Weaponizing the Rhythms?

Trusk'our

Question

Is there a way to amplify the Rhythms? Could a loud, but precise speaker be used with Intent to create an anti-rhythm?

Would someone holding more innate investiture be able to hum a rhythm more strongly than someone with less innate investiture?

Could a sword with the ability to resonate a rhythm be instilled with the ability to create an anti-rhythm, causing extra pain to something it was designed to be the opposite of? What if you awakened that sword? Would that amplify it’s ability to create an anti-rhythm, if you used a specific command telling it to do that?

If two people are humming a rhythm, one using the positive tone, the other the anti-version, would they cancel each other out through destructive interference? Could it be in the future of the Stormlight Archive that the humans and singers on the battlefield both hum anti-rhythms to try and incapacitate the others' surgebinders, whilst humming their own rhythm to nullify the enemy's anti-rhythm?

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Trusk'our said:

Is there a way to amplify the Rhythms? Could a loud, but precise speaker be used with Intent to create an anti-rhythm?

Would someone holding more innate investiture be able to hum a rhythm more strongly than someone with less innate investiture?

Could a sword with the ability to resonate a rhythm be instilled with the ability to create an anti-rhythm, causing extra pain to something it was designed to be the opposite of? What if you awakened that sword? Would that amplify it’s ability to create an anti-rhythm, if you used a specific command telling it to do that?

If two people are humming a rhythm, one using the positive tone, the other the anti-version, would they cancel each other out through destructive interference? Could it be in the future of the Stormlight Archive that the humans and singers on the battlefield both hum anti-rhythms to try and incapacitate the others' surgebinders, whilst humming their own rhythm to nullify the enemy's anti-rhythm?

Speakers? Let's take this up a notch. How about lightweavers blasting the anti-rhythm of Odium at 200 decibels?

On 12/21/2021 at 1:37 AM, Oltux72 said:

As far as we know there is no such thing as an anti-rhythm. There are anti-tones.

Yes, you could probably do what the Singers do with Progression for agriculture with Division. That would be a weapon of sorts.

Oops. I meant to say anti-tones.

20 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Oops. I meant to say anti-tones.

Well, then I am afraid I have to ask you to make up your mind. Can you weaponize the rhythms? Potentially, even likely, yes, you can. To an greater extent than already existng weapons? Considering what would happen if you soulcast a few tons of rock into antimatter, the answer to that is most likely negative.

Can Anti-Investiture do more? That is harder to say, as we know two uses

1. You can blow up a gem stone
  2. You can kill a noncorporal entity

We have no idea how bad you can get #1 with engineering. But do you need it?

PS: For those with less physics training. A ton of antmatter will convert two tons of mass into energy. About 90% will be useful (you are making a lot of neutrinos). You end up with roughly 40 gigatons of TNT equivalent per ton of matter soulcast into antimatter. That is still over a thousand times less than a major asteroid impact. But it can render a continent uninhabitable. Ashyn is easy to explain.

On 12/31/2021 at 1:06 PM, Oltux72 said:

Well, then I am afraid I have to ask you to make up your mind.

I guess what I originally meant was regarding the tones, not the rhythms, since the anti-tones are what we've seen used to repel those who are invested, such as the Fused. Sorry I got those mixed up.

I actually don't know that the rhythms could be weaponized in the way I was suggesting, since they're more like a way for those who can attune them to bond certain spren, or convey emotions.

It's the tones that have an opposite, which we've already seen used to disrupt invested beings, even if it wasn't that powerful.

Once again, sorry about my ignorance :(