World hopping questions

DuffMcGruff

Question

6 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, DuffMcGruff said:

Could one travel to a world without a perpendicularity via Tia, assuming they knew the proper parameters? Could someone circumvent Bavadin's anti immigration laws via Tia?   

I dont think that would work(under most circumstances) Planets are constantly moving. 

Say i wanted to use Aon Tia to go from Sel to Roshar.

it wouldn’t be one set distance like “oh its 3,560 miles to Roshar(its obvi more than that, but its just an example.) both Sel and Roshar are orbiting their suns which means their both moving and the distance between them is constantly changing.

i imaging it would work, but not until like the Space age cosmere when theyll have a lot of this(probably) worked out

i can see it happening like someone thinks they have the right distance but then end getting transported into the Space around Roshar because the planet is moving

Theres just so many factors you could get wrong, even when using it to travel from somewhere like Arelon to Teod like Raoden did.

there was a good chance that Raoden would’ve messed that up too(he could’ve transported them to high and they’d fall, or he could’ve done it to low and theyd end up in the ground), so imagine using it to from one planet to another

Brightlord Maelstrom

Would there be a way that is reasonably feasible to use Aon Tia to teleport off-world?

Brandon Sanderson

Theoretically yes.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

Brandon Sanderson

Chapter Sixty-Two - Part Two

Raoden's Teleportation

I had to work very hard to make this one work. I think it turned out, but it is a little bit of a stretch. Hopefully, readers will go with me on this one because of the climactic feeling of the near-ending.

Regardless, I do think I gave Raoden all the pieces he needed here. Adien always existed in the book for this one moment–to give Raoden the length measurement he needed to go try to save Sarene. I've established that seons have perfect senses of direction, and I've talked about how to use Aon Tia. More importantly, I think I've established that this is something that Raoden would do. He gets just a shade foolhardy when Sarene is concerned. (It's all her fault.)

There is another important element to this teleportation. I thought it important to involve deity in the climax of what has been such an overtly religious book. You may not believe in God, and it is never my intention to belittle your choices. However, the format of this book has been one that dealt with religion and the way that people interact with their faith. And so, I took this last moment of the book, and gave Raoden an opportunity to call upon the aid of providence.

Raoden arrives safely, despite the odds against his having gotten the distance, direction, and other factors right. You are free to simply think of this as luck, if you wish.

Elantris Annotations (May 12, 2006)

Edited by Eternal Khol

11 minutes ago, DuffMcGruff said:

Could one travel to a world without a perpendicularity via Tia, assuming they knew the proper parameters? Could someone circumvent Bavadin's anti immigration laws via Tia?   

With proper modification sure.  You would have to do some fairly complex calculus homework so that you did not miss but you could definitely make it.  Aons are great like that.  You can do basically anything if you are willing to spend the time making it work.  Also remember Aons are location based.  You would need a workaround if you wanted to get back.

Edited by Karger

10 minutes ago, Karger said:

With proper modification sure.  You would have to do some fairly complex calculus homework so that you did not miss but you could definitely make it.

The problem would be testing and debugging. You basically would have to get it right at the first time.

10 minutes ago, Karger said:

Aons are great like that.  You can do basically anything if you are willing to spend the time making it work.

That raises a point on how good Aons are at seeking stuff. Can you make an Aon that finds a destination based on a description and feeds that into Tia?

19 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

The problem would be testing and debugging. You basically would have to get it right at the first time.

That raises a point on how good Aons are at seeking stuff. Can you make an Aon that finds a destination based on a description and feeds that into Tia?

Been a while since I've read elantris, but from what I recall, you can get pretty in depth with the use of the aons.  seeking something offworld may be hard - it may run out of power as it tries to seek further and further away from Elantris, but in theory I imagine you could set up the basics to work.  but you'd need a lot of study.  Imagine trying to program a deep space probe using only assembly, some of which you had to invent, on hardware you had to create.  at the end of Elantris thats about where they are, I think.

27 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

You could do that with nonliving entities assuming you had a decent return or message system.

28 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Given time yes.  It is just like computer programing.

5 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Can you make an Aon that finds a destination based on a description and feeds that into Tia?

Or a better idea: make an Aon construct that sleuths out particular manifestations of Investiture. Stormlight would probably be easiest to find because it's so kinetic, and Scadrial's metals the hardest, but if you could puzzle the construct out to find that Investiture resonance, you wouldn't have to risk as badly, since you could then link Tia through that to ensure you made it onto the world before narrowing it further.