Oh, my heart, it aches for Hoid!

Knight of Iron

On 11/8/2020 at 10:41 PM, Czernobog said:

Reminds me of a hypothetical discussion years ago with friends regarding vat-grown muscle tissue, sourced from cells from a pig: would it be considered Kosher or halal? The food would no longer be from an unclean animal, because it's just muscle tissue growing in a nutrient bath. It doesn't chew the cud, but it also no longer has split hooves, because it's just muscle tissue growing in a nutrient bath. Etc., etc. Interesting to ponder. 

If the origin cells came from a non-kosher animal, odds are it’s still not-kosher. Note the pot problem. Now, if the cells were taken from fecal matter, that might be fine, because that’s not necessarily considered from the animal.

And, believe it or not, the Rabbis kind of talk about this issue in the Talmud. Although there the meat in question was created by God. Generally that gets brought up in relation to this question.

The Talmud has some weird, but oddly relevant, discussions. Weird, because they discuss a lot of laws about things that don’t normally happen - like created meat - that suddenly became relevant 2000 years later. And then they’ll go off to talk about a world serpent... or whether or not a man can married with a basket of stolen fruit. 

6 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

If the origin cells came from a non-kosher animal, odds are it’s still not-kosher. Note the pot problem. Now, if the cells were taken from fecal matter, that might be fine, because that’s not necessarily considered from the animal.

And, believe it or not, the Rabbis kind of talk about this issue in the Talmud. Although there the meat in question was created by God. Generally that gets brought up in relation to this question.

The Talmud has some weird, but oddly relevant, discussions. Weird, because they discuss a lot of laws about things that don’t normally happen - like created meat - that suddenly became relevant 2000 years later. And then they’ll go off to talk about a world serpent... or whether or not a man can married with a basket of stolen fruit. 

This is one of the many reasons I love Judaism. The answer to "what about this modern issue that nobody could have anticipated until a few decades ago?" is "Someone thought of it centuries ago." shockingly often.

After seeing this thread I remembered something that happened in Oathbringer chapter 68. That was the one where Hoid had that long talk with Shallan in the Kholinar tavern. Remember how the bartender guy brought them both out some food? The food was described to be a cremling. Hoid didn't eat it, which was stressed as a point a lot more than it seemed like it needed to be. The book says that Hoid didn't even seem interested in the food, and waved off any questions about why he wasn't eating.

I... think I know why now. :( 

On 11/11/2020 at 10:07 AM, Matrim's Dice said:

After seeing this thread I remembered something that happened in Oathbringer chapter 68. That was the one where Hoid had that long talk with Shallan in the Kholinar tavern. Remember how the bartender guy brought them both out some food? The food was described to be a cremling. Hoid didn't eat it, which was stressed as a point a lot more than it seemed like it needed to be. The book says that Hoid didn't even seem interested in the food, and waved off any questions about why he wasn't eating.

I... think I know why now. :( 

*heart cracks*

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 6:46 PM, Ookla the Knight said:

Immortality and inability to cause harm to living things reminds me a lot of Preservation, and what Rysn has seems to be the opposite of that. So instead of immortality, short life? Either way, she didn't know what she was signing up for.

She was signing up to "live for more than two more minutes." A decrease in lifespan would be an acceptable outcome to her, I'd say.

That said, I seriously doubt the DawnShard will actively kill her; probably quite the opposite. After all, holding Ruin itself didn't kill Ati directly. He was functionally immortal, although he sprenified pretty bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Being forced to not eat meat is my personal hell. Meat is like 65% of my diet.

(Funny thing, I am forced to not eat meat on 4 days of the year because of some 'holy days'. In reality, it's supposed to be a month and the reason is that back in the day, it would rain a lot during that month, and eating the meat we got from animals made us sick, so there is no religious significance, but my parents still try to force me even now.)

Edited by Aspiring Writer

On 11/8/2020 at 10:32 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

No cheese though... Poor Hoid. Most cheese is made with animal renin.

Not necessarily. 
If we assume there is a Dawnshard of Preservation, or Immortality, then as long as you are not killing something, then it should be fine to eat cheese. 
It really depends on the Dawnshard that affected him. 

1 hour ago, ZenBossanova said:

Not necessarily. 
If we assume there is a Dawnshard of Preservation, or Immortality, then as long as you are not killing something, then it should be fine to eat cheese. 
It really depends on the Dawnshard that affected him. 

He gets physically nauseous at the thought of eating meat, so...