Hello

ctonicmenace

Just now, The Traveller said:

Hmm I don’t really think that Kelsier in book 1 counts as a villain. 

I mean...he kind of does. He might be a protagonist, but he's not a good person, and if he wasn't overshadowed by the particular combination of TLR and a larger rebellion that made him into a better person in our view. 

He's really not a good person.

10 minutes ago, Invocation said:

He’s really not a good person.

Agreed but what I was trying to say is, we, as a reader, do not really realise that while we read TFE. 
This concern is raised by his crew members and we do begin to question his intentions, but by then he went and got himself killed. Which is both extremely selfless of him, I mean he got himself killed, but also selfish because he literally started a religion in his name! 

His sacrifice, which restored my faith in his goodness at the end of TFE was Undermined by him when he chose not to pass on, my faith in his goodness was shattered when I read Secret History. That is when i realised that ok, he is not exactly a good person either. 

Basically yes, he is one of those bad people who luckily for everyone were on the good side. 

Edited by The Traveller

1 minute ago, The Traveller said:

Agreed but what I was trying to say is, we, as a reader, do not really realise that while we read TFE. 

You may not have, but his vibes were rancid the entirety of the first book for me, and the Square Executions just reinforced those vibes. SH came as no surprise to me, with no need to reevaluate his personality. Maybe it's a personal thing? I don't know.

6 minutes ago, Invocation said:

You may not have, but his vibes were rancid the entirety of the first book for me, and the Square Executions just reinforced those vibes. SH came as no surprise to me, with no need to reevaluate his personality. Maybe it's a personal thing? I don't know.

I did not realise these things in TFE to be honest :)

I still don’t see him as entirely evil. He is a bit whacky but he is also shown to be loyal towards his crew, trusts them and they trust him. He helped Vin, shared full information with her about her powers and gains her trust, becomes her mentor. He wants to help so many downtrodden skaa and TLR does come across as pure evil in TFE. 
I agree that he put Vin in danger but he seemed genuinely regretful of that too. 
I don’t know, I saw him as a brilliant crazy fellow kind of someone on the line there, but someone who is basically good because his goals are for the good. 

But I see where you are at with him as a villain after SH, so kuddos to you for seeing it from the beginning :)

Edited by The Traveller

1 hour ago, Karger said:

We have seen perspectives from Amaram, Moash, Sadeas, Taravangain, and Lin.

Stormlight does sort of count, doesn't it? But it's still more seeing from the perspectives of both sides of the conflict rather than a single credible villain as a point-of-view character

On that note, Dragonsteel might count, when it comes out

• 2 weeks later...