Okay, yet another thought

Oceanic Technocracy

it is a known fact that there are Allomantic Savants, and it has been confirmed that there is a possibility of Feruchemy savants. if we take a Savant Compound of, say, copper, would that make it even stronger? In a simler vein, could it be further impovered with Hemalurgy? Could there, at a point in time, be Hemalurgy savants?

1 hour ago, Oceanic Technocracy said:

it is a known fact that there are Allomantic Savants, and it has been confirmed that there is a possibility of Feruchemy savants. if we take a Savant Compound of, say, copper, would that make it even stronger? In a simler vein, could it be further impovered with Hemalurgy? Could there, at a point in time, be Hemalurgy savants?

There can be any type of Investiture Savants. Technically speaking anyone who had used Investiture enough that it warped their S-DNA is a Savant.

Savantism in Stormlight:

A Soulcaster's Skin turning stonelike and their eyes crystallizing after excessive usage is a good example of Savantism

Edited by The Sovereign

18 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

There can be any type of Investiture Savants. Technically speaking anyone who had used Investiture enough that it warped their S-DNA is a Savant.

You probably want to spoiler the next line, since this is the Mistborn forum.

Savants of any type of investiture are theoretically possible, but some are much more difficult than others. You basically have to be a compounder in order to be a Feruchemical savant. For Hemalurgy, it's sort of weird. Hemalurgy distorts your spiritweb no matter what, so it could be argued that everyone with a spike is a Hemalurgic savant. I'd say koloss and Inquisitors definitely are, but that one is sort of a judgement call.

Yeah, that is what the Lord Ruler was suspected to be: a Full Feruchemist and Lerasium Mistborn Compounder and a Hemalurgist, with Hemalurgic spikes alongside his metalminds:

Dalenthas

Did the Lord Ruler have any Hemalurgic spikes in him? It would seem he'd need to for Ruin to influence him, but it wasn't mentioned. Or did his bracers work as spikes?

Brandon Sanderson

His arm bracers, which pierced his skin, were his spikes.

Footnote: Brandon later clarified this. The Lord Ruler's bracers pierced his skin to provide additional protection from Allomancy, but they were not hemalurgic spikes.
Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

Questioner

Why in the world would the Lord Ruler spike himself?

Brandon Sanderson

...Because he needed to give himself the powers that he didn't have. He could have done it like-- gained the knowledge but the power was gone so fast he actually needed to-- Well no no no, the spikes, the spikes, the spikes. So, it doesn't matter if he was spiked because he was hiding the metals inside himself so people couldn't Push or Pull on them. That's the real reason he was doing that. Does that make sense?

Questioner

No.

Brandon Sanderson

Metal that's inside of him--

Questioner

Ruin influenced him, what did the spiking do?

Brandon Sanderson

Well the metals that were stuck through him were so people couldn’t Push or Pull on them. If they were outside his body people would know he was a Feruchemist. Which is the very thing he was-- so he stuck the metals inside of himself to hide them.

Questioner

And he did that as Hemalurgic spikes?

Brandon Sanderson

I'd have to go back and look because-- Lord Ruler is he spiked or has he just got--

Isaac Stewart

I thought he was... spiked but I can't remem--

Brandon Sanderson

You're asking something that I wrote 12 years ago.

Isaac Stewart

Peter, was the Lord Ruler spiked?

Brandon Sanderson

Lord Ruler was spiked, right?  Or is it just--

Peter Ahlstrom

I don't think so.

Brandon Sanderson

--piereced with metalminds, right? They're not actual spikes, just metalminds.

And I want to ask the Sharders on there [the recorder] about that Lord Ruler question, because I didn’t think he was spiked but--

Isaac Stewart

I think I recall him having the bands with spikes in them?

Footnote: Brandon has previously stated that the Lord Ruler did in fact have Hemalurgic spikes.
Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

As it turned out, he was an Ascended Mistborn not a Lerasium one (see WoB below) and his piercings were so that they could not be Pushed or Pulled by Allomancy.

Chris King

Did the Lord Ruler use lerasium to gain his super Allomantic abilities or did he grant that to himself with the Well's power? If he used the bead, does he count as one of the nine original Allomancers that Sazed mentions?

Brandon Sanderson

Excellent question. He did not use the bead. He-- In all of this he granted himself basically, he rebuilt himself to be extremely powerful and he did not use one of the beads.

Chris King interview (Sept. 24, 2013)

(so he used the Well of Ascension to make himself a Mistborn)

Edited by Honorless
increased clarity

Just now, The Sovereign said:

There can be any type of Investiture Savants. Technically speaking anyone who had used Investiture enough that it warped their S-DNA is a Savant. A good example is a Soulcaster Skin turning to stone and their eyes crystallizing after excessive usage.

Ah, nice. are Soulcasters from Stormlight Archive? haven't read that yet

33 minutes ago, RShara said:

Savants of any type of investiture are theoretically possible, but some are much more difficult than others. You basically have to be a compounder in order to be a Feruchemical savant. For Hemalurgy, it's sort of weird. Hemalurgy distorts your spiritweb no matter what, so it could be argued that everyone with a spike is a Hemalurgic savant. I'd say koloss and Inquisitors definitely are, but that one is sort of a judgement call.

22 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Oh crud! @The Sovereign please spoiler that part!

Whoops, I had it in my head this was the general Cosmere discussion thread. Sorry about that guys; Spoilers applied.

19 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Yeah, that is what the Lord Ruler was suspected to be: a Full Feruchemist and Lerasium Mistborn Compounder and a Hemalurgist, with Hemalurgic spikes alongside his metalminds:

As it turned out, he was an Ascended Mistborn not a Lerasium one (see WoB below) and his piercings were so that they could not be Pushed or Pulled by Allomancy. But Brandon also confirmed that this is possible.

so he used the Well of Ascension to make himself a Mistborn

Those WoBs are pretty confusing. The footnote in the first one(which happened a while before the second one you quoted) says he later clarified that they were not hemalurgic spikes. The second one has a footnote that claims he has said they were Hemalurgic spikes in the past but I had researched this a while ago and the first WoB is the only one touched on it, which leads me to believe the footnote on the second one is wrong. And before you come at me with the Ruin influence thing, he didn't have to have spikes for Ruin to influence him. I think it's more likely that he was mentally unstable and over time his soul developed the cracks that let Ruin in. It probably didn't happen right away, but I can see someone living as long as he did slowly going insane and becoming susceptible to Ruin's influence. 

Just now, Harrycrapper said:

Those WoBs are pretty confusing. The footnote in the first one(which happened a while before the second one you quoted) says he later clarified that they were not hemalurgic spikes. The second one has a footnote that claims he has said they were Hemalurgic spikes in the past but I had researched this a while ago and the first WoB is the only one touched on it, which leads me to believe the footnote on the second one is wrong. And before you come at me with the Ruin influence thing, he didn't have to have spikes for Ruin to influence him. I think it's more likely that he was mentally unstable and over time his soul developed the cracks that let Ruin in. It probably didn't happen right away, but I can see someone living as long as he did slowly going insane and becoming susceptible to Ruin's influence. 

Current canon is that the TLR doesn't have spikes

Just now, Harrycrapper said:

They are confusing! Basically, the latest decision is that TLR rebuilt himself to be a powerful MIstborn with the Well, and didn't usually have Hemalurgic spikes. The bracers he wore were his atiumminds, and they were just piercing his skin to make them even less detectable than they normally would be.

7 minutes ago, Harrycrapper said:

What exactly did you mean when you referred to him as a Hemalurgist then? Just that he preforms a lot of Hemalurgy but doesn't necessarily have any Hemalurgic spikes?

I was referring to the theory that the TLR's power was a result of all Three Metallic Arts

And The Lord Ruler was a Hemalurgist, yes, Ruin granted him the knowledge at the Well

Edited by Honorless

1 hour ago, RShara said:

I like to imagine Hemalurgic constructs like Koloss and Inquisitors are something like a controlled Savant