false gods! Cleansed of their unholiness! We must Preserve the true faiths and eradicate the false religions!"

Considering the fact that that almost always happens, ya I'm not so optimistic. Village has been winning more often lately though.

Edited by Scarlet Octopus

16 minutes ago, Scarlet Octopus said:

"The world must be purged of false gods! Cleansed of their unholiness! We must Preserve the true faiths and eradicate the false religions!"

Su grinned. This one, they had a chance at exaltation. "Praise the Ja!"

~

Flamingo's post puts them solidly in Light Village for me. Their tone and level of commitment to their vote both seem pure.

I haven't received any PMs :( If the Ja wills it, I suppose... sent a few though. Not enough.

Praise the Ja!

Amber Vulture
   ? was up for vote for a little bit mid-cycle, didn't feel like anyone was too motivated to exe them or to save them

Amethyst Scorpion

Azure Mouse

Charcoal Hyena
    + made the effort to share a reads list early, even if I don't agree with it

Chartreuse Penguin
   "edit: this is a weird question Hyena, but why didn't you write Plum Rhinoceros' name in bold under the inactives' list while everyone else's name is bolded? :eyes:" feels like a village brand of overanalyzing

Coral Swan
   finding "village slip" in a post by chameleon, even if I don't actually agree that the statement in question was alignment indicative
   repeatedly not voting in accord with their own suspicion list
   having a pretty good explanation for why they did the above
   + reads list

Emerald Falcon

Fuchsia Ostrich

Ivory Dragonfly

Magenta Albatross

Mauve Crocodile

Melon Dingo

Mint Heron

Onyx Flamingo

Opal Lion

Oxblood Beagle
   vote feels moderately opportunistic

Pearl Chameleon
   first paragraph of first post is asking village coinshots to hold off on shooting for now

Plum Rhinoceros

Quartz Zebra

Saffron Iguana
   ? idk every time I ask them to elaborate on a thought process it feels NAI

Salmon Meerkat
   + quality PM conversationalist
   - threatened to smack me

Sapphire Elephant

Scarlet Octopus
   + properly paranoid

Sunburst Toucan

Turquoise Gorilla
   ½ village point for treating elim!coinshot and elim!mistborn the same in roles analysis, which feels unrealistic for a genuine eliminator, unless it is acting

Violet Axolotl
   trying to persuade people onto a train, you only tend to do that if you really believe to some extent that your vote is the best option and are willing to own the consequences

Edited by Mauve Crocodile

16 hours ago, Chartreuse Penguin said:

same reason you pinged em :P although in hindsight I should've pinged them along with the vote too. And as for why not anyone that's posted, it was partly because I somehow missed the existence of an entire page's worth of posts, and partly because I just didnt want to vote on anyone active right at that moment (in case anybody missed it, the initial vote count that I posted was only reflective of the first page). From my very wrong perspective, the vote was split three ways so I thought it'd be fun to have it split FOUR ways :P 

Charcoal Hyena

Before anyone demands for a reason, this is largely just gut :P Their first ever post being this big reads list kinda rubs me the wrong way cuz on one hand it's always great n all to have reads, but it's also often used by elims early in the game to gain village cred cuz they can always switch their reads up after this because 'it's only Day 1' and also this sneaky statement here just throws em all out the window dont it? :P Non-committal vibe

edit: This is a weird question Hyena, but why didn't you write Plum Rhinoceros' name in bold under the inactives' list while everyone else's name is bolded? :eyes:

And it begins! Thank you for the quick response to my question. I hadn't been there for the edits, so didn't realize how big a gap there was between you laying your vote down and you adjusting the post. Makes sense, and agreed that an @ would have helped.

I can't say anything for other elims using early reads list, but what I can say is that I began writing the post before even logging in and learning my alignment. For me, it's easiest to compartmentalize players into colors (green meaning I don't want to lynch them today, yellow meaning I want to interact with this person more and figure them out better before I decide, and red meaning people I find suspicious and want to put on the defensive). I mostly solve games via Process of Elimination, and generally am better at finding villagers for being villagery over elims being elimmy. By narrowing the pool down, I'm usually able to focus my efforts and pinpoint the most likely suspect. Furthermore, I wanted my post to serve as a kind of "ice-breaker" for the other active players by giving them all something they could respond to. I haven't played a game in a very long time, but this strategy is one I used often. I figured it'd be especially useful since I have no (known) past rapport to banter about while probing others with questions.

As for switching reads bit, that's actually a good thing! Generally, if you have a reads list from a villager every day with thought processes attached, you'll see a very consistent and gradual progression. Meanwhile, eliminators switching reads with poor or forced reasoning becomes obvious, allowing us to root them out later :) if it weren't so much work, I would encourage all villagers to keep a similar record public.

re:edit: When I was trying to @ Plum Rhino, the tags had stopped working. I tried a few things like completely deleting the line with his name and trying with a fresh line, but that didn't work. I ended up having to copy/paste the whole post and refresh the page. When I went to @ Plum, his name had been removed and the bold had be cleared. I didn't even notice until you pointed it out. 

13 hours ago, Saffron Iguana said:

Hey Hyena, are you a singularly focused herb collector, because based on the size of that post I disagree, it seems you have a lot of thyme! Thank you for the reads list. You may want to consider using a quote box for them to differentiate your reads and votes if you're planning on using red and green.

Hey Saffron! I'm loving your puns. I'll take that feedback to heart in the future!

12 hours ago, Coral Swan said:

In my opinion, if you think you would have done something exactly the same as someone else did it that's enough of a reason for a D1 village read. Considering you mentioned them in multiple times in your reads of other players I think it's weird you don't have a read on them.

I hate that I read your post as elim because of the way it was constructed, but here we are. I'm not a fan of the single elim read you have either, it seems rather weak. Normally when making a huge list like that there's more than one red name on it- and yes, I know that we're barely 12 hours into D1 but that alone might be the reason for my read of your post.

My initial read of Pearl was village for that exact reason, Coral. However, when I saw them get put on defense by accumulating votes, I realized that entire interaction would need to be examined more thoroughly. Hence yellow, meaning "I gotta feel this person out."

I'm sorry the way I constructed my post is offputting :( it was mostly for my benefit, although I did try to maximize the discussion generation within the little amount of time I had. As for the one red name, Amethyst was really just a yellow that I wanted to put on the defensive. I know they responded, so I'm looking forward to seeing their response. Other than that, I can't say I have a single good lead on an elim so far.

10 hours ago, Scarlet Octopus said:

My initial vote wasn't very thorough, mostly a gut tone read about bad principles that was strengthened by subsequent posts. And I'm not going to do reads due to bad memory and lack of time to reread thread. Might eventually.

Hm. That definitely wasn't the impression I got. Though it was gut based, you asked Pearl four solid questions. I would consider that thorough compared to most other D1 votes :P

On the note of reads, don't feel pressured to make a list or anything. I was just looking for even one or two opinions on anyone else. Surely something must have stood out by now.

4 hours ago, Mauve Crocodile said:

On the one hand, if you think it's E/E than my name really ought be in red, no?

On the other hand, most of the contents of this read are factually incorrect.

On the anatomically dubious third hand, you posted a reads list! Which, this early, is worth one (1) Village Point in my fraying and ill-kept ledger. Coming up with reads this early is hard, but it's even harder for an evilperson, methinks.

I raised it as a possibility, but the possibility alone doesn't guarantee either of you are an elim. I suppose my reads list would have made a lot more sense if I had explained my zones in a legend, rather than clarifying in this post xD

I believe that covers most of the direct replies. I will have to go over all the page 3.5-4 posts now, so expect another reply soon :)

edit:

8 hours ago, Amethyst Scorpion said:

Coral is a helpful players with lovely opinions. They're keeping their options open alignment-wise.

Saffron has interesting but justified opinions on Seekers and Lurchers. Elim Lurchers are only helpful for WGGs or if a village Coinshot guesses right

New players have as much chance of being elims as anyone.

I'd like for Salmon to be village. I'm not seeing the chaos in their posts.

So Saffron's second post didn't push you into village reading them, which means it wasn't until after Saffron-Pearl interactions.

You can add qualifiers to all my posts if you want. There are some in this post for reference.

Almost missed this. Wasn't exactly the response I expected. While I don't exactly understand what you mean in the last line, I appreciate you giving thoughts on a few players. Regarding my village read of Magenta, it wasn't only because he seemed like a new player. It was because his questions most likely came from a young villager mindset.

Edited by Charcoal Hyena

33 minutes ago, Scarlet Octopus said:

"Down with the Ja! The world must be cleansed of evil! We must preserve that which is pure a Ruin that which is corrupt!"

Never before in the history of the cosmere had an opinion changed as quickly as Su's did regarding the zealot before him.

His blood boiled at the sound of someone chanting for the Ja's downfall, for calling the Ja evil. The Ja was eternal! The Ja could not and would not be brought down! The Ja was truth, light, clarity, purpose!

Su took a breath to stop himself from lashing out, despite the steam pouring from his ears. He would show that the Ja brought piece of mind and control over one's emotions. But it was hard. Oh, it was so, so, hard.

But even the deserving deserved a second chance.

"Friend." Su forced himself to say, the lie scorching his tongue as it left. "By the Ja, I grant you a chance at forgiveness; praise the Ja." The calm tone which he forced himself to use was truly a chore. "In this the Ja will forgive you, and you can still be saved."

14 minutes ago, Charcoal Hyena said:

I can't say anything for other elims using early reads list, but what I can say is that I began writing the post before even logging in and learning my alignment. For me, it's easiest to compartmentalize players into colors (green meaning I don't want to lynch them today, yellow meaning I want to interact with this person more and figure them out better before I decide, and red meaning people I find suspicious and want to put on the defensive). I mostly solve games via Process of Elimination, and generally am better at finding villagers for being villagery over elims being elimmy. By narrowing the pool down, I'm usually able to focus my efforts and pinpoint the most likely suspect. Furthermore, I wanted my post to serve as a kind of "ice-breaker" for the other active players by giving them all something they could respond to. I haven't played a game in a very long time, but this strategy is one I used often. I figured it'd be especially useful since I have no (known) past rapport to banter about while probing others with questions.

I like and appreciate this, a lot. Though I think the part about you starting the post prior to learning your alignment is NAI. Wonder if we've played before. Time will tell!

My initial read of Pearl was village for that exact reason, Coral. However, when I saw them get put on defense by accumulating votes, I realized that entire interaction would need to be examined more thoroughly. Hence yellow, meaning "I gotta feel this person out."

This does make more sense with a further explanation of the yellow.

I'm sorry the way I constructed my post is offputting :( it was mostly for my benefit, although I did try to maximize the discussion generation within the little amount of time I had. As for the one red name, Amethyst was really just a yellow that I wanted to put on the defensive. I know they responded, so I'm looking forward to seeing their response. Other than that, I can't say I have a single good lead on an elim so far.

Don't be, it's my own interpretation of it. One I'm rethinking (as if I wasn't already, ha); this response has been very well put-together

Praise the Ja!

Edited by Coral Swan
RP word choice. Praise the Ja!

1 hour ago, Coral Swan said:

It's like- "I read this semi-active person as elim, but not enough to kill them (yet), so I'll vote for someone less active with almost as much reason for me to kill them."

Does that make more sense? It is odd, I'll give you that. But odd ≠ elim.

That makes a little more sense, but I'm also in the camp of having ignored too many gut suspicions in the past that turned out to be right. Which is why I'm all for voting on suspicious reads regardless of post count or explainable reasoning.

Just now, Oxblood Beagle said:

That makes a little more sense, but I'm also in the camp of having ignored too many gut suspicions in the past that turned out to be right. Which is why I'm all for voting on suspicious reads regardless of post count or explainable reasoning.

Ah, I can sympathize with the gut problem. My head just doesn't sync with it; when I trust it, it's wrong, and when I don't, it's right. I guess that's why they're different.

Understood, I respect your incorrect read :P And our slightly differing opinions.

Praise the Ja!

Me about to guess Charcoal Hyena is Fifth only to find to Fifth is IMing...

Anyway, my interactions will be limited for a couple of days, irl stuff, hoping it'll get better as game goes along. Have skimmed through and got gut reads -

Freddieeee, what are we doing heree??

We're here to find bad guys, Bane.

And eat them?

No, Bane. We're going to uncover the and write about it in our newspaper.

And then eat them?

*sigh* Fine, maaaaybe and then eat them. Now, shush, I've found a guy who's seems like a decent guy.

"Hey, @Coral Swan, why do you have Mauve Crocodile as your top village read? I'm gut reading them as evil and I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but something feels off about their posts. I don't like their first vote on Chameleon either."

Fredddiee, can we eat Crocodile? 

Shhh, Bane, no! We aren't sure if he's a bad guy yet.

What about that guy over there? 

Octopus? I actually think he's one of the good ones. And no, Bane. I know they have like, 9 brains but you cannot eat them.

*grumble grumble* Fine *grumble grumble*

Edited by Fuchsia Ostrich

11 minutes ago, Fuchsia Ostrich said:

"Hey, @Coral Swan, why do you have Mauve Crocodile as your top village read? I'm gut reading them as evil and I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but something feels off about their posts. I don't like their first vote on Chameleon either."

Because absolutely everything about their posts scream village to me :P Their early reads were oddly specific for an elim to make, in my opinion, and their approach to solving (the + - reads list in particular) tonal feels very solid to me.

Praise the Ja!

8 minutes ago, Fuchsia Ostrich said:

Me about to guess Charcoal Hyena is only to find to Fifth is IMing...

:ph34r: To be clear, though, I am only a co-GM. The Cursor of Doom ( @little wilson ) is your benevolent dictator IM, I just get paid* to do writeups and make sarcastic commentary in your PMs, so make sure to add me and El to all of them :P 

*payment is in schadenfreude at your collective suffering

48 minutes ago, Mauve Crocodile said:

Amber Vulture
   ? was up for vote for a little bit mid-cycle, didn't feel like anyone was too motivated to exe them or to save them

Amethyst Scorpion

Charcoal Hyena
    + made the effort to share a reads list early, even if I don't agree with it

Chartreuse Penguin
   "edit: this is a weird question Hyena, but why didn't you write Plum Rhinoceros' name in bold under the inactives' list while everyone else's name is bolded? :eyes:" feels like a village brand of overanalyzing

Coral Swan
   finding "village slip" in a post by chameleon, even if I don't actually agree that the statement in question was alignment indicative
   repeatedly not voting in accord with their own suspicion list
   having a pretty good explanation for why they did the above
   + reads list

This may be my favorite reads list format I've ever seen. Bravo my friend.

Okay, think I've caught up. I'd still like to go back and comb the Pearl vote nexus, but it's actually very late for me and I should hit the bed :( 

I'll update the vote count, however.

• (3) Pearl Chameleon: Scarlet Octopus, Mauve Crocodile, Salmon Meerkat
  • (1) Charcoal Hyena: Chartreuse Penguin, 
  • (1) Amethyst Scorpion: Charcoal Hyena, 
  • (1) Torquoise Gorilla: Violet Axlotlt, 
  • (1) Scarlet Octopus: Amber Vulture, 
  • (1) Melon Dingo: Coral Swan, 
  • (1) Coral Swan: Oxblood Beagle, 
  • (1) Violet Axlotl: Onyx Flamingo, 
  • (1) Mauve Crocodile: Fuchsia Ostrich, 

I'm sorry to leave my vote where it is, but first thing in the morning I intend to figure out where I stand on Pearl and his voters, as well as the others I have in yellow who are voting elsewhere.

G'day/g'night everyone!

21 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

:ph34r: To be clear, though, I am only a co-GM. The Cursor of Doom ( @little wilson ) is your benevolent dictator IM, I just get paid* to do writeups and make sarcastic commentary in your PMs, so make sure to add me and El to all of them :P 

I request a refund! No sarcastic commentary has been made in any of my PMs :P.

2 hours ago, Mauve Crocodile said:

- threatened to smack me

GET

YOUR

OWN

SALMON

HANDS

OFF

MY

SALMON

1 hour ago, Fifth Scholar said:

r u even paid bro

where is my sarcastic commentary i didn't get any neither

sir i would like to file a complaint