Perpendicularly Ambush Waiting to Happen?

Is anyone else just waiting for Odium to send a strike force through Dalinar’s perpendicularly like how Kaladin and company popped out in Oathbringer? When he opened it in the sample chapters, I was just waiting for an ambush of Fused to jump out. I fully expect it to happen at some point, unless the Stormfather is able to give warning of enemies waiting in Shadesmar. Either way, I think it’s going to happen, even if it takes Dalinar being forced into a corner. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Crucible of Shards said:

Is anyone else just waiting for Odium to send a strike force through Dalinar’s perpendicularly like how Kaladin and company popped out in Oathbringer? When he opened it in the sample chapters, I was just waiting for an ambush of Fused to jump out. I fully expect it to happen at some point, unless the Stormfather is able to give warning of enemies waiting in Shadesmar. Either way, I think it’s going to happen, even if it takes Dalinar being forced into a corner. Thoughts?

Honestly I had not considered that...

I think that if the fused were able to coordinate and launch an assault through a perpendicularity, that would be devastating.

It might be a bit of a problem coordinating exact locations though.

1 minute ago, I Am A Fish said:

Honestly I had not considered that...

I think that if the fused were able to coordinate and launch an assault through a perpendicularity, that would be devastating.

It might be a bit of a problem coordinating exact locations though.

I completely agree. The problem for the Fused, however, is that it takes Dalinar’s concentration to keep it open, so I assume he can close it quickly if he wants or if he is distracted by an unexpected attack. Even if the attack was successful, though, it could give the Fused an unexpected edge.

Just now, Crucible of Shards said:

I completely agree. The problem for the Fused, however, is that it takes Dalinar’s concentration to keep it open, so I assume he can close it quickly if he wants or if he is distracted by an unexpected attack. Even if the attack was successful, though, it could give the Fused an unexpected edge.

The one itty-bitty problem. The fused would probably be facing fresh Radiants.

Still better than no ambush. 

They can reincarnate so I see it as:

1. A way to potentially get close to a Bondsmith for assassination while he is distracted.

2. A way to deny the Radiants their source of temporary unlimited Stormlight.

The second ambush would have much worse odds than the first, but even if the the first was a total bust, it would result in the Radiants having to commit forces to Shadesmar in order to prevent further ambushes. That, or Dalinar just doesn’t open up perpendicularities anymore.

Edited by Crucible of Shards

The tactical prowess this would take. To position Odium’s forces in an exact location in Shadesmar, to force Dalinar to that exact location in the PR, then I suppose forcing a situation where he would need to open a perpendicularity would be the easiest part of the whole thing with what the good guy’s standard tactics now appear to be. Actually... some battle sights are just common sense really. So maybe this wouldn’t be as hard as I originally assumed. That’s terrifying. The more I think about it the easier it seems.

Edited by RazeU

3 hours ago, Karger said:

How do you kill Dalinar when he has unlimited light available?  Also do you really want to get close to that stuff?  I honestly expect Honor's power to be really bad for fused.

I’m not claiming to know the how. I just see an opportunity, and if some of the new fabrial  tech we have been promised would allow the Fused to take out Dalinar quickly and easily, I can’t see them not taking advantage of the perpendicularity loophole. If the Fused have the means to permanently remove Jezrien from play, I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to see this tactic having a chance. Besides, in the sample chapters it says that the Fused have previously tried an assault on Dalinar when they have the numbers. They see taking him down as a legit possibility.

the sample chapters also say that keeping the perpendicularity open takes effort and puts a strain on Dalinar. By now they should be able to guesstimate about how long he can maintain it comfortably. They just need to pop out and disrupt him or wait til he’s had enough and pop out while he’s exhausted, but before he closes it down.

11 minutes ago, Crucible of Shards said:

. I just see an opportunity, and if some of the new fabrial  tech we have been promised would allow the Fused to take out Dalinar quickly and easily, I can’t see them not taking advantage of the perpendicularity loophole

Maybe.  Approaching even a well guarded individual on the battlefield is not impossible.  Also the fused do have transportation.  They could manage this without the perpendicularity.

33 minutes ago, Karger said:

Maybe.  Approaching even a well guarded individual on the battlefield is not impossible.  Also the fused do have transportation.  They could manage this without the perpendicularity.

Oh, I don’t disagree at all that they can take Dalinar down without the perpendicularity. The point I’m trying to make is that the ambush I’m proposing could completely blindside the Radiants, and even if it is unsuccessful, it would force them to change their rules of engagement, as I listed above.

1 minute ago, Crucible of Shards said:

Oh, I don’t disagree at all that they can take Dalinar down without the perpendicularity. The point I’m trying to make is that the ambush I’m proposing could completely blindside the Radiants, and even if it is unsuccessful, it would force them to change their rules of engagement, as I listed above.

It could work it just seems overly complicated.  You would have to get some fused into the CR, get Dalinar to open the perpendicularity at the right moment and even then still have to deal with a supercharged radiant.  Given we have that teleporting fused to worry about I don't think this method particularly viable.  Also any Elsecaller or Lightweaver could check ahead of time and compromise your plan.

I think it’s less complicated than you’re making it out to be. As far as we know, the Fused are still the major power in the CR, so they can go where they want. Dalinar has also acted predictably up to this point, so I don’t think the timing is a problem either. All the Fused need is to engage Dalinar’s forces and have a strike force waiting nearby in the CR. Unless things have changed, the only Elsecaller they have is Jasnah, and she’s not likely to be at a battle personally. Lightweavers are also not likely to be involved in a battle; that’s not their forte. The main advantage is the element of surprise, and I think they have it unless the Stormfather gives a heads up. From what the sample chapters have shown, Dalinar’s only nearby protection in the engagement is Rock’s daughter. She may have shards, but Brandon has not let us know how skilled she is with them, and we don’t have any evidence that she is a Radiant either. In my opinion, Dalinar is far too lax with his personal defense.

2 minutes ago, Crucible of Shards said:

Lightweavers are also not likely to be involved in a battle; that’s not their forte

A Lightweaver can be quite useful in battle.  I would not be surprised if the fourth bridge has one(as a soulcaster for supplies if nothing else).  Either way if they are not successful the very first time or if Dalinar thinks of it first this will become pretty standard. 

15 hours ago, Karger said:

A Lightweaver can be quite useful in battle.  I would not be surprised if the fourth bridge has one(as a soulcaster for supplies if nothing else).  Either way if they are not successful the very first time or if Dalinar thinks of it first this will become pretty standard. 

I agree that it would become pretty standard. That’s one of the advantages of springing an ambush. It has strategic and tactical consequences for the remainder of the Desolation. Not only would they have to commit a Lightweaver to keep an eye on the CR, but if Dalinar ever wants to use his perpendicularity with relative safety, he will ALSO have to commit forces to guard the perpendicularity from the CR side as well. It’s a division of forces that the Radiants may or may not be able to afford. Either way, it reduces the amount of troops they can field at once. Unless, of course, Dalinar stops using his perpendicularity in order to deny the Fused an entry point to the command staff.

15 minutes ago, Crucible of Shards said:

he will ALSO have to commit forces to guard the perpendicularity from the CR side as well

Only if the fused want to keep a large number of forces in hostile territory for long periods of time.  If Dalinar gets pissed off they might find themselves fighting angerspren at various intervals and that is not even considering what local sapient spren might do.

You do bring up some good points about native spren and the Fused having to divide their forces as well. At this point we don’t know numbers on either side of the conflict. However, their reincarnation gives them a unique advantage in taking risks. It will be less costly for them in the long run to take the long shot. When they reincarnate they come back at full power capabilities. The Radiants have to retrain, and Bondsmiths in particular are hard to replace. If the can also take out command staff, it could be devastating.

Logistical question: The Fused that we saw in Shadesmar in OB, were they Fused possessing a Singer and then Transported to Shadesmar physically (the way the Radiants involved were) or were they in their pure spren-form and manifesting a body the way Syl, Pattern, and Maya were? 

If it's the latter, they would either have to arrange a Singer Army to be waiting, or would have to transport an entire Singer army to the Shadesmar and move them with the Fuse to be waiting Hosts.  And that assumes they could possess new hosts with any Perpendicularity instead of needing the Everstorm specifically for their reincarnation.