Allomantic Hemalurgy?

Trusk'our

Question

Hemalurgy works ripping off peices of someone's spiritweb, then stapling it into someone else's spiritweb to give them that stolen ability. But an allomancer who got their power from hemalurgy burns a metal, do they draw from Ruin, or Preservation? In addition, is the investiture inside the spike Preservation's investiture forced to work for that person, or is it a copy of the same ability, but made of Ruin's power?

8 answers to this question

It’s all weird. Those two Shards interacted in unique ways, and Brandon made mistakes while writing that he now has to fix.

For example, originally you had to have Preservation interact with your Spiritweb and give you Allomancy, if you wanted to be able to burn atium… which is Ruin’s god metal. But anybody could burn Preservation’s god metal. Brandon has said that that is wrong, and in future books anyone from Scadrial should be able to burn atium.

Both Preservation and Ruin can fuel the Metallic Arts. With Hemalurgically granted Allomancy, it should still be Allomancy, burning metals to get access to Preservation's Investiture though Ruin could fuel it directly too. Hemalurgy is kinda the same as a forced connection, so the attributes stolen in the spike is still Preservation aligned, it's not a Ruin copy. Ruin's magic just allows the theft.

15 hours ago, Honorless said:

Both Preservation and Ruin can fuel the Metallic Arts. With Hemalurgically granted Allomancy, it should still be Allomancy, burning metals to get access to Preservation's Investiture though Ruin could fuel it directly too. Hemalurgy is kinda the same as a forced connection, so the attributes stolen in the spike is still Preservation aligned, it's not a Ruin copy. Ruin's magic just allows the theft.

Im not sure that's true.  With the exception of burning Atium which was a Preservation scheme to Trap Ruin's power, I dont think it was compatible with Allomancy in Era1 just like the Mist wasnt compatible with Hemalurgy back then.

EDIT: Nevermind, see below

Edited by Ookla the Ingeniator

2 hours ago, Ookla the Ingeniator said:

Im not sure that's true.  With the exception of burning Atium which was a Preservation scheme to Trap Ruin's power, I dont think it was compatible with Allomancy in Era1 just like the Mist wasnt compatible with Hemalurgy back then.

Ruin can

Czanos

Preservation can fuel Allomancy, (minus atium.) but can Ruin fuel Hemalurgy? (Or atium?) And could Sazed fuel all three Metallic Arts?

Brandon Sanderson

Both gods could, if they wanted, fuel all of the Metallic Arts. Preservation is stronger at fueling Allomancy, Ruin stronger at fueling Allomancy or Feruchemy when it has been given via a spike. Both are balanced when it comes to Feruchemy. But this rarely comes up in the books, as it required expending power in a way that the gods were hesitant to do.

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

2 hours ago, Karger said:

I would say that Preservation would still be fueling the ability.  Ruin supplies the investiture needed to make the acquisition of a spike possible. In general Ruin does not like to output large amounts of energy for any reason.

Odium also doesn't like to expend large amounts of investiture, from what I can tell, since he prefers to corrupt other sources of investiture and bend them to his will instead. (Is that correct, or did I assume too much?)

8 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

Odium also doesn't like to expend large amounts of investiture, from what I can tell, since he prefers to corrupt other sources of investiture and bend them to his will instead. (Is that correct, or did I assume too much?)

You are correct.